#121 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

Do you have to shoot major in ESP? If not why not load some sub major stuff, from what I've heard 140 PF with 180's runs pretty well.

Because can't load ammo yet. I see another thread coming.....

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#122 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

He will blow his face off!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#123 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

OK, here's the fucking hot take, because I want to remember how this feels.

I didn't make it, because:

Newsflash: You suck because you're slow and can't hit the targets

Seven seconds.  Two of those were because my mags didn't drop.  Twice.  So I stood there with the gat in my hand and the other load right in position literally fucking shaking the fucking gat to get the fucking mag to drop, and that cost me at least a second apiece.  I wasn't even doing the full-metal retard thing where I tilt it; this was straight up and down.

But that doesn't matter.  Because that wasn't why I failed.  Again.  As usual. 

I failed because I'm still not fucking good enough.  Because I still didn't shoot it clean.  Because I still shot it too slow.  Because I still lost focus on the last stage and dropped too many points because I spazzed twice on trigger control.  Because I suck.  Because I'm slow and can't hit the targets.  Still.  Five months later.

On the way home I listened to Stegger's segment on the Shooter's Summit.  Two things really stuck out to me:

"Some people come to my class and then quit shooting."

This is a fantastic fucking idea.  I endorse it strongly and wish I had done it.  Which is the exact reason I committed to a year.

"If you're even a little bit smart, and if you dry-fire 20 or 25 minutes most days and live-fire every week or two, within a year you'll be in the top ten percent of your local match.  I don't care where you are."

I was 2/3rds of the way to a year on Saturday, I am and have been doing more than this, and I am nowhere fucking near this.  So I can look at it one of two ways.  Either I have just such an astonishing lack of any natural talent whatsoever that I can prove Stegger wrong, or I'm practicing stupid and wrong.  Right now I'm pretty sure it's the former but I'm gonna go with the latter because talent isn't something I can control and the idea of spending four more months dry-firing without any hope whatsoever sounds even more depressing and pointless than the alternative.

So I need to figure out how the fuck I'm training so stupid and fix it, because it isn't lack of effort and it isn't lack of raw brains.

Do you have to shoot major in ESP? If not why not load some sub major stuff, from what I've heard 140 PF with 180's runs pretty well.

This is a brilliant idea, and no, you do not need major in ESP.  But I was without the means or materiel, as my .40 shellplate was waiting for me when I got home from the match.  Not that it would have helped.

Because can't load ammo yet. I see another thread coming.....

Correct to the first.  To the latter, I've decided based on the last thread that detonation is probably not a thing, so I think even I can figure out how to put less powder in and chrono.  Right after I figure out how to feed myself.

He will blow his face off!

No, I'm not that lucky.

• MEISTERB likes this

#124 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

On the way home I listened to Stegger's segment on the Shooter's Summit. Two things really stuck out to me:

"Some people come to my class and then quit shooting."

Stick with it man. I felt like doing that after my class with Stoeger last week. Fucking fire sale everything I thought as I was demoralized with my suckitude.

Take a week off, do something other than shooting and stop thinking about shooting.

It’s helped me and I’m all geared up for 2018 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#125 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Ever think your problem might be Glock related? Or IDPA related? Maybe try a hopped up CZ or Tanfo in a USPSA match and see how you do. It's no secret that I've had a hate hate relationship with Glock for years and wouldn't consider EVER shooting one in a match again. They don't fit my eye, my grip, my finger or my ego. They're a fucking blunt instrument. Sure, Gabe White and Todd Kennedy can shoot them at a GMish level but for a lot of guys they're like smoking weed on the way to a proper crack addiction.
  • racetaco likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#126 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

^this^
I don't believe Glocks are ideal for anything but poorly trained police officers that don't ever shoot. I shoot just about anything better.

#127 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

If you can't shoot a Glock you can't shoot.

Don't blame perfection for your inadequacies.  

#128 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

If you can't shoot a Glock you can't shoot.

Don't blame perfection for your inadequacies.  

Google "Glock shoots" and see what comes up....  Fucking garbage.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#129 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

I think Sweet T is living proof that some (obviously not you) can shoot a Glock with success. 

That said, I lose about 10% in relative scored shooting my carry Glock 19 vs. Tanfo Stock 2.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#130 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

I think Sweet T is living proof that some (obviously not you) can shoot a Glock with success. 

That said, I lose about 10% in relative scored shooting my carry Glock 19 vs. Tanfo Stock 2.

Well, it is a compact frame and a short sight radius, so that's to be expected.

I would expect a similar drop if I shot my carry 19 in production compared to the 34.

#131 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

After the debacle elucidated in my last post, I decided to ban myself from posting on Doodie until one of two things happened:

1. I figured my shit out and made Expert.
  2. I arrived at the one-year mark.

"You're doing literally everything wrong" was exactly one year ago today.

potentialdemotivator.jpeg?v=1414017238

I'm actually not really all that accustomed to being fucking awful at things, so this has been a learning experience.

Stick with it man. I felt like doing that after my class with Stoeger last week. Fucking fire sale everything I thought as I was demoralized with my suckitude.

Take a week off, do something other than shooting and stop thinking about shooting.

This was probably excellent advice, but CANT STOP WONT STOP

(until the one-year mark)

Ever think your problem might be Glock related? Or IDPA related? Maybe try a hopped up CZ or Tanfo in a USPSA match and see how you do. It's no secret that I've had a hate hate relationship with Glock for years and wouldn't consider EVER shooting one in a match again. They don't fit my eye, my grip, my finger or my ego. They're a fucking blunt instrument. Sure, Gabe White and Todd Kennedy can shoot them at a GMish level but for a lot of guys they're like smoking weed on the way to a proper crack addiction.

To address IDPA vs. USPSA first: I'm just functionally last in IDPA (just in front of the 147 yos and the girls), whereas I am actually last in USPSA.  I am neither fast nor accurate, but I am marginally more accurate than I am fast.

As for the plastic fantastic, no, to be clear, I hate my swamp gun (so named because of my burning desire to pitch it into the swamp after coming back from Talladega.)  I loathe it.  If it had children I would trap them in a burning chicken coop and cackle wildly as it screams in horror, Snidely-Whiplash-style.  And when I quit this sport forever, I am going to pitch it into the swamp unless I can come up with something even more satisfying, because I've bled on that thing way too much to sell it now.

But I'm still pretty sure that my complete inability to consistently grip the gun and pull the trigger straight back at speed would follow me to a different platform.

The tl;dr of how it went is up there in the .gif.  The Slightly Longer Summary of where I went wrong is this:

I didn't know enough to be honest in my dry-fire.  I didn't live-fire enough to show me when I was going off the rails. I didn't take enough responsibility for every shot when I did live-fire.  And I didn't put enough mental energy into my training for it to be effective.

As GuanoLoco said a few pages back, never confuse exuberance with having a plan.

But I shot a Texas Star for the first time ever today and went one-for-one on it my second or third try.  I was in the top ten at my local last time I went to it.  I ran the plates with a sub-16 time at my last GSSF match.  And I curbstomped I Don't Practice I Just Shoot Matches Guy at the Level 2 we did a couple months ago.

So.

• ralloway and MEISTERB like this

#132 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

"You don't get better just by doing "reps."  Sure, you need repetition in order to improve, but shooting is about more than that.  This is a "thinking" game.  You need to invest actual mental energy in your training.  You need to be involved and engaged in your training.  You need to pay attention.  Going through the motions will not get you where you want to go." -- Skills and Drills: Reloaded

And done.

I haven't decided yet whether the juice is worth the squeeze, but my training (the productive parts, at least) looks completely different from how it did on 17 April 2017, when I stood, sweaty and sunburnt, in a hotel room in North Carolina grimly, angrily practicing three-second draws from my tacticool Timmy retention holster.  

If I decide to re-up and take another run at this, I already have the rough outline of what it will look like, and the only thing it will have in common is some consistency of practice.  I really was doing pretty much everything wrong.  Not sure if I will or not; I thought I'd be better than I am by now, but then, I also I thought I was better than I was.

On the one hand, I'd like to see how far I could have gotten in a year with what I know now.  On the other hand, I suppose I still could, but the catch-22 of it is that I wouldn't have done it that way if I did know.  Sometimes you need to do it the wrong way to appreciate it when you hit the right one.  Other times, people tell themselves that to make themselves feel better about the time they've wasted!

Right now, though, I'm going to enjoy Never Ever Ever Ever Ever Ever Ever dry-firing again!  And if sometimes the reason to bang your head against the wall is how good it feels when you stop, the next few weeks are basically going to be one epic, extended nut. 

... in the food court.

#133 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Oh, and I think I deserve some gleefully caustic Doodieisms for following through on a year of daily practice executed so poorly I didn't even really suck less, so you people should feel free to weigh in on the quit-forever topic.  I'd make an actual poll but that sounds too much like work.  

(To be clear I'm going to continue doing exactly whatever the fuck the voices in my head tell me to do, but it'll make me giggle.  All you howler monkeys are currently bored enough to be reading this anyway, so it's a win-win.)

#134 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

The only person with the "right" answer here is you, but I think you're already aware of that. 

Take some time off and, in a few weeks, decide where you want to go with this. Maybe you'll want to hang it up, or maybe just shoot for funsies, or maybe you'll want to go all-in. Who the fuck knows. I can only relate to the last option, but - ultimately - shooting is fun. There's nothing wrong with returning to those roots.

Unless you're looking for a Doodie answer, then:  Get your ass back to dryfire, peasant. And eat a bag of dicks.

• ShootsLikeaDog likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#135 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

To borrow wisdom from Alcoholics Anonymous, sometimes you have to "surrender to win".  

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#136 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Give Steel Challenge a try, it’s super fun.

#137 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Today I shot my first match since quitting dry-fire 4eva.  Went to the range three times in the interim. 

I think I'm starting to miss it.

Four stages.  Two and three went pretty okay, one (the first) spooked me with the !! ZOMG MASSIVE RECOIL !! of the .40 cal Glockicorn, and four was a soup sandwich because it's bad to practice seating mags in a magwell with USPSA-legal extended basepads and then switch to using factory 'pads in a match  But I had fun.  Mostly.  Kind of.  More when I sucked less.

On the range trips, I shot a lot of dots and steel and marveled at the intra-session improvement yield made possible just by paying a bit of attention.  Also at the progress attainable by actually looking at my sights and running the shortest possible drill to fix a given problem instead of angrily, repeatedly running stages and yelling at myself to SUCK LESS.  

"Teach the dog who showed up today."  -- Sue Ailsby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users