93 replies to this topic

#1 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

OK, unlike our friend cor_man257, I *did* pull up my panties, give enough blowjobs to raise $20 in match fees, and shoot an actual USPSA match, but: Laying aside the issue of competitiveness, or personal taste, or bitterly-held preexisting prejudices about the manhood of people who shoot $DIVISION, and speaking purely from a skills development angle, should a rank n00b start off in Limited or Production, and why?  I've heard opinions on both sides.  Discuss.

(If hardware makes a difference to your answer, assume a Glock 34 in Production and a Glock 35 with major loads and a magwell in Limited, both with FO sights and trigger work.  If that doesn't flip up your skirt, assume whatever hardware you want, but specify.)

#2 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

High cap divisions will make you better, faster. The biggest gains in this sport (beyond being able to hit and remember all the targets) is in movement, entries, exits and shooting on the move. It allows you to focus on the shooting part of the game, as opposed to constantly worrying about reloading or running out of bullets. 

If I had my way everyone would also start in a division with an optic, since that will also make you a lot better, faster.

#3 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

Are you SURE you aren't a special snowflake in disguise?

Lim Glock anything is dumb, have some self respect. 2011 or equivalent or GTFO of Limited.

Who do you think you are, Mr. White?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#4 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

Glocks are dumb and Production is dumber so that would make you Dumb and Dumber.  Get a sweet 2011 Limited gat and impress your friends at the range with your "custom" hardware.  Chicks dig it.

• 3gundago and Stranger Danger like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#5 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

It allows you to focus on the shooting part of the game, as opposed to constantly worrying about reloading or running out of bullets. 

Actual srs advice?  I feel like this is what gets you warning points in these parts.

The counter-argument to that (not mine, for the record) is that you have to get good at reloading someday so you might as well do it up front, and therefore by running any division but Production you're just masking skills you'll need.  Thoughts on that?

Who do you think you are, Mr. White?

Someday I hope to be GuanoLoco circa 2014.

I mean, obviously I'm not talking about being competitive in either division, and if I was afraid to embarrass myself I wouldn't be here.  Or at any match.  Ever.

Glocks are dumb and Production is dumber so that would make you Dumb and Dumber.  Get a sweet 2011 Limited gat and impress your friends at the range with your "custom" hardware.  Chicks dig it.

But what, per my IDPA roots, do dudes dig?  That's really the important question, if we're talking about compensating for how bad you suck by buying expensive shit.

#6 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

Actual srs advice?  I feel like this is what gets you warning points in these parts.

The counter-argument to that (not mine, for the record) is that you have to get good at reloading someday so you might as well do it up front, and therefore by running any division but Production you're just masking skills you'll need.  Thoughts on that?

I mean, obviously I'm not talking about being competitive in either division, and if I was afraid to embarrass myself I wouldn't be here.  Or at any match.  Ever.

But what, per my IDPA roots, do dudes dig?  That's really the important question, if we're talking about compensating for how bad you suck by buying expensive shit.

Anything Salient.  But doods also dig hard chrome and mag capacity.  Given that Salient is overpriced garbage that only leaves you with a 2011.

SAI GLOCK 43 - TIER ONE

No reviews

$ 2,625.00

Introducing the Glock Tier One Package the ultimate in performance and reliability for your Glock.  The Tier one Glock features a trued mating of the frame and slide for optimal smooth tracking.  This smooth and fast tracking is further enhanced through the reliable SAI weight reduction on the slide which is taken to the edge with the addition of window cuts on the slide - only available on Tier Ones.  The slide features enhanced rear cocking serrations for positive manipulations and the additional positive cocking serrations for press checks.  The frame features a full hand stipple and double trigger guard undercut providing the user with a higher grip and added enhanced stippled surface for control.  Customers have their choice of flat or traditional trigger shoes, and have their choice of TiN or Black Nitride SAI Box Fluted Match and threaded barrels - all standard on Tier One Package.

If you want to take your Glock to another level of performance while still retaining that Glock reliability we all love then this is the package for you!

Features:

• Models Available: 9mm
  • Barrel Finish Available - TiN or Black Nitride
  • Trigger Weight: 4 lbs
  • SAI Fiber Optic Sights Standard
  • Trued Mating of Frame and Glock Slide
  • Double Trigger Guard undercut
  • Tier One Internals (Standard) - Flat Trigger Shoe

• Trigger Warning and Stranger Danger like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#7 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

High cap divisions will make you better, faster. The biggest gains in this sport (beyond being able to hit and remember all the targets) is in movement, entries, exits and shooting on the move. It allows you to focus on the shooting part of the game, as opposed to constantly worrying about reloading or running out of bullets.

If I had my way everyone would also start in a division with an optic, since that will also make you a lot better, faster.

Practice makes you faster. 9mm is cheaper. Production has plenty of boom booms in the gun, you just have to reload when you move your feet. If you want to buy your way to the top of the overall......

#8 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

It doesn't matter. Limited slightly favors speed a bit more and involves less reloads (so there's a lower equipment requirement in magazines). It also favors non-9mm and more gun modifications, so it's up to how much you want to lean towards a "stock" style division.

Actually dedicating a whopping 5 minutes of practice to the game every now and then is what separates the people scoring well from the other 80% of the field. Divisions don't make a difference aside from what you get to call gay on Doodie.

• Motosapiens and racetaco like this

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Aim higher.
  • Peally likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#10 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Clearly the correct answer is Carry Optics.

#11 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

Handguns are only kept around for legacy purposes. If you are new start at the top and that is pistol caliber carbine. No reloads, no irons, no ammo reloading, no turning around, no weak hand, and best of all no reholstering!

Maximum practical! The p is uspsa does not stand for handgun - it's just there to divide the s's.

A Salient Tier One carbine is the best and is an heirloom you can pass down to the next tard surfing ads on enos.
  • ralloway likes this

On injured reserve.

#12 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

Serious answer: What does the best shooter at your local match shoot?

#13 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Do what it takes to get to HOA; that's all the chicks care about.
  • racetaco likes this

On injured reserve.

#14 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Serious answer: What does the best shooter at your local match shoot?

Winner!

Go where the heat is, learn from them.

The standard response is limited minor because most everyone asking has a full-size 9mm pistol, but sounds like you have a limited gun already.  

Just pick one and commit to it for a solid year, don't do the harebrained division musical chairs thing.

#15 TrackCage

TrackCage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Do you wanna be good or look good? High-priced 2011 shooting limited, obviously. Take lots of video footage, but under no circumstances overlay your hits [misses], time or hit factor.

Better question - why don't you have a sponsor jersey yet?

• Stranger Danger likes this

#16 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

Handguns are only kept around for legacy purposes. If you are new start at the top and that is pistol caliber carbine. No reloads, no irons, no ammo reloading, no turning around, no weak hand, and best of all no reholstering!

Maximum practical! The p is uspsa does not stand for handgun - it's just there to divide the s's.

A Salient Tier One carbine is the best and is an heirloom you can pass down to the next tard surfing ads on enos.

LOL a PCC guy DQ'd on the classifier this weekend.  AD into the box whilst the changing of the mag.  

• Trigger Warning likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#17 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

That's a terrible ruling! He wasn't aiming the gun at anybody plus they shouldn't have put the box so close to him!
  • ToddKS, shmella and Stranger Danger like this

On injured reserve.

#18 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationShowing stuff to the kids

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

PCC 10? Seems fun...

• Stranger Danger likes this

~ My lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#19 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Actual srs advice?  I feel like this is what gets you warning points in these parts. I know, I am working very hard to get that first warning point.

You could make that counter-argument, if shooting a high cap division and practicing reloads outside of matches were mutually exclusive. Since they are not, don't be a dumbass with a dumbass counter-argument and practice them outside of matches. When I was first getting into the sport (while shooting a limited G35, to boot) I did about 100 reloads a day. I got good at them, now I don't have to practice them very often anymore. 

See: association fallacy.

#20 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

You're really doing 2 things at the beginning, learning how to shoot (at least shoot in the action style) and learning how to play the game. They are separate but it's easy to think of them as equal.

In my mind it's easier to do both by decomplicating them as much as possible, so I usually suggest newbies shoot Limited and fill up their magazines. That way they can build on the initial game-learning by adding in 'breaking down a stage by 10s' later if they want to shoot Production.

It also reduces ones frustration in going to war and slide locking repeatedly. But these are perhaps subjective benefits, if you want to shoot Production then do it.

• Gecko 46 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users