49 replies to this topic

#21 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

I definitely have found my 'speed zero' different from my 'slow fire' or 'rested' zero. You need to set the gun up for the type of matches we shoot. I think peterthefish is probably right with first shot hitting high and then second shot dropping into the a.
  • peterthefish likes this

#22 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Dry fire works!  Definitely getting gooder, shot ~55% classifier yesterday.  Only 1M, 1NS, 1D, 6C for the match.  First time shooting a plate rack through a bianchi barricade and it absolutely destroyed me.  I burned 2 1/2 mags on it and was told I was shooting low.  The barricade was setup so the support box was towards the shooter and forced them to either have to be in an awkward shooting position with gun in port or have to shoot further back.  I chose to shoot further back but saw a mix of shooters doing both.  I plan to set it up next weekend and practice till I can get it right without missing.  I'm open ears for advice on this shooting position.

#23 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Short dry fire session for the day (need to do the reloading chore).  10 mins split between slow trigger control, trigger control at speed and transition drill.  Getting 1.4 on trigger control at speed consistently, 1.3 occasional.  Giving 1.2 a shot but not quite there yet.  Transition drill 3.2. . . . . . . 1.6 is the goal per Ben's book, how in the heck do you get to that speed???????????

#24 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

[[ Short practice, sleep on it] repeat many times. Break] Repeat many times]
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#25 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

First time doing Hopkins drill.  Damn that thing is tough.  Need to work on my transition speed.

#26 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

One handed shooting. Strong 3.6 par, Weak 5.0 par. Distance Changeup 3.5 par. Plus Hopkins. Weakhand shooting is weak. Slow transfer to weak hand + slow DA shot. Any micro drills to improve those two?  Also how much time should I even spend on weak hand shooting?  Rarely see weakhand shots in matches.

#27 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:48 PM

4.5 weeks till Area 1.  Time to go hardcore!!!  Will try to do 1 hr per day.  Did 10 drills, 6 minutes ea. today.  Picked 2 random from each section.  Is this too many drills?  1 drill per section, 12 minutes ea. better?

I did gun pickup and tried focus on target and pickup by feel/memory as well as focus on gun during pickup and transition focus to target after grip.  Didn't notice a considerable advantage for either drill but feel/memory felt better since it's similar to a normal draw.  Not sure if this is a good idea at a match.  Any advice on this?

#28 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:43 AM

I can only speak to my experience. For me I need to be looking at the gun to get a fast/clean pickup. Especially when it's pickup and rack the gun or pickup, insert mag and rack. I can quickly snap my eyes to the first target while the gun is coming up.

Trying to grab the gun 'blind' by memory or feel seems like a fast way towards a potential dq as the gun goes flying off the table. On a stage you only get one go at grabbing it on the clock. It might work sometimes butt missing the grab will be costly in time and too high risk for my taste when it can easily get knocked forward.

The difference with drawing is that the gun is in the same place and it's attached to your body. You can easily 'find' it and get a solid grip. Also it's retained so that if you miss the grip it doesn't go flying (well usually).

I think looking at the gun will let you be more aggressive in your pickup.
  • ralloway and seabass like this

#29 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Always look at what you're doing, the eyes drive almost everything we do. If you need to pick up a gun, focus on the gun.

#30 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Yeah that explanation works even better. We don't try and hammer in a nail while looking at the sannich we are going to eat later...

#31 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

For wrist above shoulders I usually put my hand in fists and knuckles against the bill of my hat.  I was experimenting today with different configurations of wrists above shoulders and it felt a bit faster to just have wrists barely above shoulders.  Makes sense since arms travel less.  Also tried elbows out wrists above shoulders.  Do these different configurations make a difference in speed or am I just full of shit?  If so how much?  2 tenths?  Half?  Should I just stop fucking around and do what ever is comfortable?

#32 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

Not sure how good my surrender draw is compared to others, but I find it more consistent and a little faster (for me) to minimize the movement from surrender to strong hand on gun + support hand at belt keeper.

Put strong hand on gun and support hand where you like it as if you were about to draw. Then rotate both arms at one joint, if you can, up to the required elevation. When the timer goes off, reverse the rotation in that one joint and you should be right where you need to be.

I only rotate at my shoulder, FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#33 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

I only rotate at my shoulder, FWIW.

Only rotate shoulder from strong on draw/support at keeper.  This looks fucking weird.  I feel like I'm playing monster with a kid.  Rarrr

#34 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Seeking some motivation advice.  I had a really good dry fire routine prepping for A1, after A1 I haven't practiced dry or live once.  I have gone to two club matches so I'm still have some trigger time, but I know that is not going to help me get gooder.  What motivates you?  What gets you pumped to keep the grind and get gooder?

#35 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Not wanting to be embarrassed at matches, and dropping baller drill times in practice, myself. Improvement is an addiction.
  • TCB likes this

#36 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Seeking some motivation advice. I had a really good dry fire routine prepping for A1, after A1 I haven't practiced dry or live once. I have gone to two club matches so I'm still have some trigger time, but I know that is not going to help me get gooder. What motivates you? What gets you pumped to keep the grind and get gooder?

1). Seeing progress
2). Doing something that few people can (I'm not there yet, but I will be)
3). Figuring out how to improve

#37 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

Trying to be as good or better than guys that beat you.
Not letting the guys you have eclipsed surpass you.
Most importantly,,,BUY MORE GEAR!!!!!!!!

#38 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Dry fire once, the first time gets you restarted.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#39 seabass

seabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Finally got a dry fire session in. Damn I feel like it's been a long time. 2 wks since I last picked up my gun. I thought I was going to be really slow and forget the skills but I was surprisingly able to pickup right were I left off. For those of you who take off seasons and don't touch your gun for an extended period of time. Do you notice a loss of speed/skill after taking some time off? Can you just hop back in and still be just as good as you were before? Is there a specific amount of time after which your skills/speed will begin to drop? 2 weeks, 1 mo., 2 mos???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#40 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

I only fired something like 50 or 100 shots over a 6 month period due to a move; my primary practice was dry fire. In that period of time my overall performance did improve as I went from d class performance to b class performance, but sight tracking in live fire slid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users