#1 RMJack

RMJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

Got an actual shooting question (crazy, right?)

I've been ramping up the dry fire for a few months, and have noticed my right hand draw (single hand) is much faster and better than my freestyle draw. Like .2 seconds better and usually more 'indexed'.

I'm pretty sure the slower draw is due to building the grip when using both hands. 

Any thoughts or recommendations on how to improve the speed of my freestyle draw?

TIA!

• Dentalor and DanielKr like this

#2 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

How do the results compare in live fire? Is the SHO draw still faster and more accurate?

#3 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

How do the results compare in live fire? Is the SHO draw still faster and more accurate?

Not likely.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#4 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the slower draw is due to building the grip when using both hands. 

Any thoughts or recommendations on how to improve the speed of my freestyle draw?

TIA!

Where is your support hand going or what is it doing when the buzzer goes off?

Are you "chasing" the gun with the support hand during extension?

Generally speaking, you want to build the grip in the very early part of the draw, so logically you want the support hand to be near the gun as soon as the timer goes beep.

I index my support hand to the top of my belt approximately at the point of my hip, just forward of the holster.  I actually slap my hand on my belt/belly, and I think that's a good mental cue in training to exaggerate when you're working on your draw.

• Motosapiens, ZachJ and Trigger Warning like this

#5 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

listen to what sweet t has to say. many newer shooters are more focused on the strong hand, and don't really pay much attention to what the support hand is doing until the gun is out of the holster. it helped me to spend some time consciously moving my weak hand at the same time so as my strong hand gets a grip on the gun, my weak hand is right in front of my stomach (wrist just about touching just under my sternum) and fingers already extended forward waiting for the gun to show up, and as soon as the gun is there, the weak hand can start getting a grip while driving the gun out to the target.  Basically just think a lot more about what your weak hand is doing during the draw, and do it all sooner. your strong hand is probably pretty subconscious by now, so you can pay extra attention to your weak hand until it also becomes subconscious.

i think it's probably pretty normal to be about as quick on the sight picture with strong-hand vs freestyle, but i can pull the trigger a little more quickly and accurately freestyle.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#6 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Generally speaking, you want to build the grip in the very early part of the draw, so logically you want the support hand to be near the gun as soon as the timer goes beep.

I index my support hand to the top of my belt approximately at the point of my hip, just forward of the holster.  I actually slap my hand on my belt/belly, and I think that's a good mental cue in training to exaggerate when you're working on your draw.

This is spot on. 

A stupid trick I used to train myself to draw like that was to keep my CR belt keeper in the spot where I wanted my weakhand to go, and then used it as a tacticle index when practicing draws. It helped me ingrain the habit in a hurry.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#7 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

A stupid trick I used to train myself to draw like that was to keep my CR belt keeper in the spot where I wanted my weakhand to go, and then used it as a testicle index when practicing draws.

u r doing it wrong.  ;)

• GuanoLoco and MEISTERB like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#8 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

listen to what sweet t has to say. many newer shooters are more focused on the strong hand, and don't really pay much attention to what the support hand is doing until the gun is out of the holster. it helped me to spend some time consciously moving my weak hand at the same time so as my strong hand gets a grip on the gun, my weak hand is right in front of my stomach (wrist just about touching just under my sternum) and fingers already extended forward waiting for the gun to show up, and as soon as the gun is there, the weak hand can start getting a grip while driving the gun out to the target.  Basically just think a lot more about what your weak hand is doing during the draw, and do it all sooner. your strong hand is probably pretty subconscious by now, so you can pay extra attention to your weak hand until it also becomes subconscious.

i think it's probably pretty normal to be about as quick on the sight picture with strong-hand vs freestyle, but i can pull the trigger a little more quickly and accurately freestyle.

Exactly, most people don't really think about the support hand does, not nearly as much as they agonize over the strong hand. I think because usually the only advice you tend to hear for the support hand is 'grip really hard'.

Watching good steel challenge shooters helped me. That shit is all about nailing the draw because their time to first shot is like .75. So they muscle both hands down to the gun, strong hand goes onto the beavertail, weak hand by the gun (some people index on the belt or their belly, depends how fat you are I guess) or hang in the air by the holster. When gun clears the holster the weak hand is grabbing it. They grab it down there as opposed to up in front of the chest because it gives you the most time to fix a poor grip if you need to. It should be the same as a SHO draw because you are forming the grip on the way up and not pausing at any point.

It also helped me a lot to develop an index for my support hand when I grip it on the gun. I used to push my strong hand into my weak hand (back of my strong fingers pressing into the weak fingers first) and roll my palm onto the grip. I had a lot of problems with that, sometimes end up with the palm too far forwards so I'm mostly wasting grip strength on squeezing my fingers together, or press on the mag release with my palm. I started practicing by indexing the heel of my weak hand to the heel of my strong hand and rolling forwards. This always let me cover the most grip with my weak palm and have my fingers in the same place so I could maximize force on the gun.

It might feel weird to practice a new draw but see if it works for you after a few hours of reps.

• GuanoLoco and Peally like this

#9 RMJack

RMJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Thanks all!

I had my wife video me, and yes, I've been chasing my strong hand during my freestyle shooting. 

Been dry firing a ton, focusing on getting the offhand chest high and ready to 'hop' on as the strong hand presses out. So far I like it. Much more consistent and I end up with a better, more stable gun at extension.

Thanks again, I'll continue to work this...

#10 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

Yeah it's way easier to get the off hand over to the holster instead of floating it on your chest ready to chase the gun around during presentation.

• ralloway likes this

#11 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:05 AM

Been dry firing a ton, focusing on getting the offhand chest high and ready to 'hop' on as the strong hand presses out. So far I like it. Much more consistent and I end up with a better, more stable gun at extension.

Begin to get your weak hand to the gun on the trip upward from the holster, so that your weak hand is finished arriving, and clamps down into place as you reach the "where you clap your hands" spot in front of your chest. You want your grip built as early as possible without having to stop moving in order to do it.

This video actually has a lot of merit to it:

https://youtu.be/BMSlCyc-SQQ
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#12 Fudge Tunnel

Fudge Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Above Video Summary:  Your tactical press out is slow and gay.

#13 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

I don't want to be helpful or anything, but...  how about you post up an actual drill (target, distance, start position, etc)  ...and post up actual results (hits and time)  ?

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#14 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Above Video Summary: Your tactical press out is slow and gay.

This.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#15 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Gotta clear your delicious pizza covered table before you defend Sbarro.

#KnightsOfSbarro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users