104 replies to this topic

#1 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Let's be real: you don't want to watch this, there's nothing useful here, and even I find the details somewhat tedious.  But I'm gonna do it anyway and my friends aren't interested, so here I am.  (Intro for context.)

Conveniently, I'm awful at everything, so I don't have to put too much thought into my training to improve.  I've taken full advantage of that by just doing a hundred reps of whatever I'm doing, daily.  It's been a month now.  I'm still awful at everything, but now I'm awful with a large callus on my right middle finger where the trigger guard hits.  

(This is known as "the low-hanging fruit is landing on your shoes" territory.)

Spent most of the aforementioned month just running draws.  Have started to add in a little trigger press and target transition work when I'm feeling saucy.  I plan to continue in this way until I can perform all of the Elements drills in a vaguely competent manner.  At that point, I'll go to another match, fall apart under pressure, realize that I didn't actually have it burned in after all, and go back to step one.  If I ever get to the point where I actually can perform all the fundamental skills at a match in a vaguely competent manner, I'll revise my training plan, but I'm not holding my breath.

Favorite lowlight, of many, from the last month:

Dropped my gun, possibly more than once, doing speed draw practice from a retention holster.  Went to the range at some point after this.  RO pulls me aside on the way in and goes "Hey, you should show off, the dude on the lane next to you is pretty good."  Look at the dude, who is the dude who typically wins our club-level matches by a country mile.  Sigh.  Set up next to him.  Put up a slow-fire dot drill to accuracy fap before hopping aboard the strugglebus and... miss, at seven yards, POA off from POI by 3".  Look down.  Realize sights are visibly misaligned, then further realize I shot not one, but two club matches that way.

14c.gif

• diegomi and DanielKr like this

#2 CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Damn..
Fell for the title of this
I touch myself at the mall also , just not at the food court
There is nice bench in front of the Victoria secret in the mall.
  • Stranger Danger likes this
NITRO
Nitromethane, nitrous oxide, nitrocellulose ....3 of my favorite things
To be sure of hitting the target , shoot 1st and call what ever u hit the target.

#3 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

idiot sandwich.

#4 dels

dels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Points for making me click on the thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

I touched your mom in the food court.
  • Mr_White, CH3NO2 and Stranger Danger like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#6 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

Just because you eat there...

Wait, what you did there. I see it.

#7 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

Show me on your mom where the food court touched you

• Mr_White and Cranky Gunsmith like this

#8 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationExposed. In the flesh.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

Your mom works at the food court.

• Mr_White and Buck Turgidson like this

~ Does Your lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#9 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Ho's gotta eat too.

#10 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Went to a surprise!match this week.  I say "surprise" because I got on the waitlist weeks ago, before deciding that it would be both more productive and more fun to just set $20 on fire and dry-fire for an hour at home.  But the morning of, the MD pulled me off the waitlist; he needed someone who hadn't been ambushed by the cookie table to help with setup.

As usual, finished in the middle third.  Decided to shoot a stage prone SHO that everyone else was shooting freestyle low cover, which did not help.  Time to get MFCEO's comment tattooed on my forehead: "If you shoot it one way and everyone else shoots it another way, you're either a genius or a complete fucking retard.  And you're not a genius."  There was also a swinger on which I dropped ~15 points, but let us never speak of this swinger again.

Would have been top third-ish on one stage, but flinched an easy headshot.  Time, perhaps, to step up the trigger pull work.

Did beat "I just go to matches instead of practicing" (IJGTMIOP) guy.  Doubtless it was because, while I remembered to swap out my belt and magazine pouches to make it IDPA-legal, I left the thumbscrews on my new shiny non-retention holster, which IJGTMIOP guy was careful to point out to me are not IDPA-legal. (Thumbscrews, like hammers, subtract up to 30 seconds per stage.)  Spent 15 minutes changing everything back and cussing after the match.

New non-retention holster and one practice session took ~0.2 s off my draw.  Hovering right around 1.0 s when not doing my sloth impression (the "not" part is rare) last time I checked.  TODAY'S DREADFUL SUSPICION: combining draw and target transition is counterproductive, because I'm too busy mouth-breathing and repeating "EYES THEN SIGHTS" to focus on drawing quickly.  

Speaking of target transitions: eyes first, then sights, doesn't seem like such a difficult concept, so I must be just that dumb; at least 50% of the time I find myself swinging the gun first and following with my eyes, and this percentage is already greatly improved.  On the bright side, the 100 reps rule I've previously cited is 100 productive reps, which means that at least I get to suffer for my misdeeds.

Damn..
Fell for the title of this

Points for making me click on the thread.

The second most important component of good advertising is knowing your audience.  

(The first is lying.)

idiot sandwich.

The new offering from nihilist Arby's.

Just because you eat there...

Wait, what you did there. I see it.

Show me on your mom where the food court touched you

Your mom works at the food court.

Ho's gotta eat too.

This must be how it felt in days of yore when the Welcome Wagon rolled up to your house and dropped off a big fat basket.  The Doodie version is just delivered by overpaid white dudes with dry-fire-induced tendinopathies instead of smiling, nubile "hostesses", and the basket is full of dicks instead of coupons.  And there's an Ammobot in the back of the wagon.

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

TL;DR

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#12 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

tldr.gif

• ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#13 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

TL;DR

QFT

#14 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

ain't nothin but a G thang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

mrw-i-see-a-really-long-paragraph-withou

• Buck Turgidson and ShootsLikeaDog like this

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#15 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Dry-fire yesterday:

--> draw, transition, trigger-trigger, transition, trigger-trigger

[... 60 reps ...]

"So that's what pressing the trigger back straight feels like!  BREAKTHROUGH!  Angels sing!  This stuff actually works!"

--> smug smile

--> prances about house^Wdry-fire dojo with visions of me, actually shooting, filling head

--> fucks up draw, drops gat so hard the rubber band in the slide goes flying

#16 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Still dry-firing daily, still sucking, still working target transitions, draws, and trigger pulls.

Trying to get dry-fire done in the mornings instead of evenings, which is convenient when I wind up surprise!staying at work for 23 hours straight.  Neither of those things happened today, so we'll call it a wash.

As of late June, going to be varying degrees of blind for three months.  Possibly this will improve my shooting.  If it doesn't, I have a plan: killer reload.  Right now the only things that my reloads kill are onlookers, as they laugh themselves to death, and any hope of scraping myself out of the middle third of the pack.

Contemplating going to a GSSF match prior to that for shits and giggles.  I've never shot a plate rack and my transitions suck, so this should go real well. Team #GSSFcompletelyfailtogetpaid?  Thinking Competition as a warm-up, Guardian, and Heavy Metal.  A dry-fire plate rack has joined the pair of USPSA targets in the most glorious dojo.

Also contemplating trigger work.  And fiber sights.  But those will get me killed when all the lights go out in the food court unless I switch to my Sig and put a tactical flashlight on the rail.  Anyway, I'm not good enough to deserve nice things yet.

#17 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Fiber won't get you killed in the food court but combat sights will probably get you killed at the match.
  • ToddKS and ralloway like this

#18 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

Gather round, children, for another episode of Shooting Trek: The Retarded Generation.

As mentioned in my previous post, thinking about doing a GSSF match soonish.  Gallivanted off to the range for a quick assessment as to how all this daily fun was translating to live fire.  And it turns out that it is!  My transitions suck way less now and I can actually draw and mostly hit the target now without flinching into a foot.  (Mine or the target's, who cares.)

Flush with this success, but aware of the pedagogical science that shows that changing one little thing about a burned-in motor pattern can fuck everything up, I decided to give starting from low ready a try before I dropped a hundred-ish doll hairs on the GSSF match.

SPOILER ALERT: it did.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

So now I dry-fire from low ready.  Because apparently I really do have to burn in every single fucking movement change.  Gonna make sure I always wear the same fucking shirt in case the flash of a different color confuses my three brain cells, too.

Definitely getting some kind of dry-fire-induced hand herpes, too.  Various knuckle joints randomly spasm with pain.  Might have to give up masturbating, and also my job.

Fiber won't get you killed in the food court but combat sights will probably get you killed at the match.

To be fair, probably shouldn't attribute that to the sights.

#19 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

Dryfire enthusiasm is great. Until you end up getting elbow surgery. Twice. Have fun!!!

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#20 beerbaron

beerbaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

In the tactical world they are called 'hellbows'. Ask operator zero.
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users