104 replies to this topic

#101 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

That feeling when you shoot the IDPA classifier and the number you hear is 0.08 seconds too high. (Also missed GSSF Master by 3.1 seconds, but whevs.)
  • el.kuglov1953 likes this

#102 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

That classifier time above was a crazy good run for me.  Everything went right.  I didn't shit the bed on trigger control or forgetting to aim or shooting at a glacial pace while trying to avoid the first two things.

The time above represents the limits of my current ability.

This is good and bad.

It's good because I'm very close.  It's good because I performed to the best of my ability.  It's good because it was good enough to get me my first-ever match win.

It's bad because my very best run isn't good enough.

So now I have to work on actually getting better at shooting, instead of just being able to work on not flipping my shit.

My stage three is fine; everything else sucks.  (Also apparently there's a strong probability that my slide lock doesn't because my magazine springs suck?  Guess a visit to the armorer at my next GSSF match is in order, because my slide lock so doing would help a lot.)

Of the first two stages, my SOTM is fine for where I'm at, but my SHO/WHO and turning draw is killing me.  Gotta fix that shit.

Spent some time working turning draw to first shot tonight.  This was the first time I ever really felt how much faster it is to stay loose, and managed to implement it.  That was pretty cool.

Revising the Expert goal to 31 Dec 2017.

As may have been clear from my other threads, I made one of my goals--the one about winning a hunk of perfection in GSSF.  But I didn't talk about it much because of this joke:

Two hikers are walking a trail when a bear appears.  It's angry and hungry and has a lot of teeth.  Quickly, one man sits down on a hunk of rock and starts lacing up his running shoes.  His friend stares at him.  "Are you crazy?  You can't outrun a bear!"  Tying his final knot, the first man replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

Anyway, the times at this particular GSSF match were such that no one could be said to be running, or even speed-walking.  It went down more like this: I was hopping, but everyone else was rolling from place to place.  Which, though to be clear I'm still going to take the certificates, felt kind of like cheating.  So I quietly adjusted my goal to becoming a GSSF Master before 31 Dec 2017.

I need one more gun win to do that, and I have one more chance.  My times are where I need to be when I don't flip my shit; last match, I had my first sub-17 time on the plate rack.  My scores have been improving accordingly.  I am typically finishing top five amateurs, sometimes in the money, and it is not unheard of to get top ten overall.

Finally, the same week I fucked up the previous attempt at the classifier, I shot my usual local and cracked the top ten for the first time, to include beating I Don't Practice I Just Shoot Matches Guy.  It was interesting because I focused on shooting the center of the target and not dragging ass on movement, but assumed I'd totally screwed the pooch because it felt crazy slow.

So that was nice.

#103 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

For a couple days now, I've been practicing turning draws, obsessively, with the fervor of the converted and the condemned.

Thanks to my grip tape, I now have bloody raw flesh on both hands.  It's glorious.

The timer has taught me that it is much faster to work with economy of motion than to feel like I'm going fast.  I inevitably overtransition or wind up off balance.  My reaction time to the beep (did a bit of the slap-the-timer drill) is around 0.4 sec, and I've been keeping my par time for the whole drill (ending at a trigger press at 10 yards) around two seconds.  And that's more than enough time to do it right the first time, but not enough time to fix it when I fuck it up.

#104 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Last chance at GSSF Master is in the books. Results aren't up yet, but I didn't make it. Shit the bed at least once in every division. Thought about stopping on the way back to the hotel and throwing my hunks of perfection into the swamp, but was too depressed to get them out of the trunk. It was mostly my old friend Complete Lack of Focus and Mental Discipline, with a side of Thinking About Results Not Shooting The Center of Each Target As Quickly As You Can. That said, I've been working transition speed in dry-fire without sufficient corresponding live fire and I've trained myself to accept a sight picture that is not good enough. I've also upped my dry-fire volume to 150 reps and have been doing a shitton of draws, so my old friends Stabbing Elbow Pain and Numb Fingers came to visit me when I still had most of my plate rack strings to shoot, which killed my times. Lessons to take away from this: We live-fire drills at least once a week. We go back to doing PT. And, most importantly, we focus on shooting when we're shooting.

#105 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

Last chance at GSSF Master is in the books. Results aren't up yet, but I didn't make it. 

So, uh, possibly I was wrong about this.

Still not happy with how I shot... but I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users