42 replies to this topic

#21 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

You could slip and fall and need to clean the wound, jam your hand on a nail when your setting up a stage.

Do you even Steel Challenge, bro? We don't need nails to set up our stages.
  • racetaco and diegomi like this
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#22 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

#23 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Bammmmmmmm!!!!!!!

#24 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

No Steele challenge for me.
  • ZackJones likes this

#25 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

With that kind of round count you'll need two 12 packs, 1 hard shell and 1 soft.

Because nutrition.

#26 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

Old dude / former martial artist pharmacy tips: Ibuprofen (I like 3 x 200mg) 3-4 times/day, not aspirin. Take it before you hurt and then you will be able to hold up a lot longer. If you wait until you hurt then your focus and performance will be degraded before it kicks in.

Lots of ammo. You paid good $ for the class, don't waste it. Don't burn ammo for little return, but it sucks to be stressed or throttling back reps because you are worried you will run out of ammo.

That stretchy self-adhesive gauze is great for protecting tender hands unused to such activity. Expect blisters and cuts that impede your performance.

Lots of options for quickly adapting to any/all forms of weather.

Plenty of liquids/food/snacks. Keep hydrated and nourished with many small meals, don't get dehydrated and keep an even keel on blood sugar. Get some rest before and in the evenings, don't blow it out.

Learning focus and attitude. Bring up the instructor and fellow students.

Wakizashi for ritualistically disemboweling yourself after realizing that your training class has been infiltrated by the Fraternal Brotherhood of Cletii or that you are a member of the Brotherhood and the other students and instructors are giving you 'the look'.

Practice before hand - come in with your 'A' game. Or 'D' game. See comment above.

Don't be 'that guy'.

Added: Bring a mag loader, Lula or whatever. Reloading mags gets old.
  • SlivGod likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#27 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

I've take a couple of classes with a GM.

You burn a lot of ammo.

You get a lot of blisters on your hand from shooting and loading mags.

You get all enthused about what you are going to work on after the fact and what bad habits you are going to address.

And then you get home and do nothing.

Because hobby not job.

But there are one or two items that 'stick' and those incrementally make you a better shooter.

I shoot for fun. For the rush that comes after the 'BEEP', for the challenge of stage planning, and for the realization of how much you suck, but how gooder you are getting.

So what I have learned is that if I am going to sponsor a starving GM for the day, go have fun, follow the GM's lead, listen and shoot. Realize that you have no clue what two items will 'stick' after the fact and that no matter how enthused you are after the class, you do not have the motivation and or dedication to follow through because it simply does not matter in the grand scheme of things. It is a hobby and a pastime and if you were to master it, then what the fuck would you do with your time.
  • Cheap Shot likes this

#28 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the great information guys.

Hoping to make some major improvements over the summer. You advice will help me with that.

#29 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

Looking forward to hearing how the class goes for you. Tell us all of his secrets to save us the $$ for the class.
  • ToddKS likes this

#30 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Looking forward to hearing how the class goes for you. Tell us all of his secrets to save us the $$ for the class.

I thought you quit shooting  real guns and and just compete in squirrel rifle division now?

• GuanoLoco likes this

#31 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Also, unless 1500 rounds is a significant fraction of all the rounds you've ever shot, expect to suck for a while after the class because you will be so busy thinking about what you should be doing that you won't be doing it.  Everybody will point and laugh until you get it internalized and start to slay balls.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#32 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

I thought you quit shooting real guns and and just compete in squirrel rifle division now?

I shoot PCC but I guess that doesn't count as a real gun either.

#33 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

I shoot PCC but I guess that doesn't count as a real gun either.

I guess that would be good for Armadillos.  I was all hot to buy an MPX last week but I calmed down.

#34 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Also, unless 1500 rounds is a significant fraction of all the rounds you've ever shot, expect to suck for a while after the class because you will be so busy thinking about what you should be doing that you won't be doing it.  Everybody will point and laugh until you get it internalized and start to slay balls.

Or if you can swing it, do private classes....

#35 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

RTB won't embarrass him self with the shooting, it will be the social interaction.

#36 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

I guess that would be good for Armadillos. I was all hot to buy an MPX last week but I calmed down.

I was too for a while. The urge may return. The magazine cost was a turn off. I was thinking about buying a pistol and doing a Form 1 to SBR.

#37 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

I was too for a while. The urge may return. The magazine cost was a turn off. I was thinking about buying a pistol and doing a Form 1 to SBR.

I was thinking of going the other way and getting a 16" carbine with the thought in mind of later converting to a suppressed SBR.

#38 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

I've take a couple of classes with a GM.

You burn a lot of ammo.

You get a lot of blisters on your hand from shooting and loading mags.

You get all enthused about what you are going to work on after the fact and what bad habits you are going to address.

And then you get home and do nothing.

Because hobby not job.

But there are one or two items that 'stick' and those incrementally make you a better shooter.

I shoot for fun. For the rush that comes after the 'BEEP', for the challenge of stage planning, and for the realization of how much you suck, but how gooder you are getting.

So what I have learned is that if I am going to sponsor a starving GM for the day, go have fun, follow the GM's lead, listen and shoot. Realize that you have no clue what two items will 'stick' after the fact and that no matter how enthused you are after the class, you do not have the motivation and or dedication to follow through because it simply does not matter in the grand scheme of things. It is a hobby and a pastime and if you were to master it, then what the fuck would you do with your time.

Possibly one of the greatest posts ever on doodie

• Matt1 likes this

#39 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

Yeah I think I'm at the jnkranch level of motivation too. I like shooting. But hobby.

#40 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Then don't pay $500 for a class you're not going to use.
  • GuruOfGuns likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users