102 replies to this topic

#81 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Backed off of the dryfire a bit since the pain in my left forearm/wrist flared up and it seems to be getting better. I only dryfired for about 15 mins last night and just worked on entry's, exits, and keeping the gun up and aimed when coming into a position.

Shitty V3 Cmore Rts2 crapped out on me last weekend on the first stage of a match. I put a shim under the battery for now as a temp fix and it worked, getting me through the rest of the match without issue. But I will have to send this thing back to cmore soon to get upgraded to the v4 version. Thats probably gonna take 2-4 weeks where I will not have a dot on the gun again which blows but Its gotta get done before Area 7 creeps up.

#82 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

Haven't given up shooting, but have taken a break from the internet world for the last 2 months. Well at least Doodie Forum, Benos classifieds, Facebook, Instagram, all that fun stuff that us millennial's do. I came to the realization that I spend way too much time on the internet and wanted to take a break. Updating this thread did push me a little to dryfire more and practice regularly. Who would have thunk it,  Writing youre going to do something increases the odds of actually doing said thing.

Shot a classifier match in the pouring rain about a month ago and made A Class. Just in time for Area 7 yay.

Shot Area 7, I fucked up 2 stages back to back by skipping a target on each stage. One 32 Round stage I completely skipped a popper which hurt me pretty good. I was the last shooter before the 12pm lunch break and at about 11:57 went up and should have taken the extra few seconds to run through the stage again in my head before starting, but didnt.

Next stage I was going over the plan I made the day before and was more or less just refreshing my plan and somehow forgot about the last target of the stage. 2 mikes and FTE. gay. Other than that I feel I shot a pretty solid match. No Mikes other than the targets I didnt shoot at.

Finished 7th in Open. Some other A class guy sandbagged harder than me and took 4th. The other finishers were M or GM so Im happy with how I shot that match. Had I not skipped the two targets I did I would have taken 2nd 3rd or 4th which would have been a nice ego booster but everyone else in the match probably has the same story. "Had I not sucked I would have done better"

I shot 91.34% pct. pts shot counting Penalties. The winner shot 88.66% .

Life choices might force me to sell the SV open gun and switch to production next year, or completely take some time off from shooting. Im waiting a few more weeks to start selling shit off though but that is seeming more and more realistic the more I think about it. I need to come up with a bunch of cash to possibly buy a business and shooting is taking a back burner to that one. I have about $10,000 tied up into 2 guns and mags. That shit is retarded.

That being said I do want to shoot a couple more matches this year in open and try to make M by the end of this season. That would be cool for my ego. 

Atlas gunworks sponsered Area 7 and were there showing off their shitty guns. I had nothing to say to the guy. I was reeaaaaaally hoping I won the prize gun they were giving away....oh well.

#83 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

I also won the biggest falling steel match in our area Walls of Steel in open. I shot the match with a limited gun as well (they call that division Stock) and took 3rd. Last year I finished 7th in open. This winter I picked up dryfiring and won the match as a result. Practicing works.

#84 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Congrats on the wins man. This has been a lost year for me between my babysitter/wife being out of commission for most of the summer and launching a new product for work - hopefully next year gets better.

#85 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Congrats on the wins man. This has been a lost year for me between my babysitter/wife being out of commission for most of the summer and launching a new product for work - hopefully next year gets better.

Thanks man, I remember you mentioning youre basically done for this year shooting wise because of home life being in the way. Production might by my next few year division if I even shoot at all. We will see.

#86 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

There is some good heat in our area for production, and $10k in guns is pretty nuts. Fucking with comps, loads, stupid mags, retarded gunsmiths, just not worth it.

#87 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

There is some good heat in our area for production, and $10k in guns is pretty nuts. Fucking with comps, loads, stupid mags, retarded gunsmiths, just not worth it.

I'm starting to come around to the same thinking there. Just shoot production and simplify all the bullshit.

#88 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Well, I'm switching to production....

For now, production will have my full attention. Jumping around to other divisions isn't an option anymore because I sold all of my other guns.

Open gun is sold along with almost everything 2011 related. Felt inclined, because this is Doodie, to play with a Stock 2 so I bought one. Im looking forward to getting matches under my belt in production before the season gets snowed in. 

• Will likes this

#89 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Getting snowed in is dumb.

Shooting iron sights while your eyes work isn't dumb, but just barely.

Since you jettisoned the golden SV parachute and are free-falling into minor with no back up you are entitled to say that major is bullshit easy points and open shooters are HOA whores who fear the mighty PCC on the local chart topping practiscore scene.

Or you admit to being an agent of the only real division - open - who is wading into the shallow end of the shooting gene pool to see why in the fuck, other than a stagnant education system that relentlessly pushes a base-10 system to the exclusion of non-linear multi-dimensional string theory, people would want to half load a magazine to 10 and then suffer nerve damage trying to reduce reloading times.
  • shmella and Will like this

On injured reserve.

#90 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

Well at least I wil be safer shooting production. According to the lawmakers in my state it’s obviously safer to only be able to have 10 rounds in a mag at a time.

Played with the stock 2 for the first time last night. Still don’t have the belt converted to production but mag changes shouldn’t be as shitty as singlestack without a magwell. So there’s that. Gun needs a trigger job. Probably about a 8lb da 3.5+ sa. I’ll attempt this myself with some springs and such and polishing. I picked up some Henning grips and that all I plan to do to this thing. I should have just got one of these years ago. It fits my hand really well. I like it. It feels better in my hand than my 2011 9mm limited gun with a Pt Evo grip. I sold off and traded all my powder for a bunch of titegroup and 124gr blue pills.

I’m excited to get some range time in with this thing.

#91 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lots of production heat in New England, you won't be disappointed.

#92 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

I shot production for the first time yesterday. Overall I noticed a lot of issues to work through, but it was pretty much as expected since I havent been dryfiring or practicing much at all lately.

Tangfo gave me all kinds of issues FTE-ing all over the place. I only put 150 rounds through this gun before the match so there wasnt much testing done to figure this out before the match. I installed the extra power extractor spring and filed a little on the extractor after the match, so hopefully I figure this thing out sooner rather than later. I only plan on shooting 2 maybe 3 more matches before winter takes its hold on my parts.

Two Classifiers at this match and of course I had a FTE on one which obviously trashed that stage and put up a mid B class run on the other so that wasnt the start I was hoping for, for my initial classification in Production. I still ended up in Second In Prod. for the match behind Mason Lane. I got to squad with him which was a good learning experience. If I can, I'm going to try to squad with him as much as possible in the near future. Much to learn.

#93 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

The drive to practice and trying to get better is coming back (after disappearing for a little bit)and I’m feeling motivated again. Of course the season is basically over but I’m happy to have some drive back. I think I solved my tanfo issue of failing to eject rounds but time will tell if it’s gone for good. I took the belt sander to the inserts of my daa racer mag pouches which made t so the pouches don’t have a death grip on the mags and I’m much happier with the release of the mags from them now.

The lack of motivation Ive been struck with I know is the direct result of picking up the game of golf.... I golfed for the first time this year and the more I golf the less I shoot. I don’t want to turn into slink so I’m fighting the urge to continue down this destructing path of being <mediocre shooter\golfer and put all my efforts towards one. I want to be a bad ass shooter competitor and just a regular shitty non competitive weekend golfer. Only problem is My personality type doesn’t agree with saying I accept being shitty at something.... I’m doing my best to not turn into slink, but I can’t make any promises to myself just yet 🙁

#94 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

10,800 Blue Bullets showed up today and I'm dying to get out and put some rounds through this tanfo. Dryfire is helping with my confidence in the gun handling department and getting sight pictures on entry's and exits, transitions,etc. But I need to learn this gun and trigger, live fire is much needed right about now.

#95 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Got to put some rounds downrange. Tanfo is running, no malfunctions in about 500 rounds. Live fire in the rain was a little miserable. I need to work on trigger control, or at least patience in letting my sights settle on an acceptable sight picture.  Partials at 20ish yards are hard.

Note from my last range trip is that I pretty much only shoot target focused, which I am not saying is a bad thing per say but I did notice it. 

I need to set some goals, or at least set a regimen in place.

#96 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

I felt like I had an aha moment in my grip specifically my weak hand. I naturally curl my weak hand thumb downward or towards the frame of the gun or point the nail of my thumb downward or forward. Today in dryfire I tried to instead, disassociate my thumbs from the grip specifically my weak hand thumb and I instantly felt like I could grip the gun much more harder. I felt like I could grip the shit out of the gun for a change and didn’t experience any shooting pains up my wrist and forearm like I have had in the past with my thumb engaged. I’m basically pointing my thumb up which I feel let’s me push the pad of my hand into the grip panel. Pointing and driving the gun felt much more in control and I felt the sights moved less even when smashing the trigger. I know I have a terrible habit of not gripping hard enough when shooting. I’m going to change that.

#97 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

I'm curious how that will work in live fire.

#98 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

I’ll be sure to update when I get out and test drive the hands.

#99 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Live fire practiced yesterday, little over 300 rounds well spent. When I remembered to apply grip pressure correctly, things went pretty well. Still fell back into shitty grip techniques a few times and it showed. All in all the new to me grip technique seems to work quite well for me. My weak hand was good and tired out at the end for a change.

I ran out of targets so I dumpster dived at my club and luckily found some targets that werent too shot up yet.  I set up an open target at 7yards and a partial at about ten, then drew a box as a second position about 15 feet away that I ran to and finished on two open targets at about 18 yards. I drew in some lines in the sand as a shooting area for the first position and tried to stay moving as I engaged the first two targets.  I ran the drill cold and was trying to just call my shots and see how the grip technique panned out. I ran that a bunch and filmed myself to see what I was doing. Something I noticed that I do is take very small close together steps which might be good if you’re trying to sneak up on someone and splinter cell attack their ass, but for uspsa a wider more stable way of moving seems to be better. I then attempted a few more runs trying to deliberately take wider steps with a more stable base and although my times were all somewhat close and varied with both techniques, the wider steps are what I am going to attempt to execute in the future.

I recorded my runs and hits for the first 8 or so runs. Im admittedly lazy and am not very analytical when it comes to breaking down this information so I cant comment on the hitfactors of the runs just yet.

At the end of the practice session I attempted some speed drill shit to see where I’m at.

Ran some 4 aces runs and had a personal best of 2.13. Although it was more like 3 aces and 1 delta I think I could pull off a 2 second run with enough attempts. The hits will need some work on my index off the reload and index in general. Regularly put up some 2.4x-2.6x 4 aces which I’m happy with.

Also put up a personal best bill drill of 1.60 but it was at like 3 yards.

Note worthy thing For the practice was I was consistently pulling off sub second draw at 7yards into the A-zone which is a milestone for me. I have been finally putting the mark 7 to work and piling up a decent amount of finished rounds. More practice sessions will be a good thing.

Grip the gun and pull the trigger.

• racetaco likes this

#100 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

I didn’t break skin yet like the dryfire champions out there. But I noticed today that I bruised the back of my stong hand with my weak hand fingers. That tells me my new grip technique is better than what I’ve done in the past. That and I’m effectively and consciously gripping hard during dryfire and live fire. Finally.
  • Stubb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users