#61 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

Do you even know what the fuck you're doing or are you making it up as you go along?  If you don't know what the fuck you're doing and are making it up all you're really doing is learning the wrong shit.  This is probably the only time you'll ever hear me recommend this, but you might consider taking a class with someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#62 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Never confuse extreme exuberence for actually having a plan.
  • Trigger Warning and ShootsLikeaDog like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#63 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Do you even know what the fuck you're doing or are you making it up as you go along?  If you don't know what the fuck you're doing and are making it up all you're really doing is learning the wrong shit.  This is probably the only time you'll ever hear me recommend this, but you might consider taking a class with someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

I'm an IDPA Marksman, it's pretty clear I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.  I did, however, take a class with someone who knows what the fuck he's doing.  This log is brought to you in part by that experience!

#64 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Were you paying attention?  I'm pretty sure the instructor doesn't over-train until maimed for life.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#65 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I'm an IDPA Marksman, it's pretty clear I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.  I did, however, take a class with someone who knows what the fuck he's doing.  This log is brought to you in part by that experience!

Maybe you should take another class.  I hear Steve Anderson puts on a pretty good show.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#66 AMNS

AMNS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationA4

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

You're working too hard to be where you are. Get a coach. You should be letting someone else make decisions for a while. Or end up blind and crippled.

Also unfuck your self image. It's entertaining but you need serious mental hardening.

#67 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Live-fire today, because life is about lessons and one of the lessons I learned last week is to make sure that the habits you're searing in are actually the correct ones!  Not a pleasant experience, but a useful one.

Couple nights ago, I upgraded the G21 to FO sights too, so I just started off checking the sight alignment.  About 30 rounds in, arm started hurting like a bitch, and I insta-went from 1" groups to 5".  It wasn't the sights.

Switched to the main gat and got a little work done.  My draw is pretty fast compared to my trigger control, but I'm making the mistake of running everything at one speed.  Fast draw = fast sight picture = fast trigger pull.  I've mentioned I'm bad at adjustability before, and that my splits tend to be the same no matter the distance of the target.  This doesn't work so good and I need to fix it, so I worked on breaking each component down: draw, sights on target, take the slack out of the trigger, confirm sight picture, press trigger.

When I did this, correctly, I went through a couple mags where I was getting a 2"-3" group (where I intended it to go, even!) at 15 yards. 

(You'd better be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  You know what log you're in.)

Then two fingers went numb and my trigger control went back to hell, from whence it came.  Starting to think these two things may be related, despite the fact that neither of the numb fingers was my actual trigger finger.  Can't decide whether to be happy or annoyed about that prospect.

Anyway, grimly, I hung on, trying to get something I could call a victory, because pedagogically it's best to end on a good note.  But then I drew and... noticed that my front sight was at a 30-degree angle?  So that was that.  And that's why you always a) bring your sight tools to the range and B) Loctite your front-sight screw.  

Were you paying attention?  I'm pretty sure the instructor doesn't over-train until maimed for life.

Yes, well, he has talent.

Maybe you should take another class.  I hear Steve Anderson puts on a pretty good show.

Dude, what has Steve Anderson ever done to you that you'd try to inflict me on him?  Fucked your mom?  Pissed in your Wheaties?  That's just not nice.

You're working too hard to be where you are. Get a coach. You should be letting someone else make decisions for a while. Or end up blind and crippled.

Also unfuck your self image. It's entertaining but you need serious mental hardening.

Brief serious moment, because I really do appreciate all the actual advice I'm getting.  Avert your eyes, Doodie!

First, my learning curve resembles a hockey stick: flat, flat, flat, flat, BOOM.  I have many data on this topic from other endeavors.  Thus, the trainwreck you're watching is pretty typical for the early stages of a new skill for me, though your point would be (and is, regardless) well-made for most. 

Second, the right kind of coach could absolutely accelerate this process, and might also keep me from making some of the more sketch choices I've made.  But to be blunt, at my current level of skill, I don't have much to offer the kind of person who would be the right kind of coach--for that kind of person, dynamic, and time investment, money by itself isn't typically enough--and, though I cheerfully admit that this begs the question, I have enough hubris to think I can do a better job on my own than with the wrong kind of coach.

Third, mental game definitely needs unfucking, but that's only tenuously correlated with how I write here.  No, I'm not playing the "ONLY TROLLIN" card; everything I post here is true, but also spun to entertain.  Me posting on Doodie is like a kid who's been playing Little League for two seasons getting advice from Bryce Harper; there's a shocking quantity of talent here, and being entertaining increases the likelihood that the talent will wander in and drop some knowledge bombs.

itsatrap.jpg

#68 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

So your ring and little finger went numb?

#69 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

So your ring and little finger went numb?

Yeah, it's being caused by ulnar nerve compression, probably through Guyon's tunnel at the wrist.  So... exciting?  Yes!  Exciting!  We'll go with that!

#70 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

You really should figure out what specific thing is causing that and stop doing that thing.
  • ToddKS and ShootsLikeaDog like this

#71 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

First thing you can do is STFU about the "mental game".

Newsflash: You suck because you're slow and can't hit the targets, not due to some perceived deficiency in your "mental game".

#72 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

First thing you can do is STFU about the "mental game".

Newsflash: You suck because you're slow and can't hit the targets, not due to some perceived deficiency in your "mental game".

This is an interesting post, because I've seen you tell people not to say their shooting sucks since it contributes to negative self-image.

Is your advice different here because my posts come across as ducking responsibility for my deficiencies in the fundamentals?

#73 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:01 AM

This is an interesting post, because I've seen you tell people not to say their shooting sucks since it contributes to negative self-image.

Is your advice different here because my posts come across as ducking responsibility for my deficiencies in the fundamentals?

Yes

#74 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

Yes

Got it.  Will do.  Thank you.

• Sweet T likes this

#75 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Just accept mediocrity and call it your hobby.  No shame in that.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#76 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

Just accept mediocrity and call it your hobby. No shame in that.

Works for me and I'm cool with it
  • ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#77 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Been doing a lot of thinking lately about Vag's question upthread ("Do you even know what the fuck you're doing or are you making it up as you go along?") combined with Sweet T's Pimp Hand of Truth ("You suck because you're slow and can't hit the targets".)

Because I thought I did, but I clearly don't, and I need to figure out where I went off the rails with skill development to get back on track.  I put in some work over the last three months, and I should have something to show for it besides nerve damage, but I don't.

What I've concluded is something I already knew: practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

I thought I was being honest with myself about my trigger pull, my grip, and my sight pictures.  I wasn't.  And I didn't live-fire enough to serve as a check on that.  Now I have a hot fucking mess on my hands, made worse by the fact that even a broken clock is right twice a day: sometimes my hand lands just right, sometimes my grip builds correctly from that, and sometimes I actually hit the fucking target right where I meant to.  But that's not actual skill, that's luck.  

Or, to put it another way: Amateurs practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.  You are only as good as you are today.

Stegger mentions this in PPR: just because you get lucky and it works for you once doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.  I read that and rolled my eyes.  "What kind of idiot would do that?"  I'm not a teacher, but I've taught a couple different things professionally, and I've seen the kind of magical thinking that leads to that.  I'd never be that stupid!  And then I was that stupid.

I suck because I'm slow and I can't hit the targets.  I suck despite my practice because I'm not good enough to know when I'm practicing right and I didn't do the thing (live-fire) that would have shown me that I needed to try something else.

So, let's try something else.

For the last couple days, I've been working a very simple drill in dry-fire.  Ten-ish yards, draw, sight picture, trigger press.  Executed with no time pressure, but with as little suck as possible.  To wit: Hand lands in the exact same place every time on the backstrap.  Support hand squeezes, strong hand grips as well but not as hard as possible, because trigger finger isolation.  Sights settle into the notch and stabilize.  Trigger is pressed deliberately and forcefully and pinned before a conscious release.

Took it to live-fire today.  At 15 yards, cleaned it with a minimum of effort.  Was in the 80% correct reps zone at 20, with the occasional clean string of 10 and occasional back-alley abortion.  I won't speculate about why the abortions happened, because I know why: I suck and I can't hit the target.

Consciously focused on decoupling the speed of the trigger press from the speed of the draw, on seeing clean sight pictures before pulling the trigger every single time, and on calling my shots.

Confession: I've been the turtle that has been last with almost no points down, and I don't want to be that person anymore.  It's fun to actually run a stage, vs. inching through it.  But I've let that external factor prevent me from focusing what I actually need to focus on, which is building in the mechanics of accuracy at any kind of speed.  I assumed some of my slow-fire accuracy would carry over, but my experience seems to be that it does not.  Possibly this is just because I'm especially retarded, but, again, "why" doesn't matter.  "Is" matters.

Anyway, noticed a definite degradation in performance once the numbness kicked in, but got my shit together and mostly figured out how to fix it.  

Which brings me to my other project: unfucking the arm.  Doing a course of anti-inflammatories, started treating the stretching stuff as a must-do rather than an ehhh-maybe-tomorrow thing, and had a sports massage therapist beat on it.  Her comments included: "This actually feels janky as I'm working on it," "Damn, your forearm is as tight as mine," "Ooh, that's grinding!" and "Most people really hate this part, but I like that you like it!"  I think she was impressed at how badly I'd managed to fuck myself up, which is not atypical.  

This change in perspective brought to you by Probably Giving Yourself Injuries And Then Ignoring Them Is Another Reason You Suck And You Should Cut It Right The Fuck Out.

Finally, discovered that not only the front sight came loose the other day at the range, the rear sight did too.  Torqued the fuck out of all that shit today, shot it to make sure it was aligned, and am spreading Loctite on everything tomorrow as soon as I decide whether to be a pussy and use blue, or overly confident and use red.  Leaning towards pussy.

Just accept mediocrity and call it your hobby.  No shame in that.

First, mediocrity is several steps up from where I am now.  Second, uh, this is how I hobby.

I have a buddy who was once so sick he drove into work with IV fluids running on himself.  He hung the bag from his rear-view mirror and tried not to get pulled over.  I've done shit that was even dumber than that.

• Sweet T likes this

#78 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

I'm not sure what part on the sights you plan to Loctite, but if you degrease it first, blue will usually be fine.

• peterthefish likes this

#79 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

http://forums.briane...comment=2765924

Fix your arms first. Shooting second.

Notice how this log stops? Because I stopped updating it once I began honestly living 100% pain free, which only took about 6-8 weeks.

I haven't done dryfire in two months, but still do those exercises. I currently shoot better than I did with lots of dryfire and elbow/wrist/tingling symptoms.

You can't grip hard and shoot well with stabbing pain in your elbow. Stop trying.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#80 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

You are taking the goal of begin a self-destructve fuck-tard to entirely new levels.

I will channel Ben: "That is really ghey and you should stop doing that."

In Doodie, Veritas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users