102 replies to this topic

#1 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'll Probably stop updating this at some point based on my track record of sticking to a plan.

Shot my first season of USPSA last year and I'm all in now. I settled on open division and have a fancy new laser gun.

I picked up Dryfiring over the winter (Oct. or November?) and have stuck to it so far. I try to dryfire almost every day which has worked out on average to be about 4 days a week. Ive noticed improvement but would like to document it so I can review and keep track of things better.

I have Bens books and have learned the importance and application of dry firing. Before I thought dry firing was pulling the trigger without ammo. The structure of working out of his books has steered me in a good direction. I feel like I have an idea of how to get better now. I just picked up dryfire reloaded so I will be using that, I gave my original dryfire book to a friend so when I beat him in every match we shoot together he has no excuses. (he wont read it)

Im hoping that starting this thread will be a push to sticking to a schedule and achieving my goals in this sport and not getting derailed. I am going to set one day a week to live fire practice after work. looking like every Thursday. I have also told myself on a couple different occasions that I will wake up at 5 am to dry fire before work so I can still hit the gym 4-5 days a week and have no excuses as to why I didn't dry fire that day. I have yet to follow through with that though because I am lazy. Immediate goals change on a weekly basis. Putting them in writing I think is best for me.

Goals: short term

Dryfire everyday. Win local matches.

I will be shooting a classifier match April 1st so depending on where I land I will probably throw in the goal of make (insert class here) class.
I want to make GM but I don't think I can shoot matches at a GM level right now. So I guess a goal is to compete at a GM level at some point. Looking at what it takes to throw out GM scores on classifier stages isnt out of reach in my head. I think hitting 95% or higher is doable on classifiers. But Classifiers are more or less Stand and shoot so I dont know if being a paper GM is the best goal.

I spent last nights dry fire session setting up some of the classifiers I will be shooting. Some are easier than others. I set partimes that would be 100% if shot mostly a's. It was an eye opener.

#2 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

Goals: short term

Dryfire everyday. Win local matches.

You need to further define your goals.  A nebulous "every day (how long?)" or "win matches (against whom?)" is hard to quantify.  Break them down into more detailed goals.  For instance - Dryfire 7 days a week - 1 session for 30 minutes minimum or maybe Dryfire 5 days a week 2 sessions a day for 20 minutes each, minimum.

With the "win local matches", how can you control who shows up that day? There is a local GM who shows up every third or four month to my club's match and knocks the normal hotshot's dick in the dirt by 20% or better.  What goals do you want to achieve at the match? Shoot clean, shoot 90%+ of points, 85%+ Alphas? Make it quantifiable.  Be concerned with process driven goals, not outcome.

• Sweet T and ralloway like this

#3 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

You need to further define your goals.  A nebulous "every day (how long?)" or "win matches (against whom?)" is hard to quantify.  Break them down into more detailed goals.  For instance - Dryfire 7 days a week - 1 session for 30 minutes minimum or maybe Dryfire 5 days a week 2 sessions a day for 20 minutes each, minimum.

With the "win local matches", how can you control who shows up that day? There is a local GM who shows up every third or four month to my club's match and knocks the normal hotshot's dick in the dirt by 20% or better.  What goals do you want to achieve at the match? Shoot clean, shoot 90%+ of points, 85%+ Alphas? Make it quantifiable.  Be concerned with process driven goals, not outcome.

Good points. I have a hard time setting quantifiable goals. I just think outcome. aka I want to be the best. Like Lou Ferrigno said when training, wanting to beat Arnold in the Mr. Olympia. (Girlish cry like scream) "I want to beat him!"

Updated goal.

Dryfire at least 20 mins everyday.

We have GMs at a lot of the matches in my area. Mason Lane dominates the matches at my local club. I want to be competitive enough to not get stomped by him anymore. New goal. Dont get stomped by Mason Lane shooting production when I will be shooting open. Theres no excuse for that other than sucking.

#4 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

25 min dryfire session before going to the gym. Worked on 4 aces with a 2 sec partime and a three target transition drill with the same partime. Admittedly I was getting a little frustrated trying to jump right into nailing 4 aces in 2 seconds. Missed my draw a bunch and was getting lazy with my support hand at times. I have to focus on constantly gripping hard with my support hand when dryfiring. It's not engrained as an automatic habit yet.

Reread the intro to dryfire reloaded. I don't know if that part was rewritten or I overlooked it in the old book but going back and reading that was Insightful.

#5 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

New goal. Dont get stomped by Mason Lane shooting production when I will be shooting open. 

Not to be a pedantic dick, but that's still an outcome.  Break that down further.  What will you do at matches to not get stomped?

For instance: call every shot, no Deltas, Mikes, No-Shoots or FTEs.  Actually, that sounds like a good goal for me going forward....

#6 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

[quote name="busdriver" post="164553" timestamp="1490224661"]

Not to be a pedantic dick, but that's still an outcome. Break that down further. What will you do at matches to not get stomped?

Like I was saying I suck at setting goals. I think I'm just dumb.

Ok. I'll use your example as one of my goals. I want to Call every shot. My first match this year and first match shooting open I threw 3 mikes in one stage. I only called one. The other two were on wide open targets at about 18- yards. That was my first match of the year. I took second that day. Trying to call every shot seems like a good goal. I know I got lazy on the follow up shots and looked to the next target before firing the second shot. I don't want to do that anymore.

#7 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

How bout these examples:

Within the next 30 days, I will draw from the holster and fire 1 shot to the alpha head box from 5 yards within 1 second 80% of The time in both live and dry fire.

Within the next 90 days, I will reload the pistol within 1.5 seconds 90% of the time.

Within the next 120 days, I will shoot the Blake drill in 2 seconds 90% of the time.

#8 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

I want to Call every shot. My first match this year and first match shooting open I threw 3 mikes in one stage. I only called one.  I know I got lazy on the follow up shots and looked to the next target before firing the second shot. I don't want to do that anymore.

Now you're talking.  Then you just re-write it in your nugget to something like: In order to not get lazy and look to the next target early, I'm going to treat every shot as an individual event and only after calling the shot will I transition to the next shot.  That way it's not just something you suck at, but something you can do, that will make you better.

Will's examples are good performance type goals for training.

Don't feel bad about this shit, we're all working to get better.

#9 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

You need to read "with winning in mind" by Bassham.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• ralloway likes this

#10 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:38 AM

You need to read "with winning in mind" by Bassham.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I did. I want to read it again. The goal setting part (even though it is basically repeated with a shit load of examples over and over) didnt stick. I remember reading that part but dont remember it enough to apply it.

Even though its going to be about 30 degrees in late March  :angry:  today I'm making the trip to the range after work for a practice session. Snow and ice covers the range (Fucking New England) so movement oriented drill aint happening. Im going to setup Accelerator and throw 300 rds at it. 

Worked a little more on my draw in dryfire after the gym last night and am recalling why dryfiring everyday vs every other or every two days is the only way to go. Taking multiple days off of dryfiring and I feel like it takes me an entire dryfire session to dial in. Hitting a .6 partime to getting a sight picture is hard. It helped me point out to myself that I need to get my weak hand over to the gun to a consistent spot when drawing. having my mags essentially starting at my belly button makes it uncomfortable to say the least to try and make the belly touch method work for me. I'll experiment some more on this. I also noticed that when im trying to hit that partime or any fast draw partime, I tend to jerk my whole body on the buzzer. Just moving my strong hand to the gun quickly and keeping my hips from moving at all seems to be a better technique.

I also noted last night that it makes more sense to open my weak hand up more when grabbing a mag on a mag change. I smashed the tip of my fingers a shit load of times like I normally do when grabbing a mag and it never dawned on me to open my hand up like I'm high fiving my mag.

#11 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

I did. I want to read it again. The goal setting part (even though it is basically repeated with a shit load of examples over and over) didnt stick. I remember reading that part but dont remember it enough to apply it.

Dig back to when you were a teenager busting zits & jerking off every twelve seconds in school... remember CliffsNotes? Shit was written down and summarized. Do that with Bassham's book; read and take notes.  Gotta put the same effort into learning how-to and setting proper goals as you do actual firearm training.

#12 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

Did some Live fire yesterday. I sucked. temperature read 35 degrees but I swear it was much colder. I did learn a few things. Sti mags dont like sand, Forgetting to bring a tarp was dumb, and my gun likes to be lubed. I guess dryfiring a bunch and neglecting to treat the gun like a machine and oil it before actually shooting it is a bad idea. Lesson learned was to be more prepared. I really wish it would warm up. Shooting a classifier next week should be fun, I hope it warms up a little bit.

Geary queery notes, I might bump up to a heavier recoil spring. I popped a 7lb in the gun last time I shot it and I liked it and it ran minor and major so that was cool. If the gun is dry and isnt super lubed and it gets cold it felt really sluggish and becomes unreliable. If going to a 9 guarantees function I'll ditch the 7lb thats in there. I dont think the difference between the two really will matter all that much in performance or dot tracking (ill get used to it either way)  and I want the gun to run 100% in any condition.

#13 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Also on another note. The range crew/staff/volunteers only plow one strip per bay which I'm thankful for but it didn't leave a lot of area to spread the targets out when setting up accelerator. My point is that I don't know if I was cheating a bit on that drill because the targets weren't spread out super far (how much space in between the targets should there be?) results are skewed. I felt really really slow. Reloads were terrible and draw was insanely slow. First time of the day was something like 6.5 secs. Best run (out of maybe 8 complete runs) was 4.95 with 6 down.

I was surprised comparing the HF of two runs.

Hopefully im not completely retarded and this is right but my fastest run was 4.95 with 6 down. compared to a 5.55 run all A's the faster run produced a better HF.  On a good day with some more practice I want to bring my "warmed up" runs below 5 maintaining A hits. Again, not sure if I put enough space in between the targets to make these results mean anything as far as goals to aim for. I will revisit this drill next practice sesh.

#14 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Dryfired for only a measly 15 mins tonight after working out. Went well though and I felt really focused. I was thinking about what I read in dryfire reloaded yesterday that when hitting a reload it's easy to stay tense and mess it up (or something like that) and it finally clicked to try and relax the hand tension when hitting a reload and reestabolishing a hard grip after the reload is complete. I read that before but couldn't feel like I applied what I read to myself. Today it felt like I could actually separate the reload from the first half of the drill and relax the hands and arms and hit the reload better.

#15 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

I would argue 'dry fire every day' is an action not a goal. It's an action that will help you achieve a goal. It's something that we can basically choose to do or not do.

To me the goal is the outcome/achievement for this part of your development. Whether that be attainment of a particular skill, meeting a bench mark (par time, hf, classifier %, etc). Try and pick outcomes that are within your control. Or saying 'I want top 5 at xxx match' may not be within your control.

So a goal may be.

'Reach the par times on these three drills'

The action:

'Dry fire 15min a session, 5 sessions a week'

Just my perspective. :)

#16 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

I would argue 'dry fire every day' is an action not a goal. It's an action that will help you achieve a goal. It's something that we can basically choose to do or not do.

To me the goal is the outcome/achievement for this part of your development. Whether that be attainment of a particular skill, meeting a bench mark (par time, hf, classifier %, etc). Try and pick outcomes that are within your control. Or saying 'I want top 5 at xxx match' may not be within your control.

So a goal may be.

'Reach the par times on these three drills'

The action:

'Dry fire 15min a session, 5 sessions a week'

Just my perspective. :)

Appreciate the input. I still am bad at setting goals. New goal, learn how to set goals. Action to achieve this will be to re read with winning in mind and take notes on how to properly set a goal.

Also Im confused by the advice of dont set outcomes as goals but then somehow shoot for an outcome as a goal.. Reading back through I was told to not set an outcome as a goal. Then to set an outcome as a goal.

Lets just say I havent set a goal yet. Learn how to set a measurable goal will be the top of the list.

#17 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Learning how to set goals is an action, not a goal.

#18 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

On another note. My goal-less training continued over the weekend. I worked on movement one day and trekked down into the basement because it is the only area I can really move aside from a few steps. Another reason is when trying to work on movement drills upstairs with a 1 1/2 year old Lab it gets very distracting. He thinks Im playing when I run around the house and tries to tackle/chase me.

I set two targets on one side of the basement (One open target one Partial) and three targets on the other side. I used my furnace as a barrier/wall. I worked on moving aggressively and getting my gun up ready to engage the target as soon as they were visible. I learned I am out of shape and need to do some cardio/shedding a few pounds wouldnt hurt. I didnt press the trigger on the target I just wanted to drive the gun/dot onto the target where I needed it to be and transition to the next. I think doing more drills like this will help me stay aggressive when shooting matches.

#19 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Set a goal without an action or an outcome. Got it.

Embrace the Goal.... Become the Goal...

#20 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Become a better Goal setter??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users