49 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

I used to use a green fiber optic front sight many years ago, but have been using red for the last 2.5 years or so. I went out and practiced with a few buddies today, and shot both of their guns, one to help assure his zero, and one to make fun of his Tanfo, being the STI shooting 1911/2011 snob that I am. I noticed that they both had green FO rods in their front sights, and I'm not sure if it's the particular lighting conditions of today, or the lenses that I'm now using (which do have a little of a reddish tint to them, hmm...) but I much preferred the green FO front sight. It seemed easier for me to clearly see the edges of the front sight, while still being bright enough to help with finding it on presentations.

What say the Doodies? Also, before anyone says it, I'm 100% positive this has been discussed on this forum somewhere before, but reply anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

i've never tried green, but I dull my red ones down with a sharpie so i can still see the edges of the front sight. If I were you I would change to green tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have some green fibers you can use. You still have a couple days to get dialed in before A1.  ;)

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#3 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

i've never tried green, but I dull my red ones down with a sharpie so i can still see the edges of the front sight. If I were you I would change to green tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have some green fibers you can use. You still have a couple days to get dialed in before A1. ;)

I already made the switch, and took some sight pictures in the back yard. I like it, and I've used it before. I'm not in favor of making significant changes the week before a shot match, but a little DF getting used to a different color will be just fine.

• Motosapiens likes this

#4 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

You'll probably want to change the bullet weight and OAL of your loads to compensate.... just sayin'.

• racetaco likes this

#5 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

You'll probably want to change the bullet weight and OAL of your loads to compensate.... just sayin'.

Haha, I'm getting a sense that you think a change as small as the color of my fiber before a major match is foolish. I do wish Leatherhead would make a 200gr 40 for me, but Dave doesn't think they'd sell.

#6 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

Haha, I'm getting a sense that you think a change as small as the color of my fiber before a major match is foolish. I do wish Leatherhead would make a 200gr 40 for me, but Dave doesn't think they'd sell.

Just busting your balls. You seem to prepare pretty well, except for checking your zero.

I didn't realize LH doesn't have 200 gr. I will certainly give them a try when I get a dumb limited gun, but damn those guns shoot nice with whatever load you're currently using. That was a real eye-opener.

• Lloyd Christmas likes this

#7 Not Will

Not Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

I strongly prefer the green fiber, but I found the most important thing is properly recessing the rod.  You get a bright green dot with crisp edges.  

Attached Files

• SlivGod likes this

#8 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

Green, by leaps and bounds. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#9 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Yup, green
Full retard finally got me HOA!

#10 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Now you fuckers are making me want to try green (after A1), and I'm not even sure I like FO's period. I just went back to a dulled-down red FO after shooting plain black sights for a long time. I *think* i can find the fiber a little faster at speed, and have a little better awareness of sight alignment and position, but I may just be psyching myself out with the placebo effect.

#11 dsa

dsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

I do wish Leatherhead would make a 200gr 40 for me, but Dave doesn't think they'd sell.

Working on it.

• Lloyd Christmas likes this

#12 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

I do wish Leatherhead would make a 200gr 40 for me, but Dave doesn't think they'd sell.

Working on it.

I'll be your first customer! (If they work with Titegroup, I have a LOT of Titegroup)

#13 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

Switch before every match and you'll see the fiber way better because you'll mindfuck yourself into concentrating on it

• dravz, Motosapiens, phil datpus and 2 others like this

#14 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

Green or orange. Blue was kind of interesting but not as easy to track through recoil.

I hate red fiber with a passion. My eyes will not focus on it.

#15 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Whatever color you choose, Steve Anderson will attack it with a black sharpie...
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#16 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

Also, iirc, studies have indicated that the average human eye can pick up colors like green much better than red. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#17 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

Also, iirc, studies have indicated that the average human eye can pick up colors like green much better than red. 

I'm pretty sure you have that backwards.

But it isn't about what works for most, it's about what works for the individual. everyone's color vision is different and what works for one is a problem for another.

The only sane way to do it is to try all the options and see which one you track the best. Be sure to try different levels of brightness (Anderson's sharpie), as that makes a huge difference too. Too bright and the halo around the dot actually obscures the target a bit making it harder to index. Too dim and it might as well not even be there.

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#18 Sweet T

Sweet T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

I'm pretty sure you have that backwards.

In keeping with your recent track record, you're wrong.  

Sliv is correct.

• SlivGod likes this

#19 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

I refer you to all the studies used to pick the color of traffic lights.

... and this, just the first thing to show up in a quick Google search:

https://www.quora.co...o-blue-or-green

You guys need better Google-Fu.

If you want the most irritating color, pick yellow-green. It has the fastest eye fatigue.

...none of which really answers Lloyd's question. But if he's a good little sheep, he'll run right out and get a green FO just because a stranger in the interwebz told him to instead of trying them all himself and deciding what works for his eyes.

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#20 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

If green was easier on the eyes they'd use it for submarine combat lighting instead of red.

• SlivGod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users