#1 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

After not shooting a match in over two years I finally competed in a local classifier. First time shooting with the G35 in limited. I didn't have much expectations for myself, just wanted to get back out there and have fun.

A couple of take aways from this match;
1. Production is dumb. 10 round limit is dumb. I'm running factory Glock mags and the 15+1 is nice, however I realized +2 extensions would be nicer. Would have eliminated the need for at least one reload on a field course stage. I would like to hear some recommendations from more experienced Doodiers on what mag extensions are good.
2. My grip needs work. Having a friend video-ing my crap performance is a big help. Watching the muzzle end of my gun flop around in the air is embarrassing and makes me wonder how many other people noticed. It also doesn't help with follow up shots.

It was nice getting back out there and competing again. The classifier match was nice, as I won't have to wait as long to see how much I suck. I'm a C in production so I'm hoping for the same in limited. Year end goal to be a solid B.
  • nwhpfan likes this
Taking a doodie while on doodieđź’©

#2 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Jesus christ. Your "take away" was that production is dumb? Thank god for those extra 5 rounds in the mag right? I hope some of the "experienced doodiers" can help point you in the right direction to buy your way to "solid B" class. If only you didn't have to do that extra reload on the field course.

Spend a few minutes practicing your grip or a reload on the move instead of posting this crap.

If this was a troll you got me

#3 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Jesus christ. 

That was mean.  

My kind and helpful advice is to seriously consider practicing instead of buying stuff.

• eahill85 likes this

#4 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Jesus christ. Your "take away" was that production is dumb? Thank god for those extra 5 rounds in the mag right? I hope some of the "experienced doodiers" can help point you in the right direction to buy your way to "solid B" class. If only you didn't have to do that extra reload on the field course.
Spend a few minutes practicing your grip or a reload on the move instead of posting this crap.
If this was a troll you got me

I realize this is Doodie, but that doesn't mean you're required to be an insecure dick. I know I need to work on my grip but I hadn't thought about practicing reloads on the move. Thanks for the advice.

#5 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

I would suggest starting by studying my signature carefully ... then taking it to heart.

After that:

Dryfire-Book-Kit-2__97022.1433786770.128

http://benstoegerpro...scaled-targets/

• nwhpfan and eahill85 like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#6 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Post the video.

#7 yomamma

yomamma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like IDPA is better suited for you....

#8 chrisstophere

chrisstophere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

Everyone is correct about the dryfire practice. No matter what division you play in, the more practice, live or dry, will improve you. You will become more confident and versed handling your firearm and that will spill over into stages.

As for limited vs. production, I heard once that if new shooter was interested in production, then to start of in limited. Limited allows you to focus on sight tracking and trigger control without worrying that much about strategic reloads and gives you tools like magwells to help with developing your reload speeds and a gas peddle to help with a consistent grip.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• eahill85 likes this

#9 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

I would suggest starting by studying my signature carefully ... then taking it to heart.

After that:

Dryfire-Book-Kit-2__97022.1433786770.128
http://benstoegerpro...scaled-targets/

I like this. I'm sure my wife will appreciate me setting up a pretend stage in the house.

#10 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Everyone is correct about the dryfire practice. No matter what division you play in, the more practice, live or dry, will improve you. You will become more confident and versed handling your firearm and that will spill over into stages. As for limited vs. production, I heard once that if new shooter was interested in production, then to start of in limited. Limited allows you to focus on sight tracking and trigger control without worrying that much about strategic reloads and gives you tools like magwells to help with developing your reload speeds and a gas peddle to help with a consistent grip. Just my 2 cents. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I started in production, but due to kids and an unpredictable work schedule I wasn't able to shoot as much as I wanted. I no longer have my 34 so I figured I would take advantage of the major PF of the 35 and I like it better than production I think. My plan tonight is a half hour of dry fire at least.

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Start in the Living Room.  Compromise by relocating to the room you want to regularly use for dry fire practice.

• eahill85 and Fishyjoe like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#12 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Anywhere with enough room to move around a little. Basement, living room, garage, whatever. You only need to have somewhere where you can stick a few targets up on a wall, almost everywhere works.

#13 chrisstophere

chrisstophere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Don't forget you can create distance by making the targets smaller. And don't underestimate post-it notes.
  • eahill85 likes this

#14 Stelio Kontos

Stelio Kontos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMERICA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Work on target transitions drills.
<p>Top C Class Shooter on Doodie

#15 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

Work on target transitions drills.

Change your signature.  You're moving up in the world.

#16 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

Just finished a half hour of dry fire practice.  Kids in bed and wife watching TV, I figured I better jump at the opportunity.  I don't have my ticket to B class BSPS dry fire kit yet so I improvised with a picture of a target on my phone and set it up across the room.  My goal for tonight was focusing on the fundamentals.  Solid grip (especially focusing on use of my support hand), straight draw, and pressing the gun on target. 

Something I noticed during my practice was that I was continually having to find the front sight after pressing out.  I wasn't having a problem with the draw itself, just acquiring a decent sight picture in a relatively timely fashion.  My focus became get the gun out fast to index, then slow down and control the press out, acquiring my sight picture while I extended to target.  This definitely seems like a more efficient process for me and I'm sure the more I practice it, the faster I will become. 

Next was tying in the trigger press.  I focused on fast draw, controlled press to target, and two controlled trigger presses.  Thanks to Stelio for the tip on taking the gun out of battery with a piece of cardboard.  A strange observation, I noticed my front sight post dip every time I press the trigger.  I normally don't have a problem with that, as when I live shoot I actually have pretty good trigger control.  My shots are rarely low.  Maybe my sight picture just sucks and I shoot too high, but my crappy trigger discipline brings it back down. 

Two things for me to focus on next dry fire session:

1. Acquiring a good sight picture while pressing the gun to target.

2. Keeping my front sight post from dipping while pressing the trigger.

Practice makes more gooder.

#17 Stelio Kontos

Stelio Kontos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMERICA

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

You are not able to automatically get a good sight picture on the draw because you haven't built in the muscle memory. You just need to dry fire more. Instead of doing press put, just quickly go from gun in holster to gun on target in the most efficient way possible, which is not a press out draw.

You are pressing the trigger faster in dry fire than in live fire, which is why you noticed the front sight dip. A good drill for trigger control at speed is to begin pressing the trigger at the start of the beep, and have the trigger pressed all the way to the rear before the beep finishes.

I didn't come up with the cardboard or zip tie thing. All my good ideas I got from Ben Stoegers books, so buy them already!
<p>Top C Class Shooter on Doodie

#18 Kixx

Kixx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Something I noticed during my practice was that I was continually having to find the front sight after pressing out.  I wasn't having a problem with the draw itself, just acquiring a decent sight picture in a relatively timely fashion.  My focus became get the gun out fast to index, then slow down and control the press out, acquiring my sight picture while I extended to target.  This definitely seems like a more efficient process for me and I'm sure the more I practice it, the faster I will become.

Watch Ron Avery's video on this: 

A good drill for trigger control at speed is to begin pressing the trigger at the start of the beep, and have the trigger pressed all the way to the rear before the beep finishes.

This.  Don't use a target, use a blank wall.  This is straight out of Ben's dryfire book(which you should have ordered already).  Start with a perfect sight picture and your finger just barely touching the trigger.  On the beginning of the start beep, press the trigger as fast as you can.  You want to complete the press before the end of the beep.  The goal of this is to keep your sights stable while you smash the trigger back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users