racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Why 9mm?

It's not that I want 9mm, it's just not a problem that it is. Already loading 75% of my ammo in that caliber ,the rest being 38spl & 45.The benefit with the 986 for me is the titanium cylinder and being a L frame. The smaller the frame/grip the better I shoot.

#22 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

I mean the latter, and I understand.
It still looks a little funny and detracts slightly from the overall appearance.
Still like it though - looks and convenient caliber. I just think revolvers are most interesting / useful in .44+ Beacuse otherwise a pistol will do the same job better.

I agree with you but .44+ is a bit overkill for a steel match.

#23 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

I agree with you but .44+ is a bit overkill for a steel match.

A .44 Russian with a 200 GR RNFP and a few grains of N310 is a pretty sweet steel load. Upside - you can shoot .44 mags out of the gun too if you're not a pussy.

#24 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

I want a single action 454 casull. Classic and powerful.

Posted Image

5 shot .454 Casull conversion on a Ruger Blackhawk. Built it myself, but the wife picked out the comforter on the bed.
  • slemmo and George like this

#25 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

If it wasn't for the 9mm minimum caliber requirement I'd use a J frame in 327 federal. Six shots is a massive advantage over five.

#26 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

I mean the latter, and I understand.

It still looks a little funny and detracts slightly from the overall appearance.

Still like it though - looks and convenient caliber. I just think revolvers are most interesting / useful in .44+ Beacuse otherwise a pistol will do the same job better.

DE 44 mag? A fine edc hand rifle weighing in at a svelte 4lb... at least you get 8+1 vs 5 rounds in the roundy gun. The downside being it'll likely ftf or stovepipe after the first shot.

#27 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

DE 44 mag? A fine edc hand rifle weighing in at a svelte 4lb... at least you get 8+1 vs 5 rounds in the roundy gun. The downside being it'll likely ftf or stovepipe after the first shot.

He said at less than .44 an automatic will do gooder than a revo.

#28 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

I'e shot DE in a couple of calibers. Meh, not impresed.

I like .44 Mag, maybe 44 specials for snubbies, .454 casull (less). Didn't like concussive .500.

Not much experience with 45LC.

45/70 (single shot, revolver + BFR) and .270 (single shot) pistols - novel, but not my thing.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#29 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:53 AM

460 mag is pretty fiesty. I tried that out of a 460sw xvr.

#30 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

It's not that I want 9mm, it's just not a problem that it is. Already loading 75% of my ammo in that caliber ,the rest being 38spl & 45.The benefit with the 986 for me is the titanium cylinder and being a L frame. The smaller the frame/grip the better I shoot.

I didn't realize it was an L-frame.  I'm not always up on all the revolver variants (I only have ~4).  No L-frame in 38/357, >6? 

Titanium...for a better trigger pull?  (I only have 1 titanium cylinder...just to drop the weight of my J frame.)

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#31 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

What would be awesome is an N frame with however many 32 S&W Long chambers as would fit.

#32 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

I have a 327pc N frame set up for open, and the rotating mass of that huge stainless 8 shot cylinder sucks. The trigger reach is a stretch for me also, even after upgrading grips. I've found my speed to be faster with a less heavy revolver. That's one of the reasons I run 2"-2.6" barrels. Just don't need a 6"+ sight radius for SC.

#33 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

A .44 Russian with a 200 GR RNFP and a few grains of N310 is a pretty sweet steel load. Upside - you can shoot .44 mags out of the gun too if you're not a pussy.

And in 3-gun, the spotter can follow your 300fps projectile with his eyes and call "hit!" before the round even lands on steel. That has to be an advantage in transitions.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#34 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Shot the N and J frames today. Friggn Goldie Locks, ones to big ones to small but that 986 would be just right.

#35 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

Shot the N and J frames today. Friggn Goldie Locks, ones to big ones to small but that 986 would be just right.

Find your first grade teacher and punch her in the face.
  • Twinkie, aceinyerface, GuruOfGuns and 2 others like this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#36 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

I don't really have a use for the medium frame guns. I have N frames for competition and a 44 mag for camping. I have J frames for every day carry. A 7-shot 9mm holds zero appeal to me.

#37 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Find your first grade teacher and punch her in the face.

Thanks Doc, I've been skating through life on my good looks not my writing skills

#38 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

I don't really have a use for the medium frame guns. I have N frames for competition and a 44 mag for camping. I have J frames for every day carry. A 7-shot 9mm holds zero appeal to me.

I would feel the same way if I could shoot the N frame better and was playing revo in USPSA. I only use revolvers for pocket carry and steel challenge matches. I probably would never have gotten into fudging around with them if it wasn't for having a revolver only state championship here. Plus it's a nice confidence boost to know your just as fast with a carry gun as your game gun.

#39 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

5 shot .454 Casull conversion on a Ruger Blackhawk. Built it myself, but the wife picked out the comforter on the bed.

I like them both. And btw, outside the US no one have a fucking clue what a comforter is. I once tried to purchase some cool realtree camo duvet covers from Cabelas for our double bed duvets, which turned out impossible because apparently you guys use these kind of thick rugs that cover the entire bed instead of individual down filled duvets....Makes no sense at all.

#40 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

I like them both. And btw, outside the US no one have a fucking clue what a comforter is. I once tried to purchase some cool realtree camo duvet covers from Cabelas for our double bed duvets, which turned out impossible because apparently you guys use these kind of thick rugs that cover the entire bed instead of individual down filled duvets....Makes no sense at all.

It makes more sense when you remember that folks in the US can afford more than one blanket.
  • Peally and racetaco like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users