103 replies to this topic

#81 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

Every time the rule book changes there is some butthurt club or MD who doesn't want to play anymore. Hell we even had one around here quit over the flat footed reload. I'm sure the people who shot at the club really enjoyed having to drive farther to shoot.

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

#82 SoundsLikeBadger

SoundsLikeBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Shot 2 IDPA matches last weekend under the new rules. Enjoyed the hell out of myself, and actually felt like I was competiting and not just going through the motions like I've felt in the past. 

I'll shoot some more IDPA this year. 

• Ben likes this

#83 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I shot a single match this winter with the new rules and it was a definite improvement over the old joke rulebook. I'm sure as hell not supporting that "sport" with any membership dues, but I'll probably hit a match once or twice during the season if it's local and there's nothing better going on.

#84 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

I just built a local club's idpa stages today for their match tomorrow. based on today's stages i'm happy with the implementation of fault lines. but then i'm the one who put these down on the ground.

It's how the fault lines will be placed by the so called idpa purists that is my concern.

#85 SoundsLikeBadger

SoundsLikeBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

I just built a local club's idpa stages today for their match tomorrow. based on today's stages i'm happy with the implementation of fault lines. but then i'm the one who put these down on the ground.

It's how the fault lines will be placed by the so called idpa purists that is my concern.

In the match I shot last weekend, there was one stage where they screwed up the fault line placement, and then asked us to pie a corner the way we used to do. My inner gamer didn't like it, but in the implementation of the stage it didn't matter anyways. 

I think one thing that's going to be hard for a lot of the old IDPA shooters is having people actually reference the rules, instead of just going by whatever the RO says you should do.

• redrider likes this

#86 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

You're still always required to pie the corner though, right? Even with the fault lines you must still shoot outside targets first and traverse inward.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#87 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Right, but by design the fault line placement means every single shot isn't a derpy leaning shot.

#88 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

,...Unless Timmay places the fault line in line with the most outward target's "proper" cover line, and not the most inward target's. Then everybody is trying not to tip the hell over on inner ones.

Got it.

#89 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

That's up to the stage designer. Shitty stage is a shitty stage.

#90 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

That's up to the stage designer. Shitty stage is a shitty stage.

Hence "unless Timmay places the lines..."

IDPA has some good stage designers. Aaaaaaand some clowns trying to design the most tactically optimized version of what a real-life face shooting will undoubtedly consist of. Lord knows that I see tons of YouTube videos of cops engaging three bad guys from around 24" wide plywood cover, firing weak-hand-only, while holding an ammo can in the strong hand.

;)

#91 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

They could use Panda King and Sbarro shelves for cover, it would be more realistic for a food court showdown.

#92 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Everyone shoots the same stage, shitty or not. The scores should not be skewed because of a tac-tard.

#93 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Pre the flat footed reload rule debacle of 2013 we all argued about if the reload was done while behind cover.

To take that judgement call away, they gave us the flat footed reload. People went crazy and it was dropped in a year.

We've been bitching about getting cover calls and being judged by some old geezer staring at an invisible line, and I think rightly so.

So to make that judgement call go away we got fault lines. And people/idpa "purists" are going crazy and threatening to drop affiliation.

A little revisionist history, but when ipsc gets started and then morphs into uspsa which has people who defect and form idpa you get an odd mix of gamer and timmy that just can't be reconciled. IDPA is trying to be two things at once, a shooting sport and something rooted in wishful real life ccw applications.

And doing poorly at it, in spite of their propaganda. You still draw and reload from concealment. You still shoot from some semblance of cover. You still shoot in tactical priority. You still have non-threats. You still have ccw-esque equipment rules. You still have to listen to a normally asinine scenario. The fact that stepping on a fault line makes people think the rest of this is now somehow not IDPA baffles me.

It's too bad that IDPA is the development league for USPSA for most folks, rather than something unique and decent on its own. But fat chance of that happening.

#94 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Yep. Removing scenarios would be lovely for their next change, no one there to shoot cares.

#95 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Now all the pies are cream pies.  :rolleyes:

• Buck Turgidson likes this

#96 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

You are standing in your kitchen when a badly equipped death squad corners you and you must shoot your way out engaging each and every possible opponent in the prescribed manner.

Self defense tactics at their finest.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#97 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

You are standing in your kitchen when a badly equipped death squad corners you and you must shoot your way out engaging each and every possible opponent in the prescribed manner.

Self defense tactics at their finest.

I think I'm going to use your description in the next stage I build.....
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#98 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

my scenarios are almost always simply "kill all the bad guys" or "shoot all the targets".

#99 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

The second option could be a bit hard on, uh, what are they called in IDPA talk, non threats?
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#100 slowandfat

slowandfat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

I've only set up stages for practices but my goal for any stages I plan is multiple ways it can be shot.  It can sometimes be difficult to do it so it's not blatantly obvious which is the best way to shot it but it frustrates some people to no end.  It's fun watching the gamers come up with different plans.  The flip side of setting up stages like that is the sheer volume of people asking you 'so after I shoot these guys, what do I do next?'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users