Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Your mom works at the food court.

Your mom works the food court

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#22 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationIn the sauna, naked.

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Just like Your dad.

~ Does Your lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#23 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

BLUF: TL;DR.

Went to the GSSF match.  Five entries.  Shot like a retarded coked-up spider monkey on acid.  Had occasional moments of not shooting like a retarded coked-up spider monkey on acid.  Was pleased by this.  My standards are low.  But I shoot IDPA, so I repeat myself.

Notes on various elements:

- Sight pictures: No longer the limiting factor.
- Speed: Also no longer the limiting factor.
- Draws: Not applicable.
- Starting from low ready: Still bad at.
- Trigger control: First shots so, so terrible.  Close shots after that could be OK or could be awful depending less on speed and more on whether I kept my shit together and actually performed like I practiced.  Anything over 7 yards mostly wound up with target pox, a pointillistic and impressionistic pattern of woe and sorrow.
- Grip: Kind of okay when I didn't just flail around limp-wristing in honor of Pride weekend.
- Shooting at the speed of my sights: Nope.
- Mental game: Averaged out around a D-.  Was F- on a couple stages and maybe a C on one.
- Pasting: A+++++ would take MatchMeister in if was a division!

Life choices: Doubled my dry-fire leading up to the match, which caused a pleasant moment the night before in which someone took a hot poker to my elbow when I was removing the slide to clean it, and another pleasant moment in which a couple blisters on my hands did some bad things.  Took four times the recommended dose of Advil and everything was back to pretend-it's-fine territory, because better living through chemistry.

So now I've reduced the dry-fire to 1.5x the previous schedule (down from 2x) in the interests of progressive overload.  My fingers don't hurt quite as bad as they did.  And I'm running nothing but the trigger control at speed Elements drill, because if I fix that shit, I can get from retarded coked-up spider monkey on acid to just retarded coked-up spider monkey.

Story time!

ONE: A couple of the ROs saw that I was shooting faster than one round every five seconds and thought I was match heat, or at least mild match warmth.  I made it very clear to them that you have to actually hit the target in the correct area to be match heat, even GSSF match heat, to which at least one responded, "Well, I wouldn't be complaining about that performance!"  ... He'd just recorded two mikes.  And no, I don't think he was kidding.

TWO: Point of order: Is the part about pasting in the rulebook just a cruel joke, intended to suss out those who have never before attended a GSSF match so that they can be culled from the herd for brutal hazing?  Because after about seven or eight squads, I got so, so excited, because another shooter from my squad pasted!  We fell into a rhythm!  FEED RAMP HEADLINE: Breaking News: GSSF Shooter Pastes Targets!  But then he vanished, and it turned out that he was just one of the ROs in disguise waiting to shoot his entry, and my dreams were broken.  And if it's the brutal hazing thing, I mean, I didn't get any of that either, and I'm a little disappointed.

THREE: Got in a little late because reasons.  Saved the plates for last.  Got down to the plate rack around 1630, where I learned that the plan was as follows: A trainee RO was going to run me for twenty strings of fire in a row while another RO loaded for me.  As I mentioned previously, never before shot a plate rack.  Yep, went about like you're thinking.

Dryfire enthusiasm is great. Until you end up getting elbow surgery. Twice. Have fun!!!

Thanks to various hobbies, I have lasting nerve damage in my left wrist, a permanently detached tendon in my left hip, and an array of back issues with additional concomitant nerve damage.  Once I was on crutches for two weeks because of a hip pointer; another time I couldn't use an arm for another two because of a shoulder strain, fair number of stitches in various places.

In other words, I was looking for a hobby to fuck up those last few joints (elbow and finger), so it looks like I'm in the right place.

Who else has a horrifying dry-fire-induced injury story to share?  I'll need some to read while quietly weeping when the pain gets too bad to sleep.

In the tactical world they are called 'hellbows'. Ask operator zero.

I thought hellbows were something you did to someone else.  I have so much to learn.  Thanks for being my friend, Doodie!

Your mom works the food court

Just like Your dad.

Thank you for continuing the only worthwhile conversation happening in my log.  It's kind of like delicious mushrooms in pig shit.

Time to finish dry-fire now.  And yes, dry-fire happened after I came home from the match, too.  And now I don't have any skin on my knuckle but it's okay because who needs skin when you have dry-fire?

#24 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

TW: TL;DR again about the "Special Olympics of practical shooting."  But I feel like Doodies love laughing at the developmentally disabled, so here we are.

The three^Wfour great lies: "The check is in the mail," "Of course I love you, honey," "I promise I won't come in your mouth," and "It's very unlikely your vision will still be blurry tomorrow."

Signed up for another GSSF match pre-blindness to see if I could reduce the coked-up retarded monkey baseline.  Pre-op appointment the night before.  Dilated with some shit that made me look the part of a coked-up monkey, for two days.  Nutted up, drove three hours, and "shot" the match, painfully, in sunglasses.  Then drove back and picked up the emergency glasses I wasn't told I was going to need.  A+++ communication, would buy again even though box contained bobcat.

Logistics lessons learned and implemented from last GSSF match:

1) IDPA needs three mags, USPSA Production needs five mags, GSSF needs minimum six if you're shooting multiple divisions.

2) Food should be a) portable and B) with you.  Also, more water.

3) Don't haul all of your ammo around all day on your back, dumbass.  It's easier to walk back to the car in between divisions.
3a) Still not getting a fucking tactical cart.

4) This warmup thing is your friend and you should bring cash so you can try it.
4a) Ditto dry-fire, to include rubber-banded trigger control practice, at the safe table.
4b) Ditto sight picture before shooting the stage.
4c) Ditto remembering to apply the pistol grip in your pocket.

5) Arrive early enough that you don't have to shoot 20 strings of the plate rack all in a row.

Shooting lessons learned:

1) No, seriously, do whatever you have to do not to miss.
1a) This also really applies to D hits.

2) Slowing down to (mostly) get my hits added ~2 sec a string.  Which is not good, but is less than one D.

3) Trigger control trigger control trigger control trigger control.

4) The discipline to shoot at the speed of my sights is the critical thing.  My adjustability sucks.  I have to be able to turn speed up on command, on which I've made some progress; I also have to be able to slow down enough to hit 15-yard and 20-yard targets on command, regardless of whether it feels like empires are rising and falling in the time it takes.

Scorecard:

Mental game: Improved somewhat.  Blurry vision, first Shooting In The Pouring Rain experience, a couple real stinker stages.  Mostly managed to tune this stuff out.

Steel: Happier with steel.  Not sitting on the plate rack admiring my work as long now.  Times ranged from 4.5 s-8.5 s, with the lower end making up the bulk.  Think I can get that down to under a consistent four with a minimum of effort.  Some of the lower-end runs had makeup shots, so removing those and transitioning more aggressively will do a lot.

Long-distance: Can't make 15- and 20-yard A hits at anything like speed.  Need some live-fire practice with shot calling on this.

Short-range hosing: Actually pretty okay, which used to be a challenge for me.

Overall thoughts and notes:

First match, overall times ranged from ~100-150 seconds (average: ~125 s), with raw times ranging from ~74-82 s (avg: ~78 s).  Looking at amateur divisions, had two finishes in the top third of the pack, two in the middle third, and one in the bottom fifth.  Second one, overall was ~95-120 s (avg: ~107 s), with raw from ~68-79 s (avg: ~74 s.)  Amateur placings were three top third and three middle third.

Shooting clean or close to it on paper at my current speed, plus the steel stuff mentioned above, would put me in contention for a gat in Guardian or Heavy Metal (as always, depending on who shows up.)  Pretty sure this is low-hanging fruit; I haven't done much live-fire practice on hitting 15- or 20-yard As at speed, and I shot a plate rack for the first time at my first GSSF match.

Team #GSSFtomaybegetpaidby2018?

Blah blah blah exciting dry-fire update:

Still dry-firing every day.  Was able to tolerate upping rep volume by splitting it into ~150 reps in the morning and ~100 at night.  150 is the new baseline, though, so that happens every day now, including live-fire/match days.  Have been throwing in wide transitions and SHO/WHO trigger press work.  Still suck at everything.

#25 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

For GSSF you really need a minimum of 4 magazines per division. For example if you are shooting the same gun in 3 divisions then you would want 12 mags so you can run through the express lanes if availabe.

Get some type of cart. Saves energy. Not having one is just doing extra work.

Focus some practice time on 15-25 yard group shooting for GSSF success. Penalty time kills.

#26 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

As alluded to previously, I had eye surgery (PRK) on Friday.  Unlike LASIK, visual improvement continues for up to three months post-op, so I figured I might as well get it done now while I still suck super hard.  A lot of my friends are former military and had PRK as well, and their reports of eye demise were greatly exaggerated.  I was told "keep a cooler of food in a dark room," "you'll need a week off work," "10/10 worst pain of my life," etc.  All of this turned out to be filthy lies.

Procedure finished up around 1045 on Friday.  I skipped all systemic pre-medication and was immediately 20/25 post-op.  Against my surgeon's advice, I went back to work after.  At T+2 hours, I started feeling like I had a severe sunburn on my eyes.  I took high-dose Advil and a non-narcotic pain med (gabapentin.)  T+2.5 hours, I had such extreme sensitivity to light that I had to stop working.  On the way home, I had to close my eyes + wear sunglasses + cover my eyes with my hands or I had extreme light-induced nausea.  (Yes, someone else was driving.)

Saturday the extreme light sensitivity persisted, but I was relatively unblurry.  I was able to reconfiguring the Ghost pouches to be boolits-out and put them on my belt, go out to a meal with friends, cook some, get a major appliance delivered, and do 250 reloads (which gave me a new, shiny thumb blister.)  I did all this in sunglasses with the curtains closed.  I also slept a lot, but I think that was mostly the meds (side effects: drowsiness, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, nausea, dry mouth.)  I was able to text as well, albeit uncomfortably.

Sunday the blurriness increased and the light sensitivity remained pretty stable.  I was able to go out again and do my 250 reloads.  Texting was possible, but difficult and painful.  Thanks to the side effects mentioned above, I spent most of the rest of the day sleeping until I figured out it was the gabapentin; after that, I cut it out and stuck with the high-dose Advil.  Around 2200 that night, it was like a switch flipped; I was still sensitive to light, but drastically less so, to the point where I could comfortably walk around my house without sunglasses.

Today I'm back at work.  I have the brightness on my monitors all the way down, text size at 150%, and am wearing sunglasses.  There's definite blurriness, but I can see well enough to work and there's very little discomfort.  Driving was uncomfortable in morning sun, but not unsafe.  Surgeon told me that Sunday should be peak blurriness and that I should be pretty happy by the one-week mark, so I may be back to shooting before I was planning.

But speaking of shooting...

Reloads: So bad at these, like everything else.  Have mostly corrected the "flail around hitting the button with the gun tilted sideways", though, and have gone from flubbing every second or third seating to every eighth or ninth.  When I think about pointing my index finger into where the mag needs to go, angling to meet, and looking the mag into the gun, it goes better; the trick is doing these things consistently.  Can't really reacquire a sight picture after yet, because eyes, but feel like I'm getting a decent grip.

Running reloads: Did a couple of these for shits and giggles.  Comedic gold!

Draws: Took a bit off from working these for the GSSF stuff.  Pleased at how much I seem to have retained.

For GSSF you really need a minimum of 4 magazines per division. For example if you are shooting the same gun in 3 divisions then you would want 12 mags so you can run through the express lanes if availabe.

Get some type of cart. Saves energy. Not having one is just doing extra work.

Focus some practice time on 15-25 yard group shooting for GSSF success. Penalty time kills.

In the absence of having all the mags available, how common is it to let you shoot multiple divisions and put a shooter in between you so you can reload?  I thought the rules said that wasn't allowed, but the ROs saw I was only signing in for two entries at a time and told me to sign in for all six with that setup.  That was fine--I had more than enough time to reload with one

Definitely going to do 15-25 yard groups at speed as soon as eyes accommodate.  I can do 15-25 yard groups pretty well with no time limit, but once I start to do anything faster than bullseye speed, I lose it.

I remain stubbornly and irrationally opposed to the cart, though.  The little red Radio Flyer doesn't fit with my tacticool self-image, which is of course more important than actually shooting well. 

#27 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

Cart with umbrella and stool are a absolute must have.

#28 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Literally...nobody...GAF about your cart/wagon.  

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#29 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

I believe they're called Walker.
81rDhAl7Z%2BL._SY355_.jpg

#30 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

I believe they're called Walker.81rDhAl7Z%2BL._SY355_.jpg

I saw a guy use one just like that.

#31 IceHole

IceHole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

I assume the basket was full of .45ACP?

• ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#32 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure, he had a bigger non mesh bag.

#33 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:22 AM

To hold the clips for the revo.

• ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#34 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:10 AM

As of last night, I've done 1500 reloads since Saturday.  Not competent yet, but there are glimmerings there.  Chasing speed is a red herring, I've learned; what I need to chase is consistency and correctness, and speed comes as a result of that.  Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

(I mean, not really.  Steady is smooth and slow is just slow.  But it has a certain applicability in the initial developmental stages.)

Grabbing the mag with my index finger extended along the length and "pointing" the mag into the gun, as Enos talks about in Practical Shooting, seems to be the most consistent method for me.  I've been experimenting with high reloads vs. low reloads and slightly lower seems to also improve consistency.

Sometimes I pause and look at pictures of magwells with unholy lust in my heart.

Also whenever I bungle a reload, I see Stegger standing there, staring at me, then slowly covering his eyes with his forearm in the international "I-can't-fucking-watch-this" gesture.  I assume that this is one of those "training scars" everyone talks about and I'm pretty sure it's never ever going to go away.

Carts will get you killed in the streets.  brb going on a ruck march and calling it firearm training.

Literally...nobody...GAF about your cart/wagon.  

At a GSSF match, or on Doodie?  At a GSSF match, sure, everyone is too busy trying to figure out how to unload and show clear.  On Doodie, by God, this is my log and I'll talk about my violent and irrational opposition to wheeled labor-saving devices if I so please!

(Still more entertaining and useful than my actual training.)

I believe they're called Walker.
81rDhAl7Z%2BL._SY355_.jpg

Can confirm.  There's even more of them at IDPA matches.

I'm not sure, he had a bigger non mesh bag.

This, on the other hand, was probably for the snacks.

#35 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Get one of these. It's what people use to get to work in Australia. If it's good enough for that it can tote you around a gssf match.

ESKY-49CC.jpg

#36 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Get one of these. It's what people use to get to work in Australia. If it's good enough for that it can tote you around a gssf match.

ESKY-49CC.jpg

All kidding aside I'd use this as my daily commuter. Where would I find such a thing.

#37 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

I had a lovely plan.  It was: shoot GSSF match as a pre-blindness baseline, be blind for three months, get really good at reloads, unfuck my GSSF skills, win a gun, set it up nice, and start making progress on the IDPA Expert/USPSA B class interim goal noted in my intro.

Apparently it has turned into: shoot two GSSF matches, one pre-blindness and one sorta blind, get eyes fried but go back to work the Monday after, find out that a local club is running an IDPA classifier in a little over two weeks, and determine experientially that the eyes are good enough to get dry-fire sight pictures.

Looking at this with a critical eye: My stage planning is a hot fucking mess.  My draws, trigger control,  target transitions, and close-range hosing are no longer so much.  My long-distance and SHO/WHO accuracy are kind of shitty, but only because I haven't been working them at anything other than bullseye speed; I think I can make them gooder enough to not fuck me in that period of time.  My reloads still suck but suck less by the day.  And my mental game is a big fat question mark.

The only thing there that would be certain to kill me is the stage planning, and guess what you don't have to do for the classifier?

So I revised my dry-fire training and I'm gonna run it until one of two things happens: some part of my body below the shoulder explodes or I shoot the classifier.  Ran this tonight.  It's fucking brutal.  Everything except the reloads has the standard two trigger pulls per target on the three-target classifier array, and is also 25 reps for each thing.  All yardage is simulated and uses slopometrics, because I was too lazy to get out the tape measure.

• Reloads, 125 correct reps (no sloppy ones.)
  • SHO draw, seven yards.
  • WHO 45-degree start, seven yards.
  • Turning draw, 10-12 yards.
  • From cover, 20 yards.
  • From low cover, 15ish yards.
  • Advancing from the 15ish-yard line.
  • Retreating from the 5ish-yard line.

(Also, it's finally happened: The dry-fire targets have escaped the dry-fire dojo and infiltrated the rest of the house.  Can't get a 20-foot sight line without putting them in the living room, and needed the linen closet to provide cover.  Fortunately dry-fire eats all the time I might otherwise use to build human relationships, so there's no one to complain.)

72 rounds in 103 seconds to make Expert.  Two weeks to practice.  Dunno if I can do this, but I'm gonna find out.  Worst case I fail miserably while having gotten a lot better at a lot of shit I need to get better at.  Or, possibly, wind up needing tendon surgery.  But I've needed tendon surgery elsewhere for years now and I seem to be doing fine without it, so I'm gonna go with my original worst case.

Anyone who voluntarily lives in a place where absolutely everything is trying to kill you is clearly more hardcore than me and my ammo ruck.

All kidding aside I'd use this as my daily commuter. Where would I find such a thing.

Here?

#38 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

Day #3 of the new... improved?  regimen is in the books.  I have a new post-dry-fire ritual now.  It's "take a handful of NSAIDs and weep."

Definitely making progress, though!  At least at dry-fire.  Carry-over to live fire is yet to be determined, but at least I can go attend the Dry-Fire Nationals in someone's basement.  Or at least, maybe, a dry-fire state championship?  One of the ones in a state that nobody cares about?

Notes to self!

• SHO/WHO: grip with your bottom three fingers, hard, and isolate that trigger finger like it's causing trouble in supermax.
  • Shooting from cover: KEEP YOUR GOD DAMN FEET ON THE GROUND AND LEAN, and also don't get close enough to buttfuck the cover, you don't have that kind of relationship.  
  • Turning draws: fun, relatively fast, so don't fuck it all up by waving your hand in front of your gat and/or breaking the 180 with a premature draw; instead, grab and wait and index the other hand to the stomach.  
  • Advancing: Figure out whatever you're doing to keep the sights from bobbing when you're retreating and try doing that when moving in the opposite direction.
  • Reloads: When you get into the unconscious competency state of mind that Bassham talks about, you don't suck at these.  Unfortunately, you suck at getting into that unconscious competency state.  Try to suck less.

Also, almost gave in and upgraded the sights, since I have to get some IDPA-legal mag pouches anyway and I can put the sights on the eventual actual competition gat.  So, of course, said sights were out of stock.  

Just confirms that I'm not good enough to have nice things yet!

#39 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

It may be that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others, because it's looking awfully like I'm going to give myself a tendon injury pushing hard towards a goal that a) I may not achieve, B) isn't even really all that impressive on an absolute scale, and c) has no actual meaning whatsoever.

Day #4: Get up, do half the dry-fire, go to work, weep softly at desk while searching Doodie for wrist tendonitis and trying various suggestions (expanding fingers against rubber band, lacrosse ball trigger point work, stretches), live-fire, come home, finish the other half of the dry-fire.

Both hands ache in the bad way from fingertips to mid-forearm.  Plus the right elbow.

Live-fire was okay.  Worked on being able to hit the A zone on command at 15 and 20 yards regardless of how long it takes, per my previous GSSF notes and in prep for Stage 3 of the classifier.  Read this post before I went and found that it was pretty accurate based on what the timer said: the crappy shots where I didn't see what I needed to see and the good shots where I did were pretty much the same speed, it was just a question of the mental discipline to execute.  Sometimes seeing what I needed to see was slower, but that was generally when I had a bad setup, and the same thing happened with just letting the shots go wild: a bad setup is a bad setup. 

Also, slide lock no longer does.  Should probably clean this thing someday, I guess.

#40 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

You need to stop the excessive dry fire and let yourself heal before you end up needing surgery. There are a couple members here with direct experience on the topic.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users