6 replies to this topic

#1 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

After years of participating in USPSA matches I’ve finally decided to get off my ass and work at improving my shooting skills begin the long march to A class.

I am working through the dry fire drills in lord high master Ben’s book. Having a timer and a specific series of drills to work on seems to be making a difference.

As a recovering geardo, I try to refrain from buying new stuff – powder and other loading components are higher priority.

But, my dry fire made me realize that my holster was slowing me down. It was a custom made holster set up for a Glock with a SJC frame weight. I got a new one from Redeye Tactical and wow what a difference. It made a measurable difference in my draw times.

The dry fire also identified problems with my mag pouches. Replacements are on the way.

Stay tuned for updates.

Every long march begins with a single dry fire drill.

Attached Files

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#2 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

Never let your equipment beat you.

#3 Katsmama

Katsmama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIn the kitchen makin' a sammich

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Your wife on the other hand might wonder what IS he doing in the garage every night. I imagine your explanation that you are working on your quick draw technique could be misconstrued. 

• Will likes this

#4 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Here's a little rule of thumb - after 3 years of doing something, you are as good as you will ever be at it. That's because if you had the desire and brains to get good, it would have hit you sometime in year 1-3.

So give it up, resign yourself to C class suckage, and spend your DF time on something productive
  • slemmo likes this

#5 Stelio Kontos

Stelio Kontos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMERICA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Here's a little rule of thumb - after 3 years of doing something, you are as good as you will ever be at it.

Now we know you like a thumb up your ass, because you pulled that one right out of it.
<p>Top C Class Shooter on Doodie

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

He put in his thumb, 
And pulled out a plum, 
And said, "What a good boy am I!"

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#7 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

The march continues. Finally a day at the range. I was able to work on some dry-fire drills converted to live fire. What’s a good adjustments for times?

In Ben’s Dry Fire Drills book, he says .7 second is the goal for draw and get a sight picture at a simulated 10 yards. What is a good time for draw and one shot at 10 yards?

When I was blessed with a moment of brilliance I could hit 1.14 seconds, but most shots were 1.25 to 1.35 seconds. About 12 out of 15 As.

I need to work on consistency. I noticed that my grip with my weak hand was inconsistent.

For my second drill I started with the piston aimed at the target at 10 yards. At the buzzer I reloaded and shot one at the target. The goal in the book without shooting is one second. Dry fire, I usually can reload in less 1.4 on par time. Part of my adjustment is adapting to bullets out in Ghost mag. pouches.

At the range I could reload and shoot an A in two seconds. I've been told by someone I highly respect that I need to stop aiming so much if I want to improve.  Over 30 shots with this drill, I shot all Alphas. I’m aiming too much.

As I've increased my dry fire I notice I more aware of what is happening including grip, trigger control, sight alignment, and so on. 

Much more dry fire ahead.

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glock, SJC, A class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users