NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:29 AM

Yellow, for two reasons...

Red and green are two colours that are more difficult to distinguish if you are colour blind or partially colour blind.

Yellow has a much better contrast to black, (front sight post), the reason why road signs are often black and yellow.

I shot with yellow fiber once and it was okay. I think it's pretty equivalent to red. (not colorblind)

#42 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

I shot green for a long while, switched to red a couple months ago... only time I notice any real difference is dry firing in my dark ass garage... I definitely prefer green for that situation.  But I prefer the red for real shooting.  I imagine a dimmed green would be just as likable as the red in brighter conditions, but would probably give me the same hard to see situation in my dry fire area.   If I was baller enough to have two identical guns, id have one of each and use according to lighting.

#43 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Went to the range today, last chance to do so before Area 1. I found that the green is, to my eyes, smaller and sharper looking than the red, and "bloomed" less than the red in bright sunlight, but was also super bright. I dulled it with a Sharpie, as is common practice now apparently, and it was awesome. Still noticeable enough to make finding the front sight a little quicker than black, as well as I think it aids in sight tracking up and down, but not so bright as to wash out the front sight even in bright sunlight. It's entirely possibly that a Sharpied red would be the same, but I know from past experience that a old or dirty red doesn't show up for Shit indoors or on cloudy days. Hopefully this will be the best of both worlds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Stubb likes this

#44 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Awesome.

Good luck at A1.
  • Lloyd Christmas likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#45 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Agree with the group. Sharpie'd green FO is the hotness.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#46 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

I save money on sharpies by dimming my fiber with titegroup crud.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• SlivGod, Nimrod, ToddKS and 3 others like this

#47 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

The legend of green being a better color for sights comes from an article published way back in the 80's or maybe before in a prominent gun magazine. At the time people were experimenting with colored inserts inserted into the front ramp sights popular on holster guns. Some nerd, I wish I could remember who, said science proved humans pick up green better than other colors, I don't think it was valid for the application but a lot of people ran with it. I've also read that humans tend to see red as danger, fire and all that, green is safe a nice grassy spot maybe we looked for grass knolls back in the day. There are conditions where our eyes pick up differences in shades of green easier than others. I talked to a guy who was part of a team looking for inidvidual marijuana plants out in the wilderness from a helicopter once, thinking it would be damn near impossible, he explained that the difference in the green of that plant stuck out like it was neon, 

TLDR I think green seems good partly because of the trick of the day effect, it's different than usual, can be brighter than red, we believe in some science project. For me I like red because I've spent a lot of time trying to find a red dot inside an old tube type electronic sight. Even on shotguns I prefer red. It's interesting that on one hand green shows up better has more contrast according the the green side, but then they sharpie their red sights so they aren't too bright.

• Mr_White likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#48 Maul

Maul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSkiville

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

In a submarine?

Red lights are used so your eyes aren't strained and losing night vision and all that shit. Whether or not that has anything to do with fiber sights is irrelevant, I'm just trying to stir the pot a little.

Use red headlamp to get in position before dawn for killing of deer. Does not fuck up vision like a regular.

#49 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

If green was easier on the eyes they'd use it for submarine combat lighting instead of red.

I thought it was because those sailors need to set the mood for those long "cruises" if you know what I mean. Any port in a storm , underwater free pass.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#50 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

200 dudes go out to sea, 100 couples come back.

green fo here. and paying very close attention to the size of the bulb so that is is recessed, symmetrical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users