#21 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Okay, just to set some things straight.  He was an open division shooter, but he was not one of these guys that is on the edge of being out of control fast.  He was very methodical; he just shot an open gun.  To give you an idea, on the first day of the match, out of 190 rounds, he only shot 2 D's and 1 M on classic IPSC targets.  He was not reckless.  There was a part of the stage where you had to lift a port that had was hinged at the top, the kind of ports that people sometimes lift up and then prop on the top of their head.  I heard that after he shot that position, the port slammed down and knocked the gun out of his hand. I've also heard that he had started a reload so had taken one hand off the gun, but based on the layout of the stage, it wasn't a place that most people would have reloaded after.

He was not unsafe.  Media and even the police are calling it a freak accident, and that's exactly what it was.

I don't think anyone has hinted at anything that implies this guy was unsafe or that this was anything but a tragic accident.

My crack at IPSC Canada was about their dumb tests which I suppose you need to appease a hostile .gov that would rather you not have any handguns at all

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#22 FL2549

FL2549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone here. I was referring to the FB screenshot that said "He is in Open division, so he was really moving".

#23 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Okay, just to set some things straight.  He was an open division shooter, but he was not one of these guys that is on the edge of being out of control fast.  He was very methodical; he just shot an open gun.  To give you an idea, on the first day of the match, out of 190 rounds, he only shot 2 D's and 1 M on classic IPSC targets.  He was not reckless.  There was a part of the stage where you had to lift a port that had was hinged at the top, the kind of ports that people sometimes lift up and then prop on the top of their head.  I heard that after he shot that position, the port slammed down and knocked the gun out of his hand. I've also heard that he had started a reload so had taken one hand off the gun, but based on the layout of the stage, it wasn't a place that most people would have reloaded after.

He was not unsafe.  Media and even the police are calling it a freak accident, and that's exactly what it was.

I am not surprised reading this. I've seen a lot of close calls when guns get caught on props or as people try to exit a window or door, once a narrow "hallway" caused a problem. I don't think I've ever seen anyone fumble a loaded gun in during a course of fire except for many years ago a guy threw his gun downrange on the draw, it cartwheeling muzzle, butt, muzzle butt, as it went down the paved range was bad enough. It was a standard exercise and 4 other people were shooting with him in the middle of the line, he took off running downrange chasing his spinning pistol while the others kept shooting unaware until he got downrange far enough for them to see. Under heavy protest we sent him home, he thought he was fine as long as he "stayed in his lane".  After another almost as bad incident we had to ban him permanently. 

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#24 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:53 AM

Threw it in a screwed up draw, or threw it in a fit of anger?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#25 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

Was RO'ing indoor match Sunday and dude dropped a tanfoglio open gun during the draw. There was some fumbling and it landed safety off pointed uprange.

Natural instinct is to try to grab it I guess; we got lucky this one wasn't touched off during the drop. It was an old gun of mine that at least we had reinstalled the firing pin block on.

The dropped gun is about as dangerous as it gets.

With all the tuning that goes on, there is not much margin there. Getting caught in a prop or bumped the wrong way and finger in the trigger guard and the gun going boom is easy to believe.

Even down here in NC I've already heard in person good things about this guy. Very sorry for him and his family.

On injured reserve.

#26 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Always be learning.  Tragic, but don't let it be a waste.  Learn from this.

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#27 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Threw it in a screwed up draw, or threw it in a fit of anger?

Very screwed up draw. The last time I saw the guy he had made himself a go cart out of conduit a toyota engine and a homemade airplane propeller. At least he never procreated that I know of although.................................

• Buck Turgidson likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#28 ltdmstr

ltdmstr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

I worked as a cook when I was in high school and learned real fast that if you drop a knife, you just let it fall and don't try to catch it.  Same goes for guns.

#29 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Very screwed up draw. The last time I saw the guy he had made himself a go cart out of conduit a toyota engine and a homemade airplane propeller. At least he never procreated that I know of although.................................

You found my papa?

#30 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

The last time I saw the guy he had made himself a go cart out of conduit a toyota engine and a homemade airplane propeller. At least he never procreated that I know of although.................................

• Stranger Danger likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#31 Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationMilpenis, Ca.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

Damn, I think that was a testicle he coughed up there at the end!

• Stranger Danger likes this

#32 u sofa king we todd ed

u sofa king we todd ed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

I worked as a cook when I was in high school and learned real fast that if you drop a knife, you just let it fall and don't try to catch it.  Same goes for guns.

Catching a hot soldering iron will teach you the same thing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users