42 replies to this topic

#1 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

HORRIBLY slow getting set up for first rifle shot at ~325 yds , still good enough for a overall stage win, but wow that looks slow :wacko:

• DanielKr likes this

#2 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Who fucking cares.  

Still gay.  

And dumb.

isn't there a "3 Gun Homo Project" forum you can post this stupid shit in?

• peterthefish and Stranger Danger like this

#3 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

I like his videos, they validate me and my choice of USPSA over 3-Gun.  The self righteous fire inside keeps me warm.

Those rifle shots looked awkward as shit.

Three guns on the same stage and time plus scoring is still stupid as fuck.

#4 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

LOL , I knew this would twist some  "level playing field" panties.  

"How can it be FAIR, if the range isn't,

perfectly flat,

smooth , high traction surface,

ambient light must equal xxx lumens for all competitors at all times

nobody has to move more than 2.65 steps,

can't require anything that might make a 'non gender specified' person bend over, stand straight, or assume any other uncomfortable body position, 

3 gun is like pistol competition - only for Men.

:D

• peterthefish likes this

#5 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

3 gun is like pistol competition - only for Men Who Love Other Men.

:D

Tell the whole truth, Nancy.

• Stranger Danger likes this

#6 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Tell the whole truth, Nancy.

LOL, your comment and your avatar.

#7 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I just want to know WTF was that third gun?

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#8 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

LOL , I knew this would twist some  "level playing field" panties.  

No panties were twisted in the making of this post.

I like all three guns in 3 gun.  I just don't want them all smashed together on the same stage with time plus scoring as a half assed attempt to keep things moving along.

#9 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Once USPSA cranks up pistol caliber shotgun that 3 gun shit is dead.
  • Perfecto, Doc, ToddKS and 3 others like this

#10 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Once USPSA cranks up pistol caliber shotgun that 3 gun shit is dead.

How hard is it to reload 9mm shotshells. Does MBF make a conversion set for that?

#11 beerbaron

beerbaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

No panties were twisted in the making of this post.

I like all three guns in 3 gun. I just don't want them all smashed together on the same stage with time plus scoring as a half assed attempt to keep things moving along.

I'm inclined to agree.

#12 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

Things I don't want to ever do:

1. shoot in that horrific mud
  2. shoot 3 gun
  3. pretend that 3 gun is difficult
  4. reload a shotgun on the clock
  5. pretend to care about 3 gun at all
  6. pretend that time-plus is in any way a good test of accuracy

• SlivGod and racetaco like this

#13 3gundago

3gundago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Things I don't want to ever do:

1. shoot in that horrific mud
  2. shoot 3 gun
  3. pretend that 3 gun is difficult
  4. reload a shotgun on the clock
  5. pretend to care about 3 gun at all
  6. pretend that time-plus is in any way a good test of accuracy

ok, young gun.  you have to join me for a match in albany-i'll furnish all the shit you need.  but let's wait till december so you can lay in the mud at the archery range trying to shoot at 410 yds up that hill.

#14 DD78

DD78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

I could never understand all of the hate from USPSA shooters against 3 gun.  I hear bellyaching from the local USPSA shooters about it as well.  

I personally shoot both so I don't really give a shit because they're both a lot of fun.  IDPA is still gay though.  

Both sports are very similar in how you plan your stages, except in 3 gun you're doing one plan for each gun you're going to shoot.  

There is slightly less focus on accuracy in 3 gun when shooting paper, however there are a whole bunch of tiny ass steel targets to contend with.  There's nothing like shooting at a 3" steel circle 20 yards away with a pistol.  

In USPSA, you have to master a handgun, whereas with 3 gun, if you're halfway decent with a pistol and rifle, shotgun is what separates you from the rest of the pack.  If you can load and shoot a shotgun quickly, you have an advantage.  

Same fundamentals though.....hit positions and shoot quickly, leave positions quickly, shoot some shit on the move, and get'r done.  I'm actually surprised that more USPSA shooters don't shoot 3 gun.  Most of the skills that make someone fast in USPSA would make them fast in 3 gun.  Just learn how to quad load the shotgun and you're good to go.  

There are some negatives to 3 gun like it being more expensive (equipment and ammo), more of a hassle while you're shooting it having to load up your shotgun caddies and deal with 3 guns, and there tends to be more "sponsored" jersey wearing shooters who suck.  

I unfortunately live in an area where there aren't a whole lot of USPSA matches, and on the weekends where there aren't any, there are 3 gun matches so you tend to take advantage of the opportunity to get out and shoot.  There are some USPSA matches that are 2+ hour drives from where I live, but if there's a 3 gun match an hour away, I'll choose that instead.  

• toothandnail likes this

#15 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Because it's aimed very heavily at the "I don't really like to practice or focus, but I have disposable income and like to shoot" ADHD style of competition. I'm also fairly lucky at the USPSA matches I shoot at but 3 gun typically has some of the most uninspired stages I've ever seen. They also have an ongoing problem with gimmicks and competitive inequity style stages (vehicles driven by ROs, wacky stage weapons, etc).

Also shotguns are a hyper niche uninteresting hunting and (very limited) tactical tool. They really do bore me to tears regardless, but basing an entire match on whether someone can reload a firearm in an unpractical way it was never designed for is pretty lame.

Also, zero standardized rulesets or a national organization that doesn't suck. 3GN is good at advertising but they also leave a lot to be desired in other departments. USPSA has their rules, 3GN has their rules, hell even Wisconsin has its own rules. It's obnoxious at best.

You touched on the shitload of awkward equipment bit already.

I could honestly go on and on. I don't hate people that enjoy it, but given a choice between having a free weekend and shooting a multigun match I'd choose the former. I'm not trying to shit on you at all, just mentioning a few reasons a lot of us don't shoot it. In my eyes it's much more entertainment based and less of a refined competition, which is probably why it is successful. I think shooting a dedicated rifle (AR-15 or PCC or whatever) in a USPSA match would be fun (like Leograndis does), but that's a lot different IMO. I also like using pistols as they're common in my day to day life, and rifles and shotguns are largely a "for funsies" type firearm I don't really use too often.

As far as honest hate that's just the internet's way.

• DD78 likes this

#16 DD78

DD78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Because it's aimed very heavily at the "I don't really like to practice or focus, but I have disposable income and like to shoot" ADHD style of competition. I'm also fairly lucky at the USPSA matches I shoot at but 3 gun typically has some of the most uninspired stages I've ever seen. They also have an ongoing problem with gimmicks and competitive inequity style stages (vehicles driven by ROs, wacky stage weapons, etc).

Also shotguns are a hyper niche uninteresting hunting and (very limited) tactical tool. They really do bore me to tears regardless, but basing an entire match on whether someone can reload a firearm in an unpractical way it was never designed for is pretty lame.

Also, zero standardized rulesets or a national organization that doesn't suck. 3GN is good at advertising but they also leave a lot to be desired in other departments. USPSA has their rules, 3GN has their rules, hell even Wisconsin has its own rules. It's obnoxious at best.

You touched on the shitload of awkward equipment bit already.

I could honestly go on and on. I don't hate people that enjoy it, but given a choice between having a free weekend and shooting a multigun match I'd choose the former. I'm not trying to shit on you at all, just mentioning a few reasons a lot of us don't shoot it. In my eyes it's much more entertainment based and less of a refined competition, which is probably why it is successful. I think shooting a dedicated rifle (AR-15 or PCC or whatever) in a USPSA match would be fun (like Leograndis does), but that's a lot different IMO. I also like using pistols as they're common in my day to day life, and rifles and shotguns are largely a "for funsies" type firearm I don't really use too often.

As far as honest hate that's just the internet's way.

I'll freely admit that at least half of the field at the 3 gun local matches I go to don't practice.  Like at all.  But it's the same for the local USPSA matches in that half of the field is in that same boat.  Last year was my first year shooting competitively, and midway through the summer I was beating people that have been shooting both sports a hell of a lot longer than I've been shooting guns period, which has been quite a long time.  I practiced a little both at my club and doing dry fire at home, and I quickly improved.  That just proves to me that people generally don't practice.  It shows in shotgun predominantly.  If you can't load at least two, preferable 4 at once, you will not even come close to placing well at the match.  You have a great point on shotgun loading in that it's really a limited use case type of skill.  Same goes for the open shooters.  I hear a lot of people complain at 3 gun matches where there's a lot of shotgun loading.  Quad loading a shotgun isn't all that hard though.  I learned how to do it fairly well in about 30 minutes, and with a little practice you can do it fairly quickly.  

I can see that some match directors for 3 gun put on boring matches.  For whatever reason the matches I've gone to have been fairly intricate and interesting.  The worst types of matches are the ones where there's only one way to shoot the stage.  I've shot a couple of stages designed that way.....they're boring.  

The many different sets of rules are annoying though, on that I will agree.  3GN seems to have done their best to make the sport appealing and try to get everyone on the same rule set, as has USPSA multi-gun.  The sport really needs a USPSA type organization to take the sport by the shorthairs and get adoption.  I know that at my club, we were a 3GN affiliated club, but for whatever reason they decided to stop being affiliated.  I suspect that it must have been a pain in the ass for the club to maintain the relationship.  3GN did have the right idea though with the format (avoiding human shaped targets) while making the stages appealing to non shooters from a spectator's perspective.  I envisioned it as being perfect for ESPN type of coverage, but given the political ideology of ESPN (at least as of late), that stands about as much chance of happening as me being knighted.  

PCC seems like fun, and maybe I'll get into that at some point, but when I shoot USPSA, I like to shoot pistol since that's really the hardest of the 3 guns to shoot consistently well.  Anyone can pick up a long gun and shoot it halfway decent without any practice, but the same cannot be said of pistol.  I didn't shoot at all over the winter, and my first time out practicing was a bit rough.  It came back quick though after a few practice sessions.  

I just view both sports the same.  I have a lot of fun at both, and have gotten better at both a lot quicker than I thought I would have.  Some of the guys I mentioned earlier who've been shooting both sports longer than I've been shooting guns were coming up to me towards the end of the season last year asking if I took any classes.  I just told them that I put in the bare minimum in practice.  They still think I'm full of shit, but it's the truth.  Putting in over 60 hours a week at work leaves little free time to myself, and trying to squeeze a workout in after work leaves me even less free time.  

I think the most interesting thing I've seen shooting both USPSA and 3 gun is that most of the guys who are really good shooters don't have a chip on their shoulders and are willing to help others with stage plans and things of that nature.  I played golf pretty heavily from my mid teens through my mid 20's, and got down to a single digit handicap, but the guys who had a 15 handicap or better all had massive egos.  I didn't because I just treated it the same as I treat everything else I participate in as a hobby.....I'm just there to have fun and do something that isn't work related.  There's a couple of guys who are A class or B class shooters who take themselves entirely too seriously.  I'd go up to them to shoot the shit and say "hey nice run" and they'd say "that was a garbage run".   I understand demanding perfection from yourself, but try to have some fun, otherwise why even be there?  That whole mindset never made sense to me.  

ETA:  I forgot about the gimmicks you mentioned.  That stuff is dumb as hell lol.  I just want to see interesting stages that can be shot in more than one way, with targets that test your skills.  Hosing is fun, but anyone can hose, especially in 3 gun since you don't have to worry about hitting all alphas.  Hitting those tiny steel circles at 20 yards, a death star with pistol, and stuff like that is fun for me.  It's a good test of your skills.  But yes, the gimmicks need to go.  I don't think it's very realistic for me to be "fishing in a rowboat, and then drop the pole and engage targets 1-16 with your rifle", because I always go fishing in a rowboat with my rifle lol.  I don't mind the use of vehicles as props, but shooting from moving vehicles is dumb.  Unless you're a gangbanger in Chicago, and then that can be a very useful skill to have LOL

• Peally likes this

#17 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

FWIW the club I was at also had 3GN affiliation but also quickly dropped it due to very poor communication issues. It seems to be a running theme with them, which is unfortunate as they are/were the biggest dog in the pack.

And I am the guy that says "that was a garbage run" :D. When you consider hitting a no-shoot failing the entire match and entire day and someone congratulates you on a decent run it tends to grind on your nerves after a while.

• DD78 likes this

#18 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

ok, young gun.  you have to join me for a match in albany-i'll furnish all the shit you need.  but let's wait till december so you can lay in the mud at the archery range trying to shoot at 410 yds up that hill.

To be totally honest, I have considered shooting a little 3-gun as an outlet that isn't USPSA, since I get a little (okay, more than a little) frustrated with USPSA and need something that I don't give a shit about getting gooder at. Laying in that mud pie they call the "archery range" is gonna be a hard pass from me though haha. Lately I have been thinking that maybe precision rifle would be a better outlet, since it is not just the same game with more guns (I am worried I would start to give a shit about how I am doing, which is the opposite of the point of doing it in the first place). 

There's a couple of guys who are A class or B class shooters who take themselves entirely too seriously.  I'd go up to them to shoot the shit and say "hey nice run" and they'd say "that was a garbage run".   I understand demanding perfection from yourself, but try to have some fun, otherwise why even be there?  That whole mindset never made sense to me.  

I definitely get that way from time to time, and sometimes am worried I come across as a dick. I am never irritated at them for saying it or it grinding my nerves, I am just upset at myself for messing up. I have expectations of my performance, so when I fall short of them it frustrates me (especially if it is stupid stuff, cough Area 1 cough). 

• DD78 likes this

#19 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Poor choice of words on my part. They don't piss me off so much as I'm pissed off at myself and most people don't "get it" and try to make you feel better, which is understandable but can be annoying when you have higher than average standards for yourself. It was not a good run because I'M A WINNER DAMMIT (insert sniffles here)

• GooldMember, DD78 and racetaco like this

#20 DD78

DD78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

To be totally honest, I have considered shooting a little 3-gun as an outlet that isn't USPSA, since I get a little (okay, more than a little) frustrated with USPSA and need something that I don't give a shit about getting gooder at. Laying in that mud pie they call the "archery range" is gonna be a hard pass from me though haha. Lately I have been thinking that maybe precision rifle would be a better outlet, since it is not just the same game with more guns (I am worried I would start to give a shit about how I am doing, which is the opposite of the point of doing it in the first place). 

I definitely get that way from time to time, and sometimes am worried I come across as a dick. I am never irritated at them for saying it or it grinding my nerves, I am just upset at myself for messing up. I have expectations of my performance, so when I fall short of them it frustrates me (especially if it is stupid stuff, cough Area 1 cough). 

Poor choice of words on my part. They don't piss me off so much as I'm pissed off at myself and most people don't "get it" and try to make you feel better, which is understandable but can be annoying when you have higher than average standards for yourself. It was not a good run because I'M A WINNER DAMMIT (insert sniffles here)

That was just one example, the people that I experienced that with are miserable every time I see them so it wasn't just a bad run, or bad day.  I understand demanding performance from yourself, and getting upset that you messed up on something that you should've easily had.  I'm the same way, but I just let it roll off my shoulders pretty quick.  Usually by the time the next shooter after me shoots, I've already let it go.  

I just suspect that the guys I'm referring to are just miserable people in general lol.  For those types, it's like damn dude, you might want to take a vacation or find a prostitute or something.  

With so few people actually making a living off of shooting, as their main profession, I've tempered my expectations and don't take it too seriously.  I'm 100% referring to local matches also, which makes it even more strange.  I haven't shot any matches higher than that yet, so I would imagine sectionals, Area, and nationals are a bit more serious.  I'm planning on shooting some of those next year, maybe a sectional later this summer to try it out.  

Like when I played golf, I played mainly to have fun, but as I got better, I had more fun.  If at any time something ceases being fun for me, I stop.  That's the reason I stopped playing golf.  I'd shoot single digits and be pissed off.  That's when I knew it was time to stop because spending money to be pissed wasn't logical.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users