#1 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

The Past:
Shot IDPA for about 2 years back in 2012 and stopped shooting to finish college. Started real competitive shooting last March at a local USPSA club. First classification was D. 8 months, 13 club matches and no practice later I made C class.

The Present:
Trying to get gooder. Dry fire practicing from MFCEO's book 30mins/day M-F. 3 matches/month. 2 live fire practice/month. Dry fire 30 mins on the weekend days I don't make it to the range. I've been on this routine since the beginning of the year and I have been seeing good results. I was shooting mid 30% match scores last year and am now seeing low 50's and a recent 74.9.

The Future:
Preparing for my first two major matches: Area 1 at end of March and Norcal Sectional in beginning of June. Trying to make it to the top of C class in time for Area 1. Want to make A class by the end of the year.

The Gear:
Shooting a CZ 75 SP-01
CGW Upgrades: Short Reset 11.5# hammer spring, 11 lb recoil spring, production hammer spring, etc.
VZGrips Tactical Diamond
Dawson red fiber front, fixed black rear
DAA belt, ghost pouches, bladetch holster

The Weaknesses:
Accuracy: 1st shot on paper is A, 2nd shot on paper is C. I'm doing this about 1 in every 4 targets and not sure how to fix it.
Transitions feel slow. Movement feels slow.
Plate rack, can't seem to clear it fast without missing at least once.
Limited amounts of live fire. I shoot ~300rnds/session. ~1200rnds/mo. with matches. I'd like to increase that. Not sure if I should be doing more rnds/session or more sessions with less rounds.

#2 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

Weaknesses. Hitting first shot and missing second shot

don't worry about hitting the .20 split. Aim and shoot the second shot.

If you want to make A class, you have to be able to hit two A's

What I did was put the targets far away(25+). Can't rush that. Shoot at distance for a few practices and then keep the same discipline up close. If you get sloppy, move back of long shots

Be patient.

Good luck

#3 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

Weaknesses. Trans and plate rack.

Don't worry about the time.

The dot drill can apply to anything. Clean the rack 6 times in a row, no time

Then come up with a decent par time for you. Do that 6x

Repeat

#4 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

The Weaknesses:

Accuracy: 1st shot on paper is A, 2nd shot on paper is C.  I'm doing this about 1 in every 4 targets and not sure how to fix it.

Transitions feel slow.  Movement feels slow.

Plate rack, can't seem to clear it fast without missing at least once.

Limited amounts of live fire.  I shoot ~300rnds/session.  ~1200rnds/mo. with matches.  I'd like to increase that.  Not sure if I should be doing more rnds/session or more sessions with less rounds.

Where in C are you hitting?  Left, right up down? Focus on smooth transitions. Slow it down.  I agree with RTB, don't worry about time.  With all the ammo you're burning through it's possible you're getting yourself stuck in some bad training habits without realizing it.

Taking a doodie while on doodieūüí©

#5 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

Accuracy: 1st shot on paper is A, 2nd shot on paper is C.  I'm doing this about 1 in every 4 targets and not sure how to fix it.

Nobody shoots %100. But here you are getting %95 of the points. Generally you want to get above %90. So on 4 targets, 40 points, 8 shots scoring 7 A 1 C is really good...assuming you did it very fast. I think the question is how far are these targets and how fast did you shoot them.

I would suggest lining up 4 targets shoulder to shoulder from 7 yards and hitting them as fast and accurate as you can. Do the Hit Factor Math. Shoot with accuracy in mind, shoot for blazing hoser speed, shoot like it was a match....do the match each time and it will help you better identify why you get the score you get and which parts of your game need improvement. Then set out to to tackle those portions that need work. Draw, grip, trigger control, tension, aim, etc.

Do the same thing with a single target at 15 yards or whatever is just outside your hoser zone. Shoot it once do the math. Repeat multiple times doing the math. Evaluate your performacne, recall each and every shot - what were the sights doing, how did you hit the trigger, what action caused what result; identify what works, what doesn't, and ADJUST.

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#6 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

The Gear:

Shooting a CZ 75 S-01

CGW Upgrades: Short Reset 11.5# hammer spring, 11 lb recoil spring, production hammer spring, etc.

VZGrips Tactical Diamond

Dawson red fiber front, fixed black rear

DAA belt, ghost pouches, bladetch holster

‚ÄčThis stuff belongs in your sig line

• SlivGod and GuanoLoco like this

#7 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

‚ÄčThis stuff belongs in your sig line

Thats a lot of shit for a sig line. Wheres your sig line?

#8 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Where in C are you hitting?

Low left.

#9 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Thats a lot of shit for a sig line. Wheres your sig line?

His signature line is he built the forum your posting on.

#10 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

His signature line is he built the forum your posting on.

More accurately he hasn't earned a sig line like that just yet. You need to crush four beer cans at ceremonies first.
  • donkey_punch and peterthefish like this

#11 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Low left.

Check your sights - they're probably off. You're probably high right with your first shot.
  • Larry Costa, GuanoLoco and ralloway like this

#12 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

Check your sights - they're probably off. You're probably high right with your first shot.

I'm pretty sure they are good, but I will double check next time at the range.

#13 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

Core Skills Dry Fire Day.  Practiced Slow Fire Trigger Control, Trigger Control at Speed(1.2), Bill Drill(2.2), Plate Rack(4.0).

For Bill, sometimes I let off the trigger too much and have to pull DA in subsequent shots.  Any advice on not letting off the trigger too much to reset?

Plate rack, what is the distance between plates on a typical rack?  It was taking me too long and I realized they were too far apart.

#14 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

I would work intensely on shot-calling. if you hit a C and it's close to the A-line, no big deal. If you hit a wide C and you didn't see that the sights were wide on the 2nd shot, that will hold you back.  Once you start calling your shots and seeing what the sights are doing as the gun fires, you will know how to fix any problem.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#15 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

For Bill, sometimes I let off the trigger too much and have to pull DA in subsequent shots.  Any advice on not letting off the trigger too much to reset?

sounds like your gun is broken. no matter how far you let off the trigger, it should stay in single action.

#16 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

sounds like your gun is broken. no matter how far you let off the trigger, it should stay in single action.

He's in dry fire, letting the trigger out all the way resets the gun to DA.

• Motosapiens likes this

#17 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

He's in dry fire, letting the trigger out all the way resets the gun to DA.

oh. never mind.
I would try not letting the trigger out so much. you may have to slow down a smidge at first.

#18 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

just duck tape the hammer to the beaver tail. That'll keep it in the cocked position.

#19 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

Where in C are you hitting?  Left, right up down? ....

Low left.

That's really odd, I'd have never guessed.
  • peterthefish likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#20 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

That's really odd, I'd have never guessed.

I know. Most people get dead nuts on with their second shot because the front sight is falling back into place. That's why I think he's probably hitting high right for his first shot.

OP - you can't assume just because you're hitting center rested that your gun is zeroed. We don't shoot USPSA slow fire from a rest. If you're hitting low left when you shoot at speed you need to have your sights set so that shot is dead center, even if that means you're high right shooting in square range conditions.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users