#1 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

First off I am a SIG MPX fanboi.

There is much to like about them; piston operation stays clean, the ability to use folding or collapsing stock, solid construction, and they are more fun to shoot than I can describe. I put a red dot on mine and it will run anything I put in it. Well, as long as the length is correct. My mouse-fart production loads run very smoothly and I can hit 50 yard steel off hand with no issues and 100 and 200 are easy off a rest.

When I bought it I switched out the trigger. It is the worse monstrosity I have come a cross in a firearm. Even M16’s fresh from rebuild were better than the MPX trigger.

I’ve had two mechanical failures. The first was minor.  A roll pin in the charging handle broke. The locking lever on one side came off. I bought a replacement locally and I was back in action.

But today it was different. Running the carbine and it stopped going bang. Slap, rack and click. Dammit. Repeat. Dammit. After five round I give up. All five round show no sign of a primer strike.

When I got home I took it apart. The firing pin broke. But it’s okay because the tip lodged in the firing pin hole in the bolt.

Tomorrow I call SIG about a replacement firing pin. An internet search shows that this is not an uncommon problem in early Gen 2 carbines.

Attached File  20170305_200720_resized 2.jpg   89.12KB   73 downloadsAttached File  20170305_175055_resized.jpg   83.87KB   75 downloads

• DanielKr and el.kuglov1953 like this

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#2 Copperhead

Copperhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Cool story
Suarez Shooting Team

#3 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Definitely reduces the hootiness.

#4 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

So very dumb.

#5 beerbaron

beerbaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Turning the hoot into teh hurt. :(

Bummer.

#6 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I recall a thread full of firing pin failures in the BEnos PCC section at some point...
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#7 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

I called SIG CS today. The representative put me on hold, went and got a replacement, and got my address to drop it in the mail.

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#8 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

The sad SIG MPX story continues. I called SIG customer service and the call goes  through quickly. The representative is very helpful. I tell him my tale of woe. He puts me on hold while he goes and pulls the replacement firing pin. That’s awesome service I think.

But then…he tells me that he’ll get it in the mail and it will take a week to 10 days. What? It’s coming from New Hampshire. It should be 3-4 days through the mail. But, no he was right. A week later I leave for a trip and it still hasn’t arrived.

I get back from my trip and the replacement firing pin is waiting for me. I get settled in from my trip and I have time to work on the MPX.

Out to the garage I go, replacement part and most of the MPX in hand. I notice that there is difference between the firing pins. I insert the new pin into the bolt and … dafuq? It won’t fit. I take the bolt apart and I see the firing pin will not pass through the cam pin.

I call SIG the next day. (They are now in my favorites in my cell phone) The customer service rep. is very helpful. I retell my tale of MPX woe. He asks for my serial number. I give it to him. He tells me, that based on my serial number, I need a new bolt assembly. Then he says it will be two weeks. Sigh…

It has been a week and I’m still waiting.

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#9 learntoread

learntoread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Fuck Sig and Max Michel...

#10 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

SIG: guns are fine, parts are unavailable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#11 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

Fuck Sig and Max Michel...

Did he bang your mom?

#12 jakemartens

jakemartens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

I will give you $20 for it

#13 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

SIG: guns are overpriced.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FIFY

#14 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

I thought Tanfoglios were supposed to be the unicorns. There's a dozen places where every factory part and two aftermarket ones are stocked and ready to ship.

Sig's and HKs, on the other hand...

#15 Alan E

Alan E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

The new carrier and firing pin are better.  I was getting pierced primers in addition to eventually breaking the firing pin.

Problems went away with the new (2.5?) parts.  Firing pin spring was brought back, which based on my sample of two was the right decision.

"No Discourse whatsoever, can End in absolute Knowledge of Fact." Thomas Hobbes

TY43606

#16 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

My new firing pin does not fit through

The new carrier and firing pin are better.  I was getting pierced primers in addition to eventually breaking the firing pin.

Problems went away with the new (2.5?) parts.  Firing pin spring was brought back, which based on my sample of two was the right decision.

I hope so. My new firing pin doesn't fit through the cam pin. I'm waiting on new parts - still.

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#17 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

Cam pin + drill press = problem solved

Firing pin + lathe = problem solved

Choose one

• getaway likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#18 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Choose one

3/4 of gun owners don't know how to disassemble a magazine for cleaning. I doubt a lathe or drill press is a viable option.
Hell, using a staple gun is a complex operation to some.
  • PupTown, GuanoLoco, Buck Turgidson and 1 other like this

#19 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Choose one

And by lathe, you mean "chuck the pin in a cordless drill and grind on it with your dremel until you've removed too much material and scrap the part."

#20 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

And by lathe, you mean "chuck the pin in a cordless drill and grind on it with your dremel until you've removed too much material and scrap the part."

Maybe that's what you would do.

I'd cut a tiny center on the head, chuck it by the tip in a collet and put the tailstock on the center, and use a finishing insert at slow rpm and feed rate, taking just a few tenths depth of cut to thin it down without flexing it.

If I was going to do it on a cordless drill, I'd wrap 220 around it and spin it down then finish it off with 400/600/1200 grit.  At least it'd be round.

Oh, don't forget the good mic......

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SIG, MPX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users