#81 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

The arguments about fault lines was hotly contested in IPSC/USPSA in the old days too.  When IDPA is criticized for claiming to be defensive oriented and having some training value in the real world, well that is exactly how IPSC/USPSA was promoted back in the day. That issue is a large part of the split between IPSC and USPSA, as crazy as it sounds the International crowd those mostly prohibited from even taking a pistol home with them, wanted to keep the "realism" in the sport while the majority of shooters in the US started seeing it as more of a competition. A lot of the dumb rules we've put up with have been the result of making compromises between the "realists" and the "gamers". 

I've always felt like if you keep score everything becomes a game, games have competitors and competitors will do everything allowed to get the best score, "real gunfightin" tactics be damned. So trying to make a public competition out of tactical training doesn't really work. On the other hand there are many valuable skills and techniques best learned in competition which is why the best face shooters also dip their toes in the competition world. IMO USPSA is best when maintaining a safe, FAIR, competitive environment while allowing for the development of equipment. Just admit we are mainly a sport but one that develops the best techniques and equipment for high speed gun handling.

• FreeBird, Stubb and GuanoLoco like this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#82 DD78

DD78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I think the only benefit of IDPA is getting the retards out to practice something other than slow fire group shooting.  

A lot of these dudes are the type who carry and because they can shoot a small group at 10 yards slow as fuck they consider themselves "operators".  These are the type of guys who will be in a store, see some dude robbing the place, and then decide that they want to be the hero and wind up shooting other people because they've never done an actual double tap.  At least with them getting into IDPA, it makes all of us a little bit safer hopefully.  

A gun isn't a voodoo talisman against bad juju and just carrying it protects you.  You actually have to learn and practice how to shoot the fucking thing.  

#83 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

I've never intentionally done a double tap either  B)

#84 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

Anything that brings more people to the action shooting sports and that diminishes fudd-think is good.

Yes, many will stall out in IDPA but some will begin shooting USPSA or IPSC and move one step further towards enlightenment and self-actualization.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users