Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Who is going?

Thoughts on stages (From descriptions)?

Bummer this is gonna be Ken Nelsons last Nationals. I sure do like his matches.
  • wchangose, Loliluvu3 and zapedKag like this

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Can't really tell yet, I'm trash at imagining what a stage will be like based on match book doodles.

#3 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

looks like a few hard shots, but usually when I freak out about no-shoots, they're really only 11 feet away.

I just look at the match book for the start positions and the schedule. The stages never actually look like I imagined them.

• Peally likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#4 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

The 11 feet away no-shoots are usually the ones I plug...

• Motosapiens likes this

#5 TryHarder

TryHarder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

Who is going?

Thoughts on stages (From descriptions)?

Bummer this is gonna be Ken Nelsons last Nationals. I sure do like his matches.

That is too bad. I have enjoyed every match of his that I have attended. 

#6 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

The stages never actually look like I imagined them.

That is a damn shame. I hope that the current President and BOD address this sooner that later. Accurate depiction of stages with appropriate scale of distances, and dotted lines indicating sectors visible from each shooting position. Ability to do a half or more of a walktrough  behind a glass of whiskey in a comfort of a home or in a bar full of like-minded people, depending on the mood and circumstances, would be a first class change, greatly improving sport's appeal and fun factor.

• WJM and Lloyd Christmas like this
Bonafide asshole

#7 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

That is a damn shame. I hope that the current President and BOD address this sooner that later. Accurate depiction of stages with appropriate scale of distances, and dotted lines indicating sectors visible from each shooting position. Ability to do a half or more of a walktrough  behind a glass of whiskey in a comfort of a home or in a bar full of like-minded people, depending on the mood and circumstances, would be a first class change, greatly improving sport's appeal and fun factor.

Yeah, they should have someone drop the stages into an Unreal editor, so we can actually walk and shoot the stages at home, naked and drunk.

#8 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:26 AM

I want to walk the actual stages using my Vive. As soon as the Website is unfucked making uspsa VR ready will happen. Seems realistic.
  • SlivGod, jst0915, Matt1 and 2 others like this

#9 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

I want to walk the actual stages using my Vive. As soon as the Website is unfucked making uspsa VR ready will happen. Seems realistic.

I think it would be a pretty sweet selling point for a match to do all stage designs in Sketchup and make the files available for shooters. Then you just need an autist to find a way to integrate those with Vive.

#10 Michel Neaucheutte

Michel Neaucheutte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

I think it would be a pretty sweet selling point for a match to do all stage designs in Sketchup and make the files available for shooters. Then you just need an autist to find a way to integrate those with Vive.

Area 8 did that this year (sharing the Sketchup files), which was cool. It was better than 2D stage diagrams, but nowhere near a replacement for walking the "as-built" stages.

#11 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

I wish everybody would do everything I want.
  • jakemartens, vluc, Mistadobalina and 4 others like this

On injured reserve.

#12 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

17 stages for a National Championship, some rambling about making the match more social. In 2014 this match was awesome, doesn't look like it will be this year.
Stages may be sweet but it needs to be 20 minimum. It seems that USPSA leadership is turning it into a hobby club for people with guns and lacking emphasis on putting on a good sporting competition.

#13 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

17 stages for a National Championship, some rambling about making the match more social. In 2014 this match was awesome, doesn't look like it will be this year.

For contrast, in 2014 it was 28 stages shot over 4 days, 7 per day, with a total of 574 shooters appearing in the results. (Some of those, including myself, shot the match over three days, during the pre-match.) Even with having a stage thrown out (which I don't remember hearing about at the time), the difference across 27 stages between first and second in Production as .6%.

I haven't heard the details, but the decision to make the match shorter and open up more slots sounds like it came from HQ.

#14 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Stages may be sweet but it needs to be 20 minimum.

- There is definitely something that we can figure out in 20 stages that we can't in 17.

- It is not a sport of skill, it is who still gives a fuck after shooting for four days straight kind of thing.

- St. George is such a fabulous place, four days not enough, we all want to stay there for one more day. Every Sunday night is a carnival.

- The more days we shoot, the higher are the chances that the super squad gets a diarrhea from that mobile food stand, leaving the field wide open.

- Gives Ken a sense of purpose when he rides that bike around the range for one more day in a year.

• Motosapiens likes this
Bonafide asshole

#15 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

For contrast, in 2014 it was 28 stages shot over 4 days, 7 per day, with a total of 574 shooters appearing in the results. (Some of those, including myself, shot the match over three days, during the pre-match.) Even with having a stage thrown out (which I don't remember hearing about at the time), the difference across 27 stages between first and second in Production as .6%.

I haven't heard the details, but the decision to make the match shorter and open up more slots sounds like it came from HQ.

I don't know how you'd make that conclusion. This is Ken's match, outsourced, he did everything we asked him to, and it was originally 18 stages shot over three days. HQ set very few parameters other than the required stuff. He knows what his venue, staff, and budget can handle. He is getting out of the major match business and we are getting out of the outsource model, except for multigun for another year.

#16 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

I don't know how you'd make that conclusion. This is Ken's match, outsourced, he did everything we asked him to, and it was originally 18 stages shot over three days. HQ set very few parameters other than the required stuff. He knows what his venue, staff, and budget can handle. He is getting out of the major match business and we are getting out of the outsource model, except for multigun for another year.

Interesting. Good to know. I was wrong. Not sure where I got the impression. But I appreciate the clarification!

#17 jay

jay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

17 stages doesn't seem like a Nationals match, more like an Area match.

is he going to charge $50 to park?

#18 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

IDPA nationals have 16 stages, with a 1-day option.

17 stages over 2 days would be more appealing, but then it will sound like an area match.

Maybe having 55 noshoots and 103 poppers in a 410-round match is a way to bring up the heat.  0.01% difference in 1st and 2nd place this year maybe?

#19 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Last I checked, one of the main job duties of the USPSA Pres was running Nationals. It is the job of USPSA to make Nationals a championship level competition. If it gets farmed out that's fine but expectations need to be communicated.

#20 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

I wish everybody would do everything I want.

Stop complaining.  You got the PCC, after all.

No one likes me, and I don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users