#41 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

The biggest effect I see is being in the AMU gets you gooder. Wish I got into shooting earlier and could have done that. The finishing school for how to act like a good person would have been something useful. That and the bajillion rounds of ammo, good coaching, and the free matches and travel. Oh, and the networking! 

That's pretty much the only shooting school I wish I could have gone to.

When it comes to the international/Olympic shooting sports, the AMU is THE ticket for Americans who want to win.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#42 Not Will

Not Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

I wonder what an 18 year old USPSA shooter needs to bring to the table to get an AMU letter.  Are they looking for trainable A-class shooters or dudes who made GM at 12?

#43 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Generally if you're good enough and young enough for AMU, they're already trying to recruit you.

When they first started the IPSC AMU, IIRC it was "M or better and under 30" to ante, but I think standards have tightened since then.

A while back one of them said they leaned towards the hoser types as it was easier to teach them to be accurate than it was to teach turtles to be fast.
  • Not Will likes this

"That could never happen" is a valid objection to any practical course of fire -- IPSC rules, June 1978.

#44 PupTown

PupTown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Sevigny was taught and/or mentored by Scott Warren.

-------------------------

I took a class from Scott Warren.  Needless to say, I haven't won anything.

---------------

Ben may not have taken a formal class, but he certainly studied the game, whether through books, youtube videos or BENOS posts.  There's no Grandma Moses outsider artists shooters, toiling away in obscurity in the backwoods, unaware of who Leatham and Grauffel are, and wandering in and making GM.

#45 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

In the old-old days it was simple. If you wanted to be the goodest, you went to Phoenix because that's where Leatham and Enos and all the guys that wanted to be the next Leatham and Enos were.

Early-mid 90s the roadshow IPSC classes started becoming a thing when the sponsored team gravy trains dried up and dudes like Todd figured out they could pull a G a weekend from middle-age wanna-bee's.

"That could never happen" is a valid objection to any practical course of fire -- IPSC rules, June 1978.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users