35 replies to this topic

#21 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

the goal is to practice discreet elements. a drill doesn't have to look directly like when you're doing whatever it is you do.

for example, form running for track athletes. high knees, butt kickers, flippers and such. you don't run like any one of those single drills and yet they are an important component to developing good speed and form.

you're working your eyes here primarily. what your trigger finger does is inconsequential to the drill, so don't do anything with it.

• teenlaqueefah likes this

#22 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Like Ben said" That having been said, keep in mind the only purpose here is to work on the transitions."

Trigger pull isn't a part of transition.

#23 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Well, the new transition drill was interesting. I have a habit of leaving the same target arrays up (because lazy) so the random targets combined with no trigger pulls definitely removed some of the extraneous actions in the old 2-2-2 drill to really focus down on just transitions. I won't be tossing out that bastard 1.6 par time drill just because I want to regularly nail it as a matter of pride, but I do like the new drill a bit more for actual transition work. The two of them together will likely result in better gains.

#24 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

Well, therein lies the complication: I don't transition from target to target without touching the trigger when I shoot. I understand that Ben doesn't want us taking the time to pull the trigger during this drill, but don't understand where the trigger finger should be. Perhaps (probably?) it doesn't matter.

​It doesn't... buuuut... very frequently I observe people simulating firing shots or some other shit when they have their finger on the trigger. If I say don't touch the trigger then that becomes less likely.

#25 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

Well, the new transition drill was interesting. I have a habit of leaving the same target arrays up (because lazy) so the random targets combined with no trigger pulls definitely removed some of the extraneous actions in the old 2-2-2 drill to really focus down on just transitions. I won't be tossing out that bastard 1.6 par time drill just because I want to regularly nail it as a matter of pride, but I do like the new drill a bit more for actual transition work. The two of them together will likely result in better gains.

​Look at the "diagram" for this. Do not use the el prez array. Use some other shit.

#26 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:02 PM

I mixed it up for the new drills, just mean to say this got me to change up the el prez array a little more, I was getting complacent.

#27 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

My favorite dry fire drills are transitioning between simulated 15 yard partials, focusing on trigger control, giving both shots 100% attention, pushing the gun hard to the next target, and stopping it cleanly on the next target. I also like arrays that end with hard targets and again, focusing on calling two perfect shots and THEN leaving the position aggressively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

Pull the trigger before the beep.

sounds like a dq to me

• Crash likes this

#29 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

I am reworking "Dry Fire Training" right now.

​You hookers should try this and let me know what you think. 

I ran this drill for a few minutes with my limited gat, then again with my open 22 (trying to get used to a dot for steel challenge next year). I noticed a big difference when i really started snapping my eyes to the next target. 

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#30 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

​It doesn't... buuuut... very frequently I observe people simulating firing shots or some other shit when they have their finger on the trigger. If I say don't touch the trigger then that becomes less likely.

So the point is to learn how to move the gun, aim the gun, "transition", and pulling the trigger interferes with the focus of the drill? 

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#31 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

It does for me, YMMV. After a while you can find yourself starting to speed up and chase the trigger, basically paying less attention to the sights, which are the whole point of the drill. It's a drill for improving transitions and only transitions, you lump it with other skills when you run things like the el prez.

Less extraneous shit to get in the way of snapping your eyes around.

#32 Slow250

Slow250

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

If USPSA had targets that looks like light switches I would be awesome. 

• chachacha, peterthefish and TCB like this

#33 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Ben, are you easing into the spot?

I find that if I try to Transition to the exact spot, I over shoot it and must come back a bit. Even when I get as relaxed as I can. But, if I consciously decide that the edge of the target is where I'm going, then I can sort of slide controllably into the spot.

I know that is ripe with "that's what she said comments", but I'm definitely that M class mid level guy who needs transition work.
I am a pre PTCRBH Doodie member. For all you post PTCRBH members, EABOD and piss off.

Best post ever,

DR. Yellow Visor Guy said....

"Glocks work. They're like that somewhat thick chick. They're low maintenance, will always put out and generally perform better at it than you'd expect."

#34 Slow250

Slow250

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

I've been having a good time with 90 degree transitions lately.  I slightly modified it to simulate a longer shot on one side, using a 1/3 scale metric on one side and a 1/6 classic on the other, with a distance of 3ish yards...  It open my eyes to some flaws in my draw and transitions.  I started with an easy par of 2.2 and worked it down all the way to 1.5, where I pretty much topped out.  I found myself overaiming on the easy target and then transitioning slower on the smaller classic.  Each time I dropped the par time I shot the array from both directions, so I drew to an easy shot or a harder one.  It was initially easier to draw on the 1/6 and make a snappy transition to the easier 1/3 scale metric.

As the par got tighter and tighter I found I had to just let it happen on the closer target if I was going to make the time.  I found it was much easier to call two As on the 1/3 target than I was allowing.  On the other hand, my eyes were transitioning very well to the bigger target when I drew to the more difficult target, but the draw forced me to let it settle a bit.  Once I got more aggressive on the easier draw target, I had to work on getting my eyes to lock on the A zone of the 1/6 target fast if I wanted to have any hope of making the par time.  Once this was sorted out, and the par time was as fast as I could call shots without being overwhelmed (1.5s), I ended up being better when starting on the near target and transitioning to the 1/6 scale "hard target." 

Dry-fire is so much more fun when you feel productive.

#35 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Dry fire is the most boring thing on the planet without feeling productive.

#36 IronArcher

IronArcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

El Pres (save for the turn... no room).
Draw, reloads, and transitions all in one little drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users