#21 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

I actually didn't get the keys to the kingdom until February 29, 2016, see the useless website for a hint at what I did that day to gain access. As we speak, having started over from complete scratch late last year, we are in final testing and bug fixes now. The non-tech folks are rewriting and updating content, including me. The useless website is an actual testament to how bad the entire organization had been neglected, and where we were headed. It's my baby now, and it's more than just a website.

This (providing and finding a way to have busy people update content) is a central issue beyond the less visible critical work of making it all function, especially, I'm sure, updated information flow to users on organizational news, personal standing, and upcoming and past match info.  

It's interesting that it is in final testing and looking forward to the result.  If this new rollout does not do it, I hope in the future the USPSA website could provide a framework/template for subordinate entities, such as Areas, Sections and even clubs to provide some common information to shooters trying to access the sport.

#22 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

This (providing and finding a way to have busy people update content) is a central issue beyond the less visible critical work of making it all function, especially, I'm sure, updated information flow to users on organizational news, personal standing, and upcoming and past match info.

It's interesting that it is in final testing and looking forward to the result. If this new rollout does not do it, I hope in the future the USPSA website could provide a framework/template for subordinate entities, such as Areas, Sections and even clubs to provide some common information to shooters trying to access the sport.

That is part of the functionality.
  • Trigger Warning likes this

#23 jay

jay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

This isn't "just a website". This is a complete redesign of our entire infrastructure to move us into the next phase of our business and customer service, and bring us up to the more current standards within IT, accounting, legal, communications, and marketing. We are doing all this while still making our other obligations, and weeding out some waste.

I appreciate the clarification.

#24 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like the ball is being moved pretty far down the field you impatient web-starved bastards!

#25 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the update Mike. I know its frustrating when the fix is just around the corner. You definitely inherited a shit show. Your passion for our sport is apparent and your ownership of the issue is definitely appreciated.

It's my baby now, and it's more than just a website.

This speaks volumes to me. Leadership is always difficult as you will ALWAYS have critics. Mine is never of you, but directed towards the previous administration and their lack of caring. The forward direction items still stand in having tenets, a focus, and a long term plan besides just an update for the next 5 to 10 years. Apps will be the future; and one day websites, as we know them, will likely fall to the wayside as magazines. 

Good luck with it all and I'm excited to see what you have planned.

Just make sure its before July 2018.  <_<

• LeadChucker, peterthefish and Trigger Warning like this

"You can give it the old spin."

#26 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the update Mike. I know its frustrating when the fix is just around the corner. You definitely inherited a shit show. Your passion for our sport is apparent and your ownership of the issue is definitely appreciated.

This speaks volumes to me. Leadership is always difficult as you will ALWAYS have critics. Mine is never of you, but directed towards the previous administration and their lack of caring. The forward direction items still stand in having tenets, a focus, and a long term plan besides just an update for the next 5 to 10 years. Apps will be the future; and one day websites, as we know them, will likely fall to the wayside as magazines.

Good luck with it all and I'm excited to see what you have planned.

Just make sure its before July 2018. <_<

👍👍👍

#27 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

Good luck modernizing USPSA. You have a lot of work on your desk right now. 

But thanks/. 

#28 eBAG

eBAG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

Roons got me thinking. If the tech kids are not too far along, here is my idea for the new home page for USPSA:

Attached Files

#29 Dutchman195

Dutchman195

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

This might sound bad. But to play evils advocate. How many howler monkeys are gonna freak when you update the website and people dont know how to use it anymore. Just the fact that some clubs use the USPSA registration or squadding shows they aren't in touch with the young whipper-snappers of the sport. Hell, last month I had to physically send a check to some guys house because they didn't want to use the practiscore payment. 

I really like the practiscore integration idea. 

Also the things like 'where to buy gear' I'm sure there is some legal stuff that prevents uspsa from just putting shootersconnection on there....while I do think thats exact what they need.

#30 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Normal, minimally intelligent people figure out how to use new websites all the time.

As long as the 'essential' functions are not too hard to find I think it will be fine.
  • Peally likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#31 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

If someone can't figure out something as simple as a basic website reorganization I question their ability to put pants on in the morning.

If they don't figure it out, then I simply won't spend my $25 there. I'm not mailing freaking checks, this isn't 1991.

#32 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Roons got me thinking. If the tech kids are not too far along, here is my idea for the new home page for USPSA:

And you better click PCC because those other links are dead.
  • eBAG, ToddKS, GuanoLoco and 6 others like this

#33 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hell, last month I had to physically send a check to some guys house because they didn't want to use the practiscore payment. 

I would have told that guy to fuck right off.  

#34 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

And you better click PCC because those other links are dead.

Dayum! 8-D

#35 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

Is roons the original inventor of the term president McFuckpants, or was that a different poster bitching about the website?

#36 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Is roons the original inventor of the term president McFuckpants, or was that a different poster bitching about the website?

That was the user literally renamed to "McFuckPants"

#37 Shippj

Shippj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMonfuckingtana

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

. Hell, last month I had to physically send a check to some guys house because they didn't want to use the practiscore payment. 

Fuck those matches, we stopped accepting cash at our monthly 3-gun, cant do it at USPSA because the average age is higher and "the internets steal your money!".   We did get square readers and we take debit at the range but fuck dealing with cash.    Just what I want to do Monday morning, sit in line at the bank so I can deposit 80 dollars for the over 65 club that doesn't want to pay online.    Id rather you shoot for free, but then you would get free match fee and I would still have to hear about how the matches today are all "track races" and "those fault lines are not regulation, I almost tripped on one and threw my back out".

• redrider and racetaco like this

#38 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Cash is king.  FO.

• Scott and Buck Turgidson like this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#39 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Just got off Skype with Foley and the web team - the final holdup in testing is all matches will be paid in Bitcoin going forward no exceptions, just fine tuning the currency conversion algorithm and should be good to go. There was debate about allowing single stack to pay with green stamps but that was vetoed.

• peterthefish and TryHarder like this

#40 Shippj

Shippj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMonfuckingtana

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Cash is king.  FO.

You can pay in sheep, or goats, or gold dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users