90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Or just a "No duh" dummy?!?!? 

First... Yes.. I"m a noob... 

Second..  USPSA in general is "Enter-Trainment" for me.. as might be a class, as I've heard it put in the pod cast;  I am not super hardcore about this as of yet. However, I like to get the best information as possible, and honestly Ben's pod cast has been huge in that regard.. 

One of the things, I've noticed when watching the super serious guys is the level of control of recoil they have over the gun while running it fast. One of the things that's ALWAYS mentioned is "You have to grip the shit out of the gun"  ok.. I think I am able to do that.. I'm  a big guy... I've got some big paws.. well.. doing that and doing the little dry fire I would do I couldn't ever TRULY get the sights to be steady while working the trigger. 

Since I'm a very visual learner.. I've watched Vogel's grip video, and any other I can find.. I try and repeat that.. and still the same result.. From a fundamental front.. I "should" have been fine.. Low and behold.. Change some things around.. Which for me was not using as much pressure on my strong hand thumb has settled the sights. Granted.. I will need to practice.. which will most likely come the next time I'm told to "make ready" for a stage.. But I think this was kind of an "Ah-Ha" moment.. As dumb as that may sound... 

• Surfer, AR10Shooter and zapedKag like this

#2 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Love AH-HA moments.

#3 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

the only thing your strong hand thumb does is work the safety and the mag button, other than that, you don't need one

#4 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

You sure as hell do, how else are you going to do the whole post-run "who shot 5 mikes... THIS guy!" thing with one thumb?

• NickBlasta, ralloway and 90lxracer like this

#5 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

You sure as hell do, how else are you going to do the whole post-run "who shot 5 mikes... THIS guy!" thing with one thumb?

This is actually pretty funny...  My first stage, in my first USPSA match ever was the classifier "It's not Brain Surgery" and I did exactly that! lol  5- mikes and 1 charlie.. (death stocker!! level!!)

I just thought.. What the hell am I doing?!?!? It looks so easy on YouTube! lol  But I did end up finishing middle third.. No DQ and didn't finish last.. so, I was good.. lol

#6 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Get the fundamentals down (like grip) and you'll rocket to the top of the boards.

#7 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Grip as hard as you can, then grip it harder. A key moment for me was listening to Ben in his Foundations video saying something like "I tear the flesh off my strong hand". 

• ralloway and 90lxracer like this

"You can give it the old spin."

#8 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Grip as hard as you can, then grip it harder. A key moment for me was listening to Ben in his Foundations video saying something like "I tear the flesh off my strong hand". 

I actually have that DVD, and you're right.. I think it's before that grip section, is when he shoots retardo fast and the damn gun seemingly doesn't move..  I was just thinking DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol 

#9 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Grip as hard as you can, then grip it harder..."I tear the flesh off my strong hand". 

Phrasing!

#10 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

Well... I was told to load and make ready today..  I did dry fire a for about 5-10 this morning before I went to the match.. so it was time to put the grip thing to the test.. 

Well, I'll be damned.. it worked! Granted.. I'm still nice and slow.. and I got to also find out how sensitive a CZ mage are to dust. First couple of stages went pretty well.. Gun ran clean.. the new pointy thumb thing was working..  I was even scored a double! On a man tap thingy... First I'd seen something like that.. 

Then the grit.. then the feeding issues.. and whammy... 

I finished with 50% of the winner .. In a hoser match.. it was wild.. But plenty of things to ponder until the next time I'm told to make ready under a range officer's commands.. 

I know the idea in my head did play out as I thought.. but I know that my weak hand grip would soften a bit, and I know I wasn't disciplined  about keeping my grip a stage progressed. to bad... I don't think I'll be able to get around that without actual practice...  an whammy again... 

#11 Dennis Solarsky

Dennis Solarsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

I had one of these grip ah-ha moments about a month or go after watching some Vogel vids. I noticed that he kinda holds his arms a little more "winged out" than most. Now I have always been a little on the faster side but accuracy was always the issue. So rather than slow down..I'd rather be able to shoot more accurate at the speed I know I can shoot. He said something in one of the vids about how he tourqes down on the top of the slide "closer to the bore axis the better right", if u get you're normal grip...keep the elbows bent slightly like u should, than just lift the elbows a little bit, it causes a much greater amount of pressure on the tops of you're hands. Allowing you to gain a lot more control over the gun and not have to gorrila grip it and loose that smooth quick trigger pull. Been trying to engrave the new "style" grip into the brain for a bit now and it has made a huge improvement on my accuracy at speed. Definitely worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users