#41 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:55 AM

Dryfire enthusiasm is great. Until you end up getting elbow surgery. Twice. Have fun!!!

Seriously bro, 95% tear in your tendon is no joke.  If you think you're going to get epycondyl release surgery and just bounce back like you broke your wrist you're delusional. 18 months later and my left is only 85% and my right maybe 90.  Going to the gym requires a lot more attention to potential injury and there's no more excessive dry fire ever.

• GuanoLoco likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#42 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:56 PM

Haven't ripped anything yet, I think.  I'll take it.  Shhhh Doodie being useful is our filthy little secret: have been doing rubber-band finger expansions, stretching out my wrists, and mangling my forearms with a lacrosse ball with the religious fervor of the new convert, at least until the weekend hit.  Have I made any progress on the shooting part, the raison d'etre, vs. just not breaking myself into a thousand shimmering pieces of uselessness?  Dunno, but I guess not going backwards beats the alternative!

Made some poor life choices (to wit, actually showed up to my morning meeting instead of finishing dry-fire first) on Thursday which led to finishing dry-fire around 0300 Friday morning.  Due to this, wound up doing almost all of Friday's in one big chunk.  This hurt, but not as bad as it had been.  Maybe I can get a shooting jersey with the Advil logo on it, and also possibly that of my eventual inevitable surgeon?

Gave myself the evening off from dry-fire yesterday by doing it all in the morning, since I had plans.  This actually went well.  First day I haven't drugged myself into submission since I started this.  So today, of course, that didn't happen.

I mentioned that I've instituted a policy for my reloads wherein only good ones count.  I've also added that I have to end each set with a minimum of two good ones in a row.  This is helping a lot.  I keep switching back and forth between indexing with my index and indexing with my middle finger.  This doesn't help.  Also, I need to use my eyes more.  

The sports psychology is definitely part of it, because I've gone from one good one every three or four bad reps to 8-9 good ones in a row.  And then I notice that I've done almost ten good ones in a row and promptly fuck the next one up.  I'm working on reloads, theoretically, but I actually think the mental game stuff is more valuable than the reloads.  

Which doesn't mean that my reloads don't still suck, to be clear.

Also, ordered some sights.  And a sight tool.  And some IDPA-compliant mag pouches that won't come off my fucking belt WITH the mag, as my others did last match, causing my ignominious and stinging defeat at the hands of I Don't Practice I Just Shoot Matches Guy.  Not that I'm bitter and hungry enough to be willing to throw a little bit of money at this problem.  All of this should be here on Wednesday.  I already got screws, so if I use the inner belt I should have an IDPA-legal setup then again.

I can't really tell whether the skills I'm working are improving or not.  I think they are, but I'm deliberately not using the timer because it's going to make me cheat my sight pictures, and also because it's going to focus me too much on outcome vs. process.  I know what I need to unsuck.  I can feel when I unsuck it.  I'm validating the unsucking in live fire.  Occasional timer experiments also appear to show an improvement, but too much timer leads me to timer masturbation.

I've mostly realized that my only hope of making my goal is to shoot at the speed of my sights.

That may be fast enough or it may not.  I don't honestly know.  But I can't add any more practice to the current schedule without winding up in deep tendon-related shit, and thinking about the time, and the timer, and the amount of time I have for each stage, running the numbers and trying to dissect what's realistic for me in each string, is a red herring.  If I shoot at the speed of my sights, I can't go faster than that, because that is exactly how fast I can shoot right now--I will have an accurate representation of my current level of ability and the classification will fall where it does.  If I don't shoot at the speed of my sights, I'm just going to be a soup sandwich.

Now, let's see if this Zen bullshit makes it onto the range with me.

You need to stop the excessive dry fire and let yourself heal before you end up needing surgery. There are a couple members here with direct experience on the topic.

Seriously bro, 95% tear in your tendon is no joke.  If you think you're going to get epycondyl release surgery and just bounce back like you broke your wrist you're delusional. 18 months later and my left is only 85% and my right maybe 90.  Going to the gym requires a lot more attention to potential injury and there's no more excessive dry fire ever.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Having multiple members of Doodie warn you--correctly--that you're being a complete fucking self-destructive retard.  Also I love that a broken wrist is the minor, easily-resolved injury provided for comparison purposes.

(You're both right, for the record, and Vag's tale of suffering in particular inspired me to go hard on the stretching stuff and try to get the pain level down.)

#43 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

All kidding aside I'd use this as my daily commuter. Where would I find such a thing.

Google 'ride on cooler' that should do it. In Australia they have dealerships for them just like with cars.
  • ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#44 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Came up with something new and stickily gleefully horrible tonight, because I had the technical parts down but needed a boot in the ass on mental game.  For my last 25 reloads, instead of doing "only good ones count", I assigned good ones a value of +1 and bad ones a value of -1 and kept working until I got to 25.  I did set 0 as the lower threshold, rather than going negative, but I'll probably make going negative an option next time I do this, not that it would have made that much of a difference.

Gotta say, it sure helped focus!

Also tried a couple running reloads for shits and giggles and was pleasantly surprised to actually make them.  It's almost like this shit works.

• Peally and ralloway like this

#45 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

I liked the +1/-1 thing so much I did it for all 125 last night.  Yes, going into negative numbers was on the table.  Yes, at one point it took me 25 minutes of work to go from 50 reps to 60.  But as I was discussing with a colleague, sometimes you gotta make the team run sprints!

Tonight there was a metric fuckton of learning, and I haven't even finished dry-fire yet.

SIGHTS: They arrived!  As did my rear sight tool!  Whereupon I realized that I had absolutely no idea as to a) how to get the FO rod to stay (besides Superglue, which I was pretty sure wasn't right) and B) whether to go with the red or green.  So Google answered the first question and Doodie the second.  Took my shit apart, sighed at how filthy it was, decided not to clean it, and was promptly repaid by a jealous and angry god by not having a 3/16" socket wrench thin enough to actually get the job done.  Glock sight tool is coming tomorrow.  Thanks, Prime!

IDPA-LEGAL BELT SETUP: In place and ready for practice.  Made sure to actually mark where the holster goes on the real belt this time before removing it.  The Tek-Lok connectors for the mag pouches are actually pretty nice.  Also Loctited (the plastic-safe kind) the non-thumbscrew that kept working its way out.  Using the DAA velcro underbelt works pretty okay.

RELOADING ADVENTURES: Got a press some months ago, but hadn't had time to set it up.  Empirically verified the other day that my empty-mag reloading practice was mostly useless.  Threw some bullets into the mag pouch/sight tool order and picked up some brass last range trip, so tonight was Can We Make Dummy Rounds That Actually Chamber?  (They didn't need to chamber, I was just using them for weight, lead shot would have done as well, but that is not how we do, especially since this all needed to happen anyway.)  24 dummy rounds later, I'm not sure if I really, really like this or really, really want an Ammobot/Mark VII.  I guess I'll hold off on judging until I actually make something that goes bang.

RELOADS: Promised myself that I could have the night off from that if I made the dummy rounds.  Sticking to that, so it's just the rest of my dry-fire regimen, but did 10 or so with bullets-forward new mag pouches with the dummy rounds in them and was pleasantly surprised to find that perhaps all the practice was not *quite* useless.  Tomorrow I hit it hard, but I think after yesterday's fun the wrists will appreciate the slightly reduced schedule.

• ralloway likes this

#46 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

After four hours of sleep, I went to work for 14.  When I came home I really did not feel like dry-firing, at all, not even a little bit.  Irrelevant, of course, but I have to whine to somebody.  Thanks for being here for me, Doodie!

Did 125 reloads, but didn't play the +/- game.  Nailed almost all of them anyway.  I'm not moving that fast, but I'm getting consistent, and that's what I need right now.  The bullets-forward pouches plus the weight seems to have done something magic?  Or maybe it was the +/- game.  Or maybe a magic fairy came in the night and sprinkled "Don't Be A Total Fuckup" pixie dust on my weary head.  I don't give a fuck.

Also, I definitely did not have pain in everything below the shoulders all through dry-fire because I figured out a way to reduce the pain (wrist stretches, lacrosse ball massage, hand expansions, prophylactic anti-inflammatories) and then promptly got the pain down so far I stopped doing all these things, which caused all of it to come back with a vengeance plus 4th and 5th finger nerve impingement in the right hand.  Because only a complete fucking idiot would do that.  Um.  On a completely unrelated note, gonna do a lot of all of those things tomorrow.

Then I cleaned my gat and replaced my stock Glock night sights with the TTI Ultimates.  Green rod.

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.

Not a huge fan of the throwing money at toys to compensate for how shitty you are, but:

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.

It's like I was previously doing sight picture acquisition while standing on one foot gazing through cheap dime store sunglasses covered in Vaseline with an angry clown yodeling in my ear, and I didn't even know that it could be any other way.  "What?  This clown comes with me everywhere and my name is Hopalong Cassidy.  No, I won't clean my sunglasses, thank you, I think they're plenty clean."

I can't even.

#47 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

As will be a surprise to absolutely no one who has been following^Wreading^Wskimming along, things went off the rails.

Friday: Woke up in a fair bit of pain.  Didn't do as much of the auto-PT/unfucking stuff as I should have.  Didn't take as much Advil as I should have.  Did a live-fire session.  Bad things: I've been letting it slip because of my schedule, but it made it clear that, especially for the things I need to work on most right now, I need to go at least once a week.  Also did some 15-yard and 20-yard "aiming is not optional" work and coke-addled monkeyed it up.  Good things: Got sights adjusted better than I can shoot on the first try.  Also shot a G35 Gen 4 for the first time, made 1" slow-fire groups 3" right at 10 yards, and looked down at the sights to discover that, yes, once again, it was not in fact me.  (Not my gun.  Haven't won mine yet.)  Then went home and finished dry-fire, which was probably a mistake.

Saturday: Pain, Advil, dry-fire.  Cancelled my other plans for the day, went to the range.  Hot fucking mess.  Pretty sure that numbness and pain advanced to the point where they were actually impairing performance.  Nothing else makes sense.  My trigger control during anything but slow-fire is not great still, but I can generally hit what I'm aiming at slow-fire, and I couldn't.  Unfucking and more Advil.

Sunday: Slept for shit because pain, got up, went to other work, spent the day unfucking and eating Advil, went to range after.  Reduced coked-up spider-monkey by factor of at least 5, though it came back a little when the numbness did, confirming above theory.  Before that, did a decent job on Aiming Is Not Optional at 20 yards.  Played with a timer a bit towards the end of it and am still dog slow; 2.5-3 seconds for draw to first shot and 1.5-2 for the second.  That's not currently relevant, though; learning the discipline to shoot at the pace I can make my hits at, whatever that pace might be, is one of the two most important skills I need to burn in right now.  (The other is trigger control.)  Decided that dry-fire would do more harm than good given the injury situation.

Today: Range after work.  Gonna try and repeat/improve last night's performance on draws to two shots at 20 yards.  Doing lots of Advil and auto-PT before I go.

I've now either live-fired or dry-fired every day for three months.  Happy quarter-tendofuckiversary to me!  Do I finally get that bag of dicks I never got for my intro post?

#48 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

My prediction is that you quit before your next quasi anniversary because you either

A) Totally fuck yourself beyond repair or

Be) Never get a draw to alpha in under 2 seconds and rage quit

I hope all this is fun.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#49 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

You need to stop what you are doing and address the physical issues you are having. You mention pain at a level that is impacting sleep as well as numbness. These are not small things. You are potentially doing long term damage here.

#50 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

^^^^^ this
You can't effectively improve shooting with pain.

#51 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Live-fire in the books.  I am now moderately sick of the run-target-to-20-yards draw-sights-trigger-sights-trigger bring-back-target-because-who-just-had-eye-surgery-can-see-shit-for-holes-at-20-yards dance, but being sick of it seems to have helped, because I sucked even less today.  Accuracy-wise, at least.  Didn't even pull out the timer.  Wouldn't have helped.

Target carrier casualties due to above abuse: one.  Equipment more robust at this range than other range.  No, I did not shoot it.

It really is all in the grip and the setup.  Discovered that gripping "as hard as I can" is counterproductive now; useful cues are the counter tension one (strong hand pushing gun forward, weak hand countering tension) and "press trigger deliberately."  

Really didn't work on anything else except transitions, also at 20 yards.  This went poorly because not enough aim on the second target.  I need to cut that the fuck out.

My prediction is that you quit before your next quasi anniversary because you either

A) Totally fuck yourself beyond repair or

Be) Never get a draw to alpha in under 2 seconds and rage quit

I hope all this is fun.

A is a strong contender.  The rage quit part of B will not happen before the one-year mark, though it's entirely possible that the "never get a draw to alpha in under 2 seconds" part will.  

And yes, in all seriousness, this is fucking awesome.  All of it.  Including the parts that suck.  Sometimes because of the parts that suck.

You need to stop what you are doing and address the physical issues you are having. You mention pain at a level that is impacting sleep as well as numbness. These are not small things. You are potentially doing long term damage here.

^^^^^ this
You can't effectively improve shooting with pain.

Both of you are absolutely correct.  And I will take your advice!  After I take my best shot at making IDPA Expert this week.

(Considered the mental game in phrasing that.  Didn't say "after I make IDPA Expert" because that would be false confidence.  Didn't say "after I fail at making IDPA Expert" because that's also not going to serve me well.  Besides, what matters to me is not whether I make it or not, but whether I shoot as well as I can.  We will now end today's installment of Zen Bullshit.)

#52 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

TRIGGER WARNING (not the poster): raw whiny emo feels ahead.

Club match tonight.  Got a sound thrashing from I Don't Practice Guy.

It's good to know I can still hate myself this intensely.

Immediately after the match I would have said that I wasted the last three months because it made absolutely no difference to my shooting.  That's objectively wrong, much as it chaps my ass to admit.  My close-range hosing, accuracy at speed, shooting on the move, prop manipulation, and SHO/WHO speed are all much improved, and it shows in the results, though I'm still a turtle.

But I was trying for fewer than 10 points down, clean (in the sense of "no NSes, mikes, or procedurals"), seeing my sights on every shot, and staying calm, and I fucked up every one of those things.

• Fewer than ten points: Don't have the exact number, but IIRC dropped maybe four on one stage, one each on two others, and the -5 for the mike.  
  • Speaking of clean: One mike by 1" on a partial (into the hard cover) because I didn't fucking aim for the middle of the brown, I aimed for the -0, and I jerked it.  In the food court.  Oho.
  • Seeing sights: Improvement here, but definitely did some single-handed spray and pray on a stage with a prop.  It worked out for me (which, to be fair, it wouldn't have before), but I still didn't have the discipline I needed to shoot the match the way I wanted to shoot the match.
  • Staying calm: HR was in the 130s-140s when I was at the line ready to shoot.  Tried visualization, tried breathing exercises, tried a couple other mental tricks, couldn't get it down.  Fucked up my draw and shot poorly in places, including letting the SO distract me, as a result.

Maybe I'll take up needlepoint.  If I do, I'll be sure to craft a Bag of Dicks sampler for Doodie.

#53 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Snacks man!
Snacks are a great distraction from getting all amped up and jittery.

#54 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Snacks man!

Yeah you can munch on a bag of dicks

#55 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I was being serious, my cooler is bigger than my range bag.
  • ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#56 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Go research "calming response" and find something for when you are on deck.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#57 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:11 AM

I was being serious, my cooler is bigger than my range bag.

My fucking cooler load out was so big at the last match that when i tried to haul the cart up the hill it flipped backwards and sank faster than the Titanic.  As I watched all the snack flotsam roll down the hill toward the shooters coming up behind me, I heard the soft voice of Celine Dion singing, "My Heart Will Go On" but unlike Leonardo di Caprio I collected my shit, righted my ship and carried the fuck on.

• racetaco and ShootsLikeaDog like this

On injured reserve.

#58 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Do you have a heart condition?  Try some beta blockers  ;)

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#59 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

72 rounds in 103 seconds to make Expert.  Two weeks to practice.  Dunno if I can do this, but I'm gonna find out.  Worst case I fail miserably while having gotten a lot better at a lot of shit I need to get better at.

SURVEY AND ALSO TARGETS AND ALSO SAD HEADSHAKING OF SO SAYS: NO

I screwed the pooch so hard it was yelping and dragging its ass on the ground for a week.  In the noble tradition of Dave Barry, I feel obliged to inform all of you that I am Not Making Any Of The Following Up.

Drove an hour to the match (both a match and a classifier) and kitted up.  90+ degrees and humid when I first hopped out of the car, and it only got hotter.  Set up for another two and a half hours, a fair portion of which was spent swinging a hammer, which is not perhaps the best therapy for a repetitive stress injury.  Got voluntold to score, figure out the stage descriptions, and run the timer for the actual SO during his runs, which would have been easier if it hadn't been the first time I'd ever done it.  (Not a certified SO, typically just set up and paste/reset steel.)  Brought not quite enough water and not nearly enough food.  Match itself took around four or five hours.

Fast-forward to 1630.  I'm the second-to-last person to shoot the classifier, and it's finally my turn.  (The last was the MD.  He took over running it because the original SO was taking about 45 minutes a shooter.)  I'm downrange pasting for the previous shooter when he yells at me to load up.  I'm literally caked in salt from my own sweat.

I go to the 7-yard line.  I load up.  I take a deep breath, then another.  I invoke my mantra.  I Valsalva in the hopes of eliciting a parasympathetic response.  Doesn't do shit, though to be fair sinus tachycardia s/p dehydration and electrolyte imbalance doesn't typically respond well to parasympathetic stimulation.

Timer beeps.

First string of the IDPA classifier is draw, two to each body, reload, two to each head.  First six are fine.  But then my slide lock doesn't.

I gaze at my gat as though it are become pineapple.  Death pineapple.

"Did I misload?" I'm thinking.  "I checked like six times.  OTOH I did lose a mag in my cargo pocket earlier so who the fuck knows.  Wat is gat?  Wat is reload?  Wat is shoot?"

"GO GO GO!  You're empty, your slide just didn't lock!" yells the SO.  This outside diagnosis at high volume spurs me to action.  I finish the string in the year 2026.  But the SO, bless his heart, at 1630, after standing in the 95-degree sun all day, offers me a reshoot for being a complete fucking idiot. 

Fawningly, heart pounding, a hair's breadth away from shattering my chance on the very first string, I accept. 

I reload.  I approach the line.  I load the 12-round mag instead of the 6-round mag.  I catch it before we start and apologize profusely for continuing to be a complete fucking idiot while fixing it.

CUT TO:

INT. LAST IDPA CLASSIFIER - SOME MONTHS EARLIER

SHOOTSLIKEADOG (SLaD) and I DON'T PRACTICE I JUST GO TO MATCHES GUY (IDP...G) are squinting at a Bianchi barricade with a spreadsheet of the updated IDPA classifier times tacked to it, furiously doing math on their phones.  SLaD made this spreadsheet, and printed it, and brought it to the match, and also tacked it up, and does not really need to look, but does so for the look of the thing.  If SLaD applied the same level of effort to dry-fire as spreadsheets, some might theorize that this night might have gone differently, but later events will prove this theory incorrect.  If asked, our bumbling-yet-not-particularly lovable protagonist would stare at you blankly and go "Stegger who?  Is he one of LAV's friends?"  For now, though...

IDP...G
How'd you do?

SLaD

Missed Sharpshooter by four seconds, otherwise known as "that headshot I flinched."  What about you?

IDP...G

Oh, I made it by two!  Really pretty pleased with my shooting, even though you burned up that middle stage in comparison to me.  You smoked that! I was pretty worried!  Bad luck on that headshot, huh?

With unusual perspicacity, perhaps detecting the murder vibes in his vicinity, IDP...G wanders off.  SLaD remains in place, staring blankly into the middle distance, cheeks bright with rage.

SLaD

(mumbling)

Might be time to actually go to a class.

(beat)

Still not dry-firing, though.  Fuck that shit.

~ fin ~

Present day.  Timer beeps.  I draw and fire.  Two-two-two, reload, two-two-two.  Reholster.  Look at the targets.

I have not flinched one headshot this time.  I have flinched two. 

And just like that, by the end of my first string: there's always next time, right?

Now, someone with three functioning brain cells to rub together would take this as a sign to slow the fuck down, take a couple deep breaths, and stop shooting like a coked-up spider monkey.  I wish that person was me. 

SO, gazing at my target: "Your grip is really good.  All of this," he gestures to the Target Pox on the lower half of the -1 zone, "is trigger control.  You know that, right?"

Me: "Yep.  Happens every time I'm under pressure."

SO: "But you're only competing against yourself!"

In the end, I shot an Expert-level raw time with five seconds to spare... and dropped enough points through flinching (and, yes, it was pretty much 100% flinching--it was all dead fucking center in the middle of the target) to fail even to classify as Sharpshooter.

So I landed in Marksman.  Again.  By less than a second, this time.  Three solid months of daily dry-fire, to include self-inflicted nerve damage, and objective, statistically significant improvement of zero.

Doodie, that right there is comedy gold.

Now, with regards to all these posts, I just gotta say that every single one of you deserves warning points for helpfulness.  All y'all make me feel funny in my special place!

Snacks man!

This is a great idea, and now that I think about it I actually did this inadvertently at my last GSSF match and it totally helped.  I was munching all day.  Unfortunately, the indoor range frowns on snacks and I ran out around noon for the classifier.  I need to start prepping my snack loadout with the same mindset that I prep my ammo loadout.

NO I CANT I STILL HAVENT GOTTEN ONE

Go research "calming response" and find something for when you are on deck.

I was actually thinking about your posts on that topic while I was up at the line.  I tried your "I am calm, I am warm."  I need to think about it some more, though, because I really did not want to be any more warm, and I also assume I need to burn it in in other contexts before I try to use it under stress?

Do you have a heart condition?  Try some beta blockers  ;)

For me?  That'd definitely be a PED.  Though, to be fair, you generally have to win something before there's any possibility of a doping scandal.

#60 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

As promised, following my complete and utter failure to achieve anything (aka "last Wednesday"), I've walked back the training somewhat.  I'm back to 100 reps a day at least until the self-acquired tendon herp clears up, and I'm making it live-fire or dry-fire rather than both.  Still have some pain by the end of it, but it's on a downward trend.

I keep meaning to make it a dry-fire-level rule that I do a certain amount of PT, but I also keep not doing that.  Maybe tomorrow will be the day I get that shit on lockdown.  

I don't think it will be a surprise to anyone that I'm running Trigger Control at Speed almost exclusively right now.  Observations:

• I wasn't seeing much disturbance in the sight picture, but that was because I was gripping with my left hand in a way that compensated for moving my right.  This is wrong.  What I need to learn how to do is isolate my god damn booger hook.
  • Useful cue: "press the trigger straight back".  When I visualize this, it seems to be a master cue for everything else.
  • I think I'm starting to learn how to consistently lock in counter-pressure with my grip.
  • Finger should not drag on top or bottom of trigger guard, but kind of hang there in midair at the ready.
  • I don't actually know if any of this is right or not until I get to the bloody range and try it.

None of this is even close to automatic, or even consistent yet.  I think I'm getting a higher percentage of correct reps, but the trending is heavily dependent on pain and fatigue level. 

Pretty sure at this point that I did this to myself--the combination of altering my grip based on pain and technique drift from lack of live-fire burned in doin' it rong.  Which is not to say I ever had it right to begin with--I don't think I did--but I don't think I was quite this bad.  Either that or it's just showing up a lot more now because I'm faster, but the depressing truth of the matter is that I think I quite successfully actually trained in a jerk.

It is entirely possible that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

ETA: Oh, and remember that match where I decided I completely fucked it all up and psyched myself out for the classifier?  Got results.  Turns out I dropped nine points, within my goal, and finished comfortably in the top half.  So, yeah, someday mental game.  But first trigger control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users