31 replies to this topic

#1 AR10Shooter

AR10Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

http://www.metronews...n-accident.html

Members of a Kamloops shooting range are in shock after a seasoned visitor from Vancouver accidentally shot himself in the torso this weekend during a competition Sunday.

A Facebook post from the Vancouver-based Canadian Tactical Cowboy Supplies identified him as Dr. Richard Cho, an experienced competition shooter and an International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC)-certified "Black Badge" instructor.

"Today the B.C. shooting community mourns the loss of a shining star," the business said on its Facebook page alongside a photograph of Cho. "(He) was a husband, healer, athlete, teacher, student and all-around great guy.

"… We are truly in Rich's debt. Our thoughts are with his wife and his family."

#2 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

http://www.cfjctoday...tition-accident

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#3 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:47 AM

Very tragic.  Just goes to show you that IPSC Canada's "strict training requirements" before they let you shoot are bullshit window dressing to appease the libtard window lickers.

How many people, as a % of the USPSA population, have shot themselves or anyone else?

• jay likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#4 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:52 AM

That is pretty damn terrible.

​If you drop a gun, let it go, FFS.

• Gecko 46, TSO, warpspeed and 1 other like this

#5 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:17 AM

+1

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#6 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:19 AM

Yup. I believe that's what caused the injury out on Long Island last year.

#7 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:23 AM

Very sad.

I agree if you lose control of the gun just let it drop but people often have an instinctive reaction to try and grab at it. It sounds like that may have happened here.

I was pleased to see the police stating how safe gun ranges typically are and reinforcing the fact that this was an isolated, freak accident. Nothing more.

#8 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

Very tragic.  Just goes to show you that IPSC Canada's "strict training requirements" before they let you shoot are bullshit window dressing to appease the libtard window lickers.

How many people, as a % of the USPSA population, have shot themselves or anyone else?

Ask the guy in Cali if that matters. 

#9 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

It's tragic when you cause your own death with such a low probability occurrence. Sad.

#10 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Long ago I fumble fingered and dropped a loaded Glock on a hard tile floor - which probably would have broken. I caught it - and then freaked out realizing that I had damn near killed myself.

It's a hard instinct to suppress - but it helps to have thought long and hard about it BEFORE it happens to you.

At the time I was new and had never considered it.
  • BHill and Motosapiens like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#11 Canuck223

Canuck223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

Rich had an excellent reputation, and will be missed. It was a tragic accident made worse by some of the mouth breathers in the media and shooting community Monday Morning quarter backing without the facts. 

#12 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

It was a tragic accident made worse by some of the mouth breathers in the media and shooting community Monday Morning quarter backing without the facts. 

And the facts are............?

#13 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

If you drop a gun you push and run.  But if you try to catch it you get punched in the face.

I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#14 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

From fb

Attached Files

• Attached File  cho.jpg   98.89KB   50 downloads

#15 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

I know quite a few, but in pretty much all cases they meant to.

#16 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

I was part of an emergency response of a guy that shot himself in the leg with a 1911 he caught after dropping it  (not part of a match, just shooting with his friends)  45ACP JHP just missed the guys femur.  Very lucky he didn't kill himself.

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#17 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I was part of an emergency response of a guy that shot himself in the leg with a 1911 he caught after dropping it  (not part of a match, just shooting with his friends)  45ACP JHP just missed the guys femur.  Very lucky he didn't kill himself.

Tex?

#18 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

+1

+2 (in a good way bro)

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#19 SME at Pistol Forum

SME at Pistol Forum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

And people laugh at instructors that teach to throw firearms in the air and "NOT" try to catch them.

This is why.

Pistol Forum Subject Matter Expert...  Which pretty much equals B class at Doodie Project

#20 FL2549

FL2549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

Okay, just to set some things straight.  He was an open division shooter, but he was not one of these guys that is on the edge of being out of control fast.  He was very methodical; he just shot an open gun.  To give you an idea, on the first day of the match, out of 190 rounds, he only shot 2 D's and 1 M on classic IPSC targets.  He was not reckless.  There was a part of the stage where you had to lift a port that had was hinged at the top, the kind of ports that people sometimes lift up and then prop on the top of their head.  I heard that after he shot that position, the port slammed down and knocked the gun out of his hand. I've also heard that he had started a reload so had taken one hand off the gun, but based on the layout of the stage, it wasn't a place that most people would have reloaded after.

He was not unsafe.  Media and even the police are calling it a freak accident, and that's exactly what it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users