#21 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Become a better Goal setter??

That's like saying your goal is to shoot better. You really need to improve your goal setting technique. You're setting goals at a D Class level at best.

#22 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

I made it to page two of my diary :wub:  which is longer than I would have predicted this thing would last. Win.

Page one sums up I suck at explaining/breaking down my goals in a measurable attainable way, You guys pointed that out, so I thank you. I will continues this and update my goals as I see fit.

I'm looking forward to the classifier match this Saturday and getting classified in open. I would love to make A class so my ego isn't entirely crushed. Looking at the times/scores needed to score GM times on the classifiers listed I think A class is doable. The dryfiring continued and I feel it is going well. Learning something new everyday and feel I am making progress in my training. Ive been working on hitting reloads in my dryfire for this past week along with turning and drawing. I will be shooting PSA shootout which is a falling steel match in a couple weeks. Youre limited to 10 rounds per mag and it is stand and shoot. To do well you have to count correctly and hit reloads at a consistent peppy speed.These type of matches are what got me started into shooting and I like shooting them. But aside from this match and local matches that are like this I really dont think I should be spending most of my dryfire time practicing reloads if I want to get all around better at shooting Uspsa.

#23 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

The new Dry Fire Reloaded times are much more difficult. I try to shave some time off of the listed times because Im shooting open and hitting these times are no joke. Ive never shot production but id imagine hitting the partimes with production gear is quite a task. Looking forward to some good weather this Thursday and hoping this weeks live fire practice is more rewarding than last weeks shit show.

#24 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

I getting real sick of this fucking weather. 8-12" of snow coming this weekend so the classifier match is cancelled...... :angry:  Still going to hit the range today for some live fire before the ground gets buried by a foot of snow again..

#25 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Yesterdays practice went well. I was happy to get some range time in before we get hit with another foot of snow. I worked on accelerator again and noticed that I lean hard when hitting a reload. Im second guessing not working on my reload as much in dryfire because after seeing myself on video look like a retard and throw my entire body into a mag change I feel I have to iron that shit out. Static reloads are where I noticed it. Its almost like I practiced moving to my strong side while reloading too much and now I throw my body to my strong side like im shifting my weight like im about to move. I have filmed myself a bunch of times practicing in dryfire but never from the front so maybe thats how this terrible technique slipped through. I have to iron this retarded motion out of my reload for the sake of not throwing my back out while standing and shooting... its that bad..

#26 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

Finally figured out how to sync the audio with the video and got the footage viewable. This was the fastest run I threw up yesterday so naturally I chose this one. Throwing your entire upper body into a mag change looks like a lot of wasted movement.

#27 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:34 AM

working through dryfire reloaded and got to the jump rope hop scotch or whatever its called. Get a sight picture, move to the other side of a line, get a sight picture and repeat. That shit is hard and the 4 sec partime seemed impossible. Throwing in a reload with each movement for the next drill following that also made me feel like I really suck. I started with those two drills and was so frustrated I ended up doing them for 45 mins before I bagged it up and threw in the towel. It was a reality check and a workout. I was sweating balls and couldn't help but think to myself while I was doing it    "is this drill some kind of dumb joke to see who will throw mags across the room and rage quit?"

#28 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hit The plate rack for the first time in a while. I forgot how fun it is to shoot plates. I put up a personal best of 2.45 secs.  The video is 3 clean runs all under 2.6 I think. I want to get my draw to first shot at 1 sec or under and I think I could also speed up the splits if Im really going for it. This is where Im at for now on plates.

#29 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

I feel like I just had a break through in trigger control and I really want to go to the range to see if I can stop sucking at pulling the trigger. When I say break through I mean I noticed that I don't know how to pull the trigger without disturbing the sights (dot). Experimenting with hand tension and trigger pulling continues.

#30 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've been working on gripping the gun harder in dryfire lately and reacting to the buzzer more quickly. I feel like my reaction to the beep is too slow and felt like I needed to readdress that in my training. Hitting the timer on the beep to register a sound makes a night and day difference in getting to the gun quicker off the beep. Im disappointed in myself that I dont regularly react to the beep as quick as I think i should. Yesterday the few times I was trying it, I could register a .26 reaction to the beep but that was after about 4 tries. That tells me that I regularly react slower to the beep than I should because I quickly improved my reaction time with very few attempts. I think I am thinking too much about the draw instead of allowing to be more natural so Im almost distracting myself when I should just be waiting for the b in beep and then quicly move my hand to the gun. I tried Hwansiks method of drawing a straight line to the gun im my head and I liked doing that it definitely helps me. I think the reason it helped was it was something to think of and take my mind out of the draw and just doing the action. I also noticed when I set a short partime I race the second beep instead of doing the action as fast as I can get it done. I have to stop thinking about racing the beep. it messes me up.

#31 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

I dryfired for about an hour and a half last night. Felt very productive and motivated. Actually got my lazy ass up out of bed earlier than usual and got in about 20 mins more of dryfire before work today. If I can only keep this waking up thing going I might be somebody.

#32 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

Finally got to shoot a match yesterday. Second match of the season second time shooting open and it was an eye opener in the fact that Im slow as balls. I got stomped yesterday. I pulled up to the range and I was partly overwhelmed by the amount of shooters at this club which is way out in the boonies. Ive shot one match at this range before (icore :wacko: ) so I wasnt really expecting a turn out like this. Apparently some guy named Manny Bragg was teaching a class at this range and part two of the class was shooting the match. I remember seeing manny was hosting a class locally but I didnt have any extra money to take it so naturally, I forgot all about it. It seemed to me the match was very hoserish and I quickly realized I cant hose for shit. I cant do much for shit but this was an eye opener that my hosing skills are non existent. My close range target to target transitions are lacking. I fell back into my roots of shooting slow. damn. I had someone take a video of me and I got to compare it to the guy who placed first in open (second overall behind Manny) because he was in my squad which is very cool because I took a video of him shooting the same stage. Close range stuff my target transitions need to speed up. Overall I need to speed up everything but the little footage I got was good for reflection. Looking at the scores, my times compared to the other open shooters were on the slow side. On a stage I shot clean at 22 secs, someone shooting it at like 18 with a mike was a Half of percent behind me. Speed trumps all. The stage winner shot it at 17.70. I got fancy on that stage and shot two targets at about 10 yards while walking backwards but it didnt really save me any time. Actually probably slowed me down.

But, I did shoot on the move every opportunity I saw which was good I guess. I was looking at some video of myself shooting last year and I never fired a shot while moving so I figured that should be the first thing to start trying to implement coming into the world of open division. My last practice session I was trying this shooting on the move thing so it was fresh in my head to go for it.

I probably should have got a Dairy queen yesterday :blink:  I let a shot go while extending my arms and gun out towards a target while coming into a position. I didnt mean to pull the trigger... My stage went to absolute shit from there because I was expecting a tap on the back or a voice screaming stop. I continued shooting but basically turned retarded at that point still thinking "ok, when is he going to stop me..."  I thought he might just be a little but behind me so I transition to a piece of steel and just stop on it... again waiting for a tap on the back but I didnt get stopped so I went on shooting. I plugged a no shoot twice, got called for two shots out of the shooting area and basically zeroed the stage.. And Its the only other Video I have of the match so I'll let you guys watch it ! Yayy!

So question, DQ? Should I have stopped myself? Idk I'm green.

#33 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

The only other footage. I shot this stage in 22 secs. I was beat by a guy shooting it in 20 with a mike

#34 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Don't fucking stop until they tackle you. Seriously, they may have missed it or as it was, a none DQ'able offense.

#35 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Don't fucking stop until they tackle you. Seriously, they may have missed it or as it was, a none DQ'able offense.

Looking back, his head was down when I let it go and he looked up after he heard it and saw me go full retard as I took another shot while out of the shooting area. Plugged a no shoot twice, called both shots, only made up one of them... Full retard

#36 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

If you let a shot rip while gun is up on target (regardless of arms extended or not) and it doesn't hit the ground right in front of you that is not a dq UNLESS you were reloading or clearing a malf.

There are specifics in the rules but I cbf looking them up. You should check it out though. It helps to know what is/isn't a dq offence.

#37 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Watched the vid. Doesn't look like a dq to me.

Definitely never stop yourself unless you are in trouble. For example suddenly feel nauseous or dizzy, or you fell over and have hurt yourself or ear pro or eye pro falls off. Or you see someone down range. Otherwise you keep going till you're done. None of this 'I'll do the 'right thing' and dq myself bullshit'. Often the shooter is not the best judge of what happened and may not fully know the rules. Let the Ro make the calls (that's his job) and argue them if you think you have to. :)

#38 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

So the GM you are comparing yourself to is Scott B? If so, you know he retired at an early age and basically is a full time shooter so that is a high bar.

I'm not so sure your comment of "speed trumps all" is sound. You should setup the scoring of a classifier in excel - like el prez. Shoot it and score it 10 times and start to model different speeds and hits and you'll be surprised at what you find...

#39 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

So the GM you are comparing yourself to is Scott B? If so, you know he retired at an early age and basically is a full time shooter so that is a high bar.

I'm not so sure your comment of "speed trumps all" is sound. You should setup the scoring of a classifier in excel - like el prez. Shoot it and score it 10 times and start to model different speeds and hits and you'll be surprised at what you find...

Yes Scott B. I do agree I normally set a high bar. I dont want to beat some joe schmo, I want to beat the guys winning. Whether that will become a reality is only a matter of time, but I dont know how much time it will take.

On another note I just came back from PSA shootout in Palmyra Pennsylvania. It was a blast and I'm happy with how it turned out. I went into the match really only caring about how I did in open. I was very satisfied with the way I was shooting all day. I had a couple of really fast runs one still being the high time of the match overall on stage 4. Doug Koenig was there along with a bunch of really great shooters, James Mcginty, Al surko, David Olhasso, Jim Meyers and many more.Through the first 5 out of 6 total stages I was having a day where I honestly thought at the time I had a shot at placing top 3. I just had to put it together for the final stage and pull out a great run.

Naturally I blew it. I dropped my last mag and didnt bring extras to the table. Once a mag hits the ground at this match, it is dead. I took a ten second penalty for leaving two targets standing along with about 5-8 seconds wasting looking around for a mag with rounds left in it...... Ended up 14th place in open.. .DAMMMN. Im still beating myself up over that. It was a learning experience though and took away a lot from the match. Like I need to simulate some pressure in my practice somehow which was great timing for the latest practical pistol podcast because they cover this exact topic.

I surprisingly placed well with my limited gun (stock Auto) 5th place which I had no intention of doing well with. David Olhasso took first and I was only 1 second off of a 3rd place finish and for no practice with that gun I am very happy with that placing. I placed 7th in revolver but who cares about that. I still find these matches a lot of fun and I want to shoot it again next year and see if I can pull something off. I think the Grandmaster Troll Angry Matt was there too looking back at the results.

For now, back to training to do gooder at uspsa matches. All the dryfire and practice definitely helped with this match because I normally tank multiple stages with multiple guns and I only tanked one stage with one gun this time. Cudos to me.

Should be shooting a Uspsa match this weekend. Im going to try and get through this one without letting rounds off unintentionally and will call every shot.

Heres a vid of the stages I got on video with the stock gun. nothing impressive but enough for 5th place.

• Will likes this

#40 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

TL;DR

Must have been a pretty thin field to put up a finish like that.

Jeez, also, take enough mags. I usually bring 7 to the table. I've never shot 70 rounds but I did lose 3 mags during a spectacularly failed series of reloads.

Hell even on Sundays I take 5 up to the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users