211 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

Last I checked, one of the main job duties of the USPSA Pres was running Nationals. It is the job of USPSA to make Nationals a championship level competition. If it gets farmed out that's fine but expectations need to be communicated.

Check, correct, thanks. I've seen Nats since 2002 or 2003, from 12-27 stages put on by USPSA and outsourced vendors. I've never heard of quantity determining quality until very recently. I'll wait until we get to Utah later this week to make my judgement, adjustments, etc. There are many considerations for each event, and we will continue to improve as we can. By the way, here are the Production Nats stage counts for recent years: Last year 19, year before 20, year before that 27, year before that 18. Think about it like this, 1/2 day format to get everyone in the match, means less stops. Full days equal longer matches in days, or less competitors. Less competitors or longer weeks equals higher price.
  • NickBlasta likes this

#22 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

17 stages doesn't seem like a Nationals match, more like an Area match.

is he going to charge $50 to park?

There will be two all steel stages available. Most of us will use them for function check and calibration. Those who can't stop bitching about 17 stages are welcome to shoot that steel at their heart's desire and submit self-recorded scores for a consideration.

Yes, parking is $50. As you enter the range, there will be a clearly marked vehicle parked with windows slightly rolled down. Write down your license plate number with a #2 pencil on your fitty and drop it in any window. Thank you.

• SlivGod, Gecko 46, Unibrain and 1 other like this
Bonafide asshole

#23 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

For contrast, in 2014 it was 28 stages shot over 4 days, 7 per day, with a total of 574 shooters appearing in the results. (Some of those, including myself, shot the match over three days, during the pre-match.) Even with having a stage thrown out (which I don't remember hearing about at the time), the difference across 27 stages between first and second in Production as .6%.

I haven't heard the details, but the decision to make the match shorter and open up more slots sounds like it came from HQ.

Maybe it was that stage that had the orange snow barrier of "soft cover" that you shot through at the targets....

#24 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

IDPA nationals have 16 stages, with a 1-day option.

17 stages over 2 days would be more appealing, but then it will sound like an area match.

Maybe having 55 noshoots and 103 poppers in a 410-round match is a way to bring up the heat.  0.01% difference in 1st and 2nd place this year maybe?

I'll be the first to say it, even though a bunch of you fucks are thinking it.....103 ways to get POPPER FUCKED!!!!

There, I said it.

Now, lets all show up with pitch forks and torches and take if those pesky poppers.

• richc2048 and MilkMyDuds like this

#25 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

This will be my first Nationals, so I'm quite pumped. Practicing head boxes out to 25 yards in the past week? Not so fun. 

I will also be flying in with my own booze, just in case Utah is as lame as people say.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#26 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Please wear this 2136493934_de1d868902_o.jpg
  • SlivGod, Mistadobalina, Peally and 1 other like this

#27 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

I've never heard of quantity determining quality until very recently. 

No kidding. what a bunch of whiny idiotic posts in this thread.

This will be my 5th nationals, and imho what makes nationals special is mostly the level of competition, but also the quality of the stages and organization. I didn't think the 4-day nationals was any better than the 3day nationals i've done, and I would rather do 1 less stage each day than have squads be behind all day and 3-minute walk-throughs and not getting off the range until 7pm.

I also remember whiners whining about the 4 day nats too. (wah, too long, too many rounds, i'm tired, my vajayjay is sore, waaaah!).

• wchangose, SlivGod, Matt1 and 2 others like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#28 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Check, correct, thanks. I've seen Nats since 2002 or 2003, from 12-27 stages put on by USPSA and outsourced vendors. I've never heard of quantity determining quality until very recently. I'll wait until we get to Utah later this week to make my judgement, adjustments, etc. There are many considerations for each event, and we will continue to improve as we can. By the way, here are the Production Nats stage counts for recent years: Last year 19, year before 20, year before that 27, year before that 18. Think about it like this, 1/2 day format to get everyone in the match, means less stops. Full days equal longer matches in days, or less competitors. Less competitors or longer weeks equals higher price.

I wish I could forget that part of my 20's too.

On injured reserve.

#29 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

No kidding. what a bunch of whiny idiotic posts in this thread.

This will be my 5th nationals, and imho what makes nationals special is mostly the level of competition, but also the quality of the stages and organization. I didn't think the 4-day nationals was any better than the 3day nationals i've done, and I would rather do 1 less stage each day than have squads be behind all day and 3-minute walk-throughs and not getting off the range until 7pm.

I also remember whiners whining about the 4 day nats too. (wah, too long, too many rounds, i'm tired, my vajayjay is sore, waaaah!).

Right on! Secret: USPSA membership is a camp divided, on nearly every detail. Yet somehow, we continue to crown national champions and fill matches and grow. Everyone wants nationals in their backyard, in their division, in their format, on their date, but not too close to their other date. Some dudes want to go back to 12 stages, and some don't think 24 is enough. Some people just want to know what else there is to do. The one thing blows my mind is those who are focused on what else there is to do. The nationals is what there is to do. I really don't give a damn if your wife and kids (or mom) enjoy the venue. I enjoy some of the things there are to do in Utah, Vegas, Florida, and even seem to have fun when we are at
PASA. I get that some of you use vacation time to do this, but keeping your wife happy is not really my concern. Here's a little tidbit for you, hotels generally tell us when we can have the nationals, and there are fewer ranges who have the support on the ground as far as infrastructure who actually know what a USPSA match looks like. There are lots of new, great ranges, who just don't have everything else we need. In the past, the range development program tends to leave us high and dry every two years. A single location won't make anyone happy. We will continue to provide a great Nationals, it'll never make everyone happy, me included.
  • (Sh)ItJustGotReal, chachacha, GuanoLoco and 6 others like this

#30 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

😂

#31 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Right on! Secret: USPSA membership is a camp divided, on nearly every detail. Yet somehow, we continue to crown national champions and fill matches and grow. Everyone wants nationals in their backyard, in their division, in their format, on their date, but not too close to their other date. Some dudes want to go back to 12 stages, and some don't think 24 is enough. Some people just want to know what else there is to do. The one thing blows my mind is those who are focused on what else there is to do. The nationals is what there is to do. I really don't give a damn if your wife and kids (or mom) enjoy the venue. I enjoy some of the things there are to do in Utah, Vegas, Florida, and even seem to have fun when we are at
PASA. I get that some of you use vacation time to do this, but keeping your wife happy is not really my concern. Here's a little tidbit for you, hotels generally tell us when we can have the nationals, and there are fewer ranges who have the support on the ground as far as infrastructure who actually know what a USPSA match looks like. There are lots of new, great ranges, who just don't have everything else we need. In the past, the range development program tends to leave us high and dry every two years. A single location won't make anyone happy. We will continue to provide a great Nationals, it'll never make everyone happy, me included.

FUCKING BOOM!!!

Awesome
  • GuanoLoco and Stranger Danger like this

#32 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

There was some GREAT quality that was ONLY discovered because of quantity!

#33 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

The one thing blows my mind is those who are focused on what else there is to do. The nationals is what there is to do. I really don't give a damn if your wife and kids (or mom) enjoy the venue.

Yepper. My wife is working a stage for the early match and shooting the late match. We can go to Zion when we're old.

#34 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Yepper. My wife is working a stage for the early match and shooting the late match. We can go to Zion when we're old.

It is awesome.

#35 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

It is awesome.

you must be old.  ;)

#36 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

you must be old. ;)

Relative.

#37 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

You're both old.

#38 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Zion is awesome, old or not. Best plan is to con your competition into doing a quick run up Angels' Landing before the match.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#39 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

We can go to Zion when we're old.

You're old now. Go now.

IMG_0010-XL.jpg

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#40 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

meh. it sounds crowded. we have ridden dirtbikes and mtb's in some pretty spectacular country without all the tourist busses and crap.

Attached File  DSCF1042-small.jpg   127.15KB   36 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users