68 replies to this topic

#1 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

Time for my annual USPSA website rant. This is going to be a tl;dr and sting you in the eyes epic fucking post. However, it needs to be done if just one “tech person” in USPSA sees it. Its my “6 page white paper” of bitching and guidance. I hope its all for naught and they update the website tomorrow, but history has proven me wrong.

For historical context:

June 2016 rant: http://www.doodiepro...-to-be-updated/

January 2016 rant: http://www.doodiepro...bsite-database/

This website “update” has been going on since January of 2014. That’s 3 and a half years, just let that sink in for a moment. Now granted, they finally did get the classifier technology out of the dark ages of a manual update once per month. But fuck, welcome to 2001. Someone discovered scripts.

Let’s just take a step back and see how fucked the website actually is. This is going to be a step by step analysis of the ENTIRE website. What are the issues and what can be done to fix it. I’m removing my corporate filter, but bringing in my experience working for a global ecommerce company.

Why am I doing this? I love this freaking sport. However, the 1995-ness of our website drives me fucking nuts. Strap in - here we go:

First, let's focus – what is the website actually trying to do? To ensure all functions stay focused, tenets are utilized by large e-commerce companies. They help guide decisions when they need to be made, they help onboard new team members to the goals, and ensures there is consistency between new teams if a change occurs.

USPSA needs to create some tenets on what they actual fuck they want the website to do and follow these tenets at all times. Here are some examples:

1.    Reduce membership effort.

2.    Provide accurate information

3.    Treat every member as a friend

4.    Make is easy for new shooters to learn, find, and enjoy the sport

Looking at the USPSA website, does it achieve any of these basic tenets above? Let’s take a hard look:

About USPSA - What is the purpose of this page? It doesn’t guide people into the sport of USPSA, it’s just a landing page for more links. Oh joy. Thanks for increasing my effort by not even providing a basic paragraph of the sport. But hey! Here are more links to follow::

-       Join or Renew Membership - It’s a form. It can definitely use a face lift with a marketing “blurb” on the top detailing what exactly someone gets from giving you $40 a year. Not just a membership card. Not just a magazine. If you can’t say truthfully it’s a membership to an organization that provides the tenets above via their website and rules, then you need to sit down and get to work.

-       Request Information – “This page is no longer available.” BROKEN PAGE – Want info? Go fuck yourself. You know how much effort it takes to put up a page that says “This page is no longer available”, about the same amount as it takes to delete a freaking hyperlink.

-       USPSA FAQThis page and its links are out of date. For example:

o   How does the classification system work? – This page needs to be reviewed based on the classification update frequency changes at the end of 2016 as well as additional changes communicated by the President.

o   I shot a bunch of scores last month, but none of them are in my records. How come? – See above.

o   A complete review of all the FAQ items needs to occur to ensure it’s up to date for 2017. Included in this review there should be a data driven analysis of the FAQ links. What are the common questions USPSA HQ gets today? Are they at the top of the list? Are there new questions that should be there? Does the FAQ address new members questions (Have there been any focus groups)?

-       USPSA Media – links to more links! Let’s check them out:

o    US Nationals and World Shoot Winners - Apparently, we haven’t had US Nationals since 2015. Time for an update.

o    USPSA – Photo Gallery“We are working to improve our Photo Gallery - Check back soon!” – See the Request Information link above. If you don’t want to maintain a Photo Gallery, remove the link! God only knows how long someone’s been “working” on this page.

o    USPSA History - I love this one. It links to the wrong page and displays the “Getting Started” page. This is like hyperlink fixing 101. Obviously, no one cares about our history. Fix it.

o    USPSA Logo Policy – Legal stuff. No real issue here; however, probably want to ditch the PDF format and include links to email requests and an address for the “applications should be in the form of a business letter”. Do people still snail mail in 2017?

-       USPSA History – Ok, but needs a major update. Get a Frontsite contributor to write something up. Maybe include some older pictures of TGO and BEnos and those 80s trucker hat/mullet wearing leather holster MFers, some names of the founders, and please update or remove the “For 20 years USPSA competitions has provided…” as it already 13 years out of date.

-       Getting Started – this page should be a WEALTH of information. Videos, guides, and simple and easy steps to get started in USPSA. Right now it’s a wall of text, out of date (See Sources section), and doesn’t help anyone. This is tenet #4 – and this page should a shining example of how to get people started with where to go and when, what to bring, what they should be focused on, how to improve, and what they will get out of the sport.

-       Where to buy gear – Seriously? “PAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED - PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CLUB FOR INFO ON WHERE TO BUY GEAR” As discussed before, remove it. Instead of farming out watch ads, maybe this would be a good spot to link to vendors that ACTUALLY SUPPORT practical shooting with gear – benstoegerproshop.com, shootersconnection, dawson precision, speedshooters, doublealpha, etc.

Still with me? You’re fucking insane.

Find Clubs – Arguably not even needed. Why? I don’t care where a club is located. I want to know where Matches are at, see tenet #1. It should just be a part of Find Matches. But for the sake of argument, let’s dive into it.

I really don’t have an issue with the landing page at all. Map shows all the areas well. I like finding clubs by Zip code or state. Zip code does need an ability to add a distance to it, but I guess I could just search state by state (See tenant #1 again).

Not so fast, lets check those links on the map when you click on each area:

Area 1 - http://www.uspsa1.or...spendedpage.cgi - Website offline

Area 2 - http://www.uspsa2.org/ - ok

Area 3 - https://www.uspsa3.com/home.html - ok

Area 4 - http://www.uspsa4.org/ - ok (Edit: NOT ok per shreek - 10 years out of date)

Area 5 - http://www.uspsa5.org/ - Website offline

Area 6 - http://uspsa6.org/new/ - not updated since March 2016

Area 7 - http://www.uspsa7.org/ - 1994 called and it wants its website back   

Area 8 - http://www.uspsa8.org/ - ok

These are supposed to be AREA pages supporting several states. 25% of them don’t even work. One of the largest areas hasn’t been updated in over a year. This is just sad. USPSA should be providing tech for these Areas to manage an Area page WITHIN the USPSA website. Otherwise, USPSA should take ownership of those URLs and manage them for the Areas.

The results? Oh the results… Contact Info. Phone. Email. Distance to Contact. Club Contact. Authorized score uploader.

Where is the club/range location? Where is the data on when they have matches? Where is the data on their matches (fees, divisions, events).  The data is dependent upon one person, one email address. What if that person says F it and leaves? Is the club dead (in some cases yes). Again, this should be something USPSA focuses on and owns within the website. A portal that can provide an email alias to contact several members, admin functions to update data if the club changes, etc. And if you say “They can get that info from ‘Find Matches’" – tenet #1 and ad a link!

Find Matches – Here we go. The bread and butter of what the website SHOULD be about for new and experienced shooters. I can’t express the frustration I had when I first got into USPSA just trying to find where matches were being held. Looking everywhere in my state and neighboring states and filtering through long outdated websites, emailing (see above) club contacts and not getting replies, just wanting to shoot but couldn’t find any info.

The sad part, this continues today in 2017. Finding Level 2 matches is a BITCH. It shouldn’t be. They’re not all listed on USPSA’s website. Why not? See tenet #1, USPSA fails at this and organizers rely on Facebook, their own websites, word of mouth, forum posts, etc. If you don’t know where to look, good luck getting into certain matches. Finding L1/local matches is even WORSE. There are Facebook groups to just communicate when matches are being held, cancelled, special events, etc. Sometimes they’re on a website, but rarely. THIS.IS.THE.BIGGEST.FAILURE.OF.THE.USPSA.WEBSITE.

USPSA’s website tech should revolve around this idea. How do you beat Facebook? How do you create the tech to enable clubs to post info and share that with membership? USPSA must be able to answer this question and ensure it accurate (see tenet #2): “I am visiting an Area outside of where I normally shoot and want to shoot a local match, where do I go, what time should I be there, and is there anything I should know before I show up?”

If USPSA can provide a portal, where clubs can EASILY update information, Find Matches might actually be useful.  Image how great it would be being able to find EVERY level 1, 2, and 3 match info – right now, relevant for this weekend. But alas – let’s take a quick look at what we have under Find Matches – FU noob, only Major matches listed. Fine, no level 1 matches need apply. Even with the Majors listed, lets say I want to go to the 2017 CZ-USA Iron Sight Nationals. I’ll just click the link there and… WTF. It’s the same damn format as the club contacts. No apply here form. No info on the match. Just a club name (no address). A name with phone number and a non-uspsa email address, and a link to an external website for a USPSA national event.  To repeat: THIS.IS.THE.BIGGEST.FAILURE.OF.THE.USPSA.WEBSITE.

This again should be a page on USPSA. An ability for the Match Director to setup a page on USPSA’s website, include links for signup through Practiscore (reserve this for another rant as we use an external website to sign up and find scores for USPSA), find updates on the event, news, etc, and have it all be on USPSA.

This isn’t a Level 1, 2, or 3.. it’s a fucking national event. Go look at it: https://www.uspsa.or...s.php?indx=1191 that is as much attention as USPSA cares to give it. Tenet #3 applies here – friends don’t let friends have suck ass websites.

Match Results – See Practiscore. Seriously. However, if you want to check out this page, I hope you know your Club Code, because I’m sure everyone who shoots an L1 knows that… I guess I could scroll through the long list of club names. I heard they added this cool feature call SEARCH to computers a while ago. Otherwise – see Practiscore. Honestly, do whatever the fuck you need to. Buy them dinner. Give them all free GM cards, whatever the fuck it takes, and let them have control. But for god’s sake, integrate Practiscore into USPSAs website.

Club Support – I’m not surprised why most clubs resort to Facebook. Just look at this page. 19 links. With golden gems like:

-       Results Uploads & Payments – with EzWinScore support (who uses that anymore?)

-       Edit Local Match Schedule – Not a link to do it, but a several paragraphs on telling you to go edit your info. How about a link to edit it there on the page? Or even better, let me edit it on that page like the link describes!

-       Match Ammo Service – “This page under construction” Sure it is.

-       EzWinScore Support – Now on Windows Vista!

-       Classifier/Activity Upload – No longer needed. Links to a page saying its no longer needed. This link is no longer needed!!

-       USPSA FAQ – Same FAQ for new members. Why the fuck is it here in Club Support?!?!

-       Self-Service Match Squadding – See FAQ above. Why is it here under Clubs?

-       Approved Target Vendors – We list target vendors here, but can’t list equipment links for new shooters?

Member Support - Strangely. I don’t have a huge issue with this page besides its formatting can be redone to make it easier to find information. Grouping similar popular items together and making them more prominent will adhere to tenet #1 instead of 19 equal items. For example: Classifier Record, Renew/Upgrade Membership, USPSA Forum might be top drivers and should be larger at the top (again, drive decisions based on data, and if your website doesn’t have data available for click-throughs and what pages are viewed the most – GET IT). Items like Flag Removal Requests, Match Ammo Service (LOL – This page under construction), and USPSA Bylaws can be smaller at the bottom. 

Make is easier for your members to find the information that is important to them! All 4 of your tenets apply here.

Rules – This page is fucked. Do you really expect me to go through 9 separate links of updated this and updated that to really know what the fuck the rules are? Don’t we have a whole division, NROI, whos only job is to focus on rules. See Trigger Warning’s post here: http://www.doodiepro...psa-html-rules/ on how to do it fucking right. Spend a Monday on it. It’s really not that hard. Fuck, just copy and paste Trigger’s post. All the work is already done! Rules apply to tenet #2. This should be a key focus. Not Frontsight. Not USPSA spam emails. Not 5,000 updates to your Facebook page. Finding Matches and Rules. Focus.

Join USPSA – See form rant at the top.

Steel Challenge – Going to skip. Others might find it useful, doubtful.

Front Sight Magazine – I honestly think you should stop publishing a magazine and put ALL of that talent, artwork, articles, and development time into the website. Print is dead. Please catch up to 2017.  There are many ways to generate revenue with advertising outside of print, create a great website, and you can charge by clicks, notifications via apps, etc.  Just.let.it.go.

NROI – This page suffers from two things. 1) It needs its own set of tenets. (What is the NROI trying to do? Does it want more ROs? Does it want to provide easily accessible information on rules? Does it want a super-charged nitro ATV so it can get to popper calibration calls quicker?)  2) It needs a face lift as well as it suffers from the same issue as Member Support (15 links and they look all the fucking same).

Nationals – Whatever. Maybe the 400 members that go there care. I don’t.

Media Room – See USPSA Media above in About USPSA because it’s the SAME FUCKING PAGE.

Partners – Many of these links also exist under Media Room (see above and above). However we have:

-       Target Royalty Reporting – “Page Under Construction” – My good old friend under construction since who-the-fuck-knows-when.

-       USPSA Partner Program – Nothing about a program to partner with USPSA, it’s just a form to get a retail point of purchase display kit. WTFClickBaitLOL!

-       USPSA Sponsorships – Sponsorship PDFs from 2013 with Straders wife as a POC?!? Oookay.

Women of USPSA - http://wofuspsa.org/ - Not working. How the fuck does this happen? It’s a main link on the USPSA website?

Online Store – someone FINALLY added links to other vendors. Need a new overlay? Go fuck yourself.

Personal Profile – No huge issue. Just needs to be integrated with Practiscore match management.

Didn’t think I forgot about those links at the bottom did you?

About USPSA – See above

Photo Galleries – “We are working to improve our Photo Gallery - Check back soon!” LIES!

Online Store – Doesn’t even link to the same page above. It’s just blank. So sad.

Media Room – See above

Personal Profile - See above

Partners - See above

Fuck.

I honestly feel I am the first person to do this in years. Please, someone, anyone, at USPSA HQ, have your “tech team” read this. Ask for feedback from non-howler-monkeys. Fix the fucking broken stuff, and more importantly, adhere to some tenets and treat us as friends, reduce our effort, get accurate information up, and make it easier for me to find matches and enjoy our sport!

"You can give it the old spin."

#2 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

Wow... Just wow. You did all of that for free, imagine if they paid you
  • GooldMember and jay like this

#3 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

Appendix A

The Home Page.

In my review of the entire site, I left out one critical item; the main landing page. As I reflected on why this happened, it occurred to me it’s primarily due to its static nature. It’s literally the same format I’ve seen since I started in 2012 with one small exception. I just glaze over it anytime I visit uspsa.org.

The header page is reviewed extensively above. The ‘Recent major match results’ looks dated. I know they’re trying to bring more life to the page with major results posted at the top, but take a look at mlb.com, nba.com, or other major sports and see how it’s done. It should be organic with the site, not an imported text string.

For the main body, its basically in 10 sections:

1.    Image rotator and link – Images rotate (same 10 images - btw: some of those shooters have different sponsors now), but would be nice to see so of the new images posted on USPSA’s facebook page. Also the link right there, on the main page, under the rotating photos to USPSA PHOTO GALLERIES leads to my old friend “We are working to improve our Photo Gallery - Check back soon!” Insert the Price Is Wrong music.

2.    Ad Space (left side) – No issue here. Got to pay the bills!

3.    USPSA News Flash – The exception. We actually can get some news here. Nice to have, but shouldn’t be a small link. Think news site headers! Grab the attention of your members and have them READ your news.

4.    USPSA News and Announcements – Not sure what the difference between News Flash and News and Announcements is, but whatever. Combine them and learn from the mega news sites out there. They have millions dedicated to grabbing your attention. Learn from them. Want to grab attention – use an image and bold lettering. Create headers and/or categories – think tenet #1 and 2.

5.    View the USPSA Magazine: Front Sight Online! – Wouldn’t it be nice to just have the website be the magazine, like every other fucking sport website? I don’t remember the last time I saw an MBL, NBA, NHL, or NFL magazine. Do you? (Sports Illustrated is just the Playboy magazine of sports - it hasn't realized its dead yet)

6.    Stay Informed! – Not bad to have Facebook and Twitter. However, remember that the USPSA website should drive content to those sites. People should have a single source of truth for information – tenet #1. Social Media is good to direct customers to your site for marketing or assistance, but they should NOT replace your site. Oh, and 29 followers on Flickr? Just remove the link. 

7.    Ad Space (right side) – Good. Get more and have your art team in Front Sight help make it worth your advertisers to have nice logos. The C-More white background image or the NSSF “I didn’t set my tolerance level correctly” image isn’t doing anyone any favors. Advertisers are your customers too; develop internal tenets for them as well.

8.    Steel Challenge – You guys bought it for whatever reason. However, NEVER SELF DEPRECATE YOUR PRODUCT with shit like it says on our front page “Steel shooting offers a port of entry to the shooting sports that is far less intimidating than practical shooting. Steel shooting provides an excellent starting place for young or beginning shooters. All this provides an alternative for those who might otherwise be lost to shooting.” Think about that, you guys are putting down USPSA as 1) intimidating 2) not a starting place and 3) an alternative to those lost to shooting. Seriously, change that shit tomorrow.

9.    Scholastic Steel Challenge / USPSA Junior Program – this link is all fucked up. First, the image isn’t even showing for me. Second, when you click on the image placeholder or the link to get more info, it takes you to http://uspsayounggun...spendedpage.cgi which then redirect you to the USPSA homepage?!? WTF?

10.  Learn More About the USPSA – Ahh, the crème de la crème. Click that video link and head over to YouTube. Not a bad video from 2005. It’s only 12 years old. 12. Years. Old. Sure, its got that guy from Shooting USA, but its TWELVE YEARS OLD. Wouldn’t it be cool to see actual people shooting the sport who shoot it today? Try to create some stars of the sport, what they endorse, etc. What about some info on Carry Optics or PCC? Or fuck me, how about USPSA having its own YouTube channel with videos on the sport, getting started on your first match, break downs of the scoring system, training tips, RO course shit, you know INFORMATION.  I’m sure the YouTube user violet0313 is an integral part of the USPSA organization as well *eyeroll*

The main landing page should be living and organic. Everything should work together and make members feel like it’s THE place to get information. Again, you have the toolset right in front of you to make it happen – Front Sight magazine. Kill the print and turn it digital. Make MAJOR updates to the website every 2 months. Create scripts and processes to update NEWS just like a news website. Make the site user friendly to smart phones (people consume web data via phone more and more) and integrate with Practiscore as much as possible.

All of the fixes are within 12 months if you started today. There needs to be a focus (create tenets) and a drive to stay focused. Develop a team and create deadlines. Don’t be afraid of the future and be ready to bury the past. USPSA can be healthy organization for many years to come, but you need to move away from this static 1995 website bullshit, embrace digital publishing and actually have a tech team that gives a shit.

God I hope the update you have planned does all this and more. I don't look forward to doing this again in 2018. Prove me wrong.

• Doc, trgt and GooldMember like this

"You can give it the old spin."

#4 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:04 AM

Rant level: A++

• Nimrod and gLocKsuCker69 like this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#5 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:26 AM

I am going to guess that the official response is:

"We don't want to waste time, energy, of money repairing the old website as we are about to launch the new website."

Of course they have been using that line for what? 3 1/2 years already?

I am a big fan of The Beard, but the website is a huge fail on his record. I don't know shit about "scripts" or web development, but it can't be this difficult or take this long.

IF the argument is.... "It was really fucked up by the previous administration/development company and it has caused more delays" ..... then they lose all credibility. In my opinion there are times when you have to cut your losses and start over, that day was about the 10th day of the Reign of The Beard (I am going to give him 10 days grace period to realize the project was FUCKED the day he took over the keys to the kingdom).
  • The Guy From PR, Heckler and jay like this

#6 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:06 AM

Watched part of that intro video.  Wow - it's not only ancient it practically brags that you have to spend billions of dollars on a finely and constantly tuned open gun to run this sport baby!  

Part of what has to happen, and something I've seen be an issue on corporate websites, is once the roadmap is established quality content has to be written.  For us, it was a bigger pain in the ass getting that out of the people who need to generate it than anything the actual web developers did to us.  

I can understand saying fuck the current site if all effort is on the new one.  However, it doesn't bode well for the health of the new site that nobody cares about keeping the old one reasonably current and in working order.  Everybody in an org wants a great website, but who the hell wants to keep it interesting and updated?  That shit is constant work!

I like the magazine, but if all the USPSA content generating resources are contained in that effort, it probably would be better to move that online.

#7 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

Time for my annual USPSA website rant. This is going to be a tl;dr and sting you in the eyes epic fucking post. However, it needs to be done if just one “tech person” in USPSA sees it. Its my “6 page white paper” of bitching and guidance. I hope its all for naught and they update the website tomorrow, but history has proven me wrong.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I also love how the homepage photos are 80% open shooters. I laughed at it when I started and I laugh at it now, that's not how you entice new slobs using "real" guns, and that's not a knock on open.

USPSA's greatest failing has always been selling their product, and their website is a prime example. Even IDPA crushes the shit out of USPSA in that regard.

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

You'd think by now it would be all PCC's and Glocks for max participation.  Major Open is the best, of course, but not when you are fishing in the deep part of the bell curve where the catch can be greatest.

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

It is not often that I am impressed, but that was outstanding work, Roons. I move that we adopt your recommendations immmediately, do we have a second?

On behalf of Doodies and USPSA members I would like to wish the staff responsible for the current web site, the 'planned' web sight and the print edition of Front Sight magazine luck in their future endeavors.
  • ralloway, racetaco, Stranger Danger and 1 other like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#10 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Area 4 - http://www.uspsa4.org/ - ok

Err... I think you meant "ten years out of date"...  At least two of the clubs and I think one of the contacts linked have died in the interim.  Plus thus guy.

Area Director
Troy McManus

"That could never happen" is a valid objection to any practical course of fire -- IPSC rules, June 1978.

#11 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

HFCalc_zpsa8h3jrrv.jpg

• Stubb, Nimrod, GuanoLoco and 2 others like this

#12 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Roons is the new rant hotness.

Hats off to Roons!

Long may he rant!

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#13 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

A+ would read again, doesn't belong in the rant section though since it's actually useful

#14 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

I am going to guess that the official response is:

"We don't want to waste time, energy, of money repairing the old website as we are about to launch the new website."

Of course they have been using that line for what? 3 1/2 years already?

I am a big fan of The Beard, but the website is a huge fail on his record. I don't know shit about "scripts" or web development, but it can't be this difficult or take this long.

IF the argument is.... "It was really fucked up by the previous administration/development company and it has caused more delays" ..... then they lose all credibility. In my opinion there are times when you have to cut your losses and start over, that day was about the 10th day of the Reign of The Beard (I am going to give him 10 days grace period to realize the project was FUCKED the day he took over the keys to the kingdom).

I actually didn't get the keys to the kingdom until February 29, 2016, see the useless website for a hint at what I did that day to gain access. As we speak, having started over from complete scratch late last year, we are in final testing and bug fixes now. The non-tech folks are rewriting and updating content, including me. The useless website is an actual testament to how bad the entire organization had been neglected, and where we were headed. It's my baby now, and it's more than just a website.
  • Nimrod, NickBlasta and Crash like this

#15 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

I actually didn't get the keys to the kingdom until February 29, 2016, see the useless website for a hint at what I did that day to gain access. As we speak, having started over from complete scratch late last year, we are in final testing and bug fixes now. The non-tech folks are rewriting and updating content, including me. The useless website is an actual testament to how bad the entire organization had been neglected, and where we were headed. It's my baby now, and it's more than just a website.

don-t-tease-me-if-you-won-t-please-me.jp

• Stubb, peterthefish, Crash and 1 other like this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#16 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

The Beard casually whips out a mustache comb, coifs a bit of last night's burrito out of his mane and says, "Wait."

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#17 jay

jay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

It has been almost 18 months, why does it take so long to get a new website up and running?

Why did you wait until late last year to start replacing it?

I agree USPSA has been neglected, and needs to be fixed, but a website isn't that hard.

USPSA is more interested in allowing rifles to shoot in pistol matches and making up rules as you go along than doing what needs to be done.

I think getting a website done is easy and following the bylaws and rule book is easier.

• redrider likes this

#18 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

It has been almost 18 months, why does it take so long to get a new website up and running?

I agree USPSA has been neglected, and needs to be fixed, but a website isn't that hard.

USPSA is more interested in allowing rifles to shoot in pistol matches and making up rules as you go along than doing what needs to be done.

I think getting a website done is easy and following the bylaws and rule book is easier.

I think people who trivialize the hard work of others are cucking funts.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#19 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

Clearly you get all your news from here and still don't read or comprehend every word. The board meeting minutes give the website timeline. Anyone who has been paying attention knows the steps that have been taken. I've put out a lot of words about it here and elsewhere. Someday I hope to be able to tell the whole story. This is one, though a very important one, of the many tasks that we work on every day with tight resources and legacy issues. Anyone can pop up a website, but not with the functionality we require. The task at hand is much larger. I want it to work. Cleaning up years of bad business takes a lot of time. The website will release soon, but that just clears the way for the remaining tech needs which are also mission critical.

#20 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

This isn't "just a website". This is a complete redesign of our entire infrastructure to move us into the next phase of our business and customer service, and bring us up to the more current standards within IT, accounting, legal, communications, and marketing. We are doing all this while still making our other obligations, and weeding out some waste.
  • Stubb, Crash and jay like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users