#1 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

I have slots open for TWO 2-day Skills and Drills classes to be held Monday-Tuesday 10/23-24 and Wednesday-Thursday 10/25-26, respectively.

The classes will be held at the Brocks Gap Training Center, a very nice range: http://www.brocksgap.com

Cost is $550 which includes a $50 range utilization fee

If you are looking for small group shooting that will not only improve your competitive shooting skills but also teach you HOW to effectively train in live fire in the future. Ben also provides a plan for what you need to work on next.

I've taken a number of classs from a number of instructors, including Skills and Drills. This is as good as it gets.

PM me if you are interested.

-GL

PRACTICAL SHOOTING SKILLS AND DRILLS

This is a "how to train" class. Whatever level you are at, at the end of the class you should have a good idea of how to get to the next level. We work through a variety of drills from "Skills and Drills" and shoot stages.

This class features difficult scenario style drills and very little fundamental practice. The emphasis in this class is on learning how to do live fire practice sessions.

This is a class that is best done with a smaller group. I also strongly recommend that you have done a Fundamentals class before moving on to this one.

Skills-Drills-2__15850.1433787757.1280.1
  • zapedKag and el.kuglov1953 like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#2 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the interest so far.  

I still have slots open for both classes in Birmingham, AL: Monday-Tuesday 10/23-24 and Wednesday-Thursday 10/25-26, respectively.

-GL

In Doodie, Veritas.

#3 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

I will be there, gumming up the process and being socially awkward.

#4 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

I will be there, gumming up the process and being socially awkward.

You will fit right in.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#5 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

If you guys can move this to Raleigh and do it tomorrow and cater the curriculum to open I'm in!

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Send Paypal Gift for $3000 (or Paypal +3%) and we'll be there tomorrow ready cater to your every need.  

Promise.

Or get in you car and roll over here.  I'd love to meet you FTF.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#7 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

This would be pretty sweet.. 

I'd love to sign up.. my schedule is complete choas at the moment.. 

It'd be a cool road trip.. 

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hell yeah id enjoy shooting with those guys!

#9 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

What's the after action report!?

#10 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Fundamentals Sat-Sun. I ended up shooting with a class of 11-12 Sat, and Sun we had 2 no shows for 10. We ran 2 bays, each with 2 drills and a 3rd bay for a stage. We started with line shooting and moved to increasingly speed oriented drills. After a half day of this (class skill level is the gating factor) we started alternating between 4 drills and the stage.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a Fundamentals class - Ben’s style, focus, drills and efficiency continue to improve. I completely believe that a shooter of any level would benefit from this class - experts have really solid fundamentals.

For me? I feel I’ve made substantial improgement since my last class, BUT: Continue focus on basics - pulling the trigger straight at higher and higher levels of speed, distance and expectation. Gripping the gun as hard as I can. Looking to the center of the target. Sight discipline and not getting excited and squirting an extra bullet at a target when not required. Making the next target pull my gun to it on stages. Running stages more consistently - still too many errors, especially when pushing the envelope of my speed vs. skills.

On the bright side I was hitting Accelerator in 5.5s ish times, was pleased with my improvements in transitions, movement, shooting on the move and strong/weak hand shooting. I could hit some decent stage times but tend to start slow then get faster. Consistency needs to be another goal.

Everyone was sore and tired afterwards... Round count probably went around 1500. Happy students!

Skills and Drills 1 just completed - classes got imbalanced and this short class of 3 apparently went crazy and shot 2400 rounds each over 2 days. 2 male sisters from my local krewe and a ute who apparently kicked some butt on at least one of them.

Tomorrow: Skills and Drills class #2 starts with 6 students including me. Trying to get a good night’s sleep - I felt good last night but am unusually sore and aching 2nd half of today - not sure what’s up; hoping I’m not coming down with something. I badly want to make the most of the next 2 days,
  • Stubb and Trigger Warning like this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

I survived day 1 of Skills & Drills. 7 students (1 last minute surprise) includng me. Ben has no issue keeping us busy.

I learned CCI OEM primers are even harder than Fiocchi’s - causing light strikes. Not sure I can set them any deeper. Went to the 14 lb Wolff hammer spring and went back tot he Fiocchis for class.

I am plugging no shoots on the second shot (low hit) even more efficiently that I have in the past. Huge recurring issue. I see the sights where I want them then push that second shot down and am completely surprised each an every time. Killing myself.

Trigger control and grip still needs some work - groups open up at speed with any issue in grip or sometimes eyes. Still pulling a % of shots low left. Ben claims he is spending 30% of his time on such drills - clearly I don’t spend enough time.

More competition in this class than Fundamentals but still a good spread of skills levels and brackgrounds. It helps to be 10-20 years younger but nothing I can do abut that other than to try to out-work them.

Awesome spicy california roll and ramen bowl with pork belly for dinner. Too much though - over-ate and almost didn’t survive dinner.

I hope I got enough sleep - feeling rough this AM.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#12 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the report. Ben is coming to Oz in January so there's a bunch of us looking forward to his class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Update I’ve been working updates to my dry fire routine based on class feedback. MUCH more focus on crushing weak hand grip, modest strong hand grip with lots of fast trigger action (think Bill Drill / ‘Can You Count’), gripping properly after draws and reloads. Grip issues were a persistent theme - there was a large difference in the drills when my grip was solid vs. sloppy.

Working on trigger control slow/at speed and refusing to accept that little bit of front sight waggle. DA & SA. I don’t think I was terrible here but there was definite room for improvement. I have always thought my trigger control was ‘good enough’ but learned I was sadly mistaken. I have now set a much higher bar for myself.

Also, I ordered a set of Patriot Defense Palm Swell Grips under Ben’s proposed solution to his theory that part of my problem if not having enough grip surface for my XL hands. I have considered this several times before but hate the idea of giving up my Scale 2.0 grips.
  • Will and Trigger Warning like this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#14 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

This was some alien language shit til you got to the part about upgrading equipment - now me comprendo!

• Matt1 likes this

#15 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

Funny thing - I was having light strikes on change from Fiocch deep seated (0.005-0.009”) primers to OEM CCI primers. Changed from Pat Def spring to 14 lb uncut Wolff spring. Change in performance = zero. Ben was shooting a smooth but stupid heavy trigger - and beating our asss like a drum.

Conclusion: Technique and practice trump equipment all day long.

So, who’s got the best hammer/firing pin spring combo that will light off CCI’s? A Gear Queer wants to know.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#16 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:37 AM

Glock
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#17 prodecock

prodecock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Funny thing - I was having light strikes on change from Fiocch deep seated (0.005-0.009”) primers to OEM CCI primers. Changed from Pat Def spring to 14 lb uncut Wolff spring. Change in performance = zero. Ben was shooting a smooth but stupid heavy trigger - and beating our asss like a drum.
Conclusion: Technique and practice trump equipment all day long.
So, who’s got the best hammer/firing pin spring combo that will light off CCI’s? A Gear Queer wants to know.

I’m assuming you’re shooting a Tanfoglio Stock II, as I can only comment on that gun. My setup which was reliable with CCI’s 100% was Patriot Defense 13 pound hammer spring and Patriot Defense firing pin & spring. Also important is a very detailed polish. Mirror finish.

If you want a breakdown of all the parts, let me know. Highly recommend Joe at Patriot Defense if you want to order a match gun that’s all worked over already. I’ve done all the work myself on multiple Tanfos and it’s a pain in the ass.

#18 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Stock parts and these springs (14lb hammer spring) and polish job. I’m happy with the results and lights off cci all day. And I’m coming from a 1-1/2lb Trigger with a super short reset. Stock sear. Only thing I really desire is a shorter reset but I figure I should just shoot more and get over being a trigger snob. About 700 rounds in all cci all went pew. I actually never ended up installing the trigger return spring either. Not sure how much different that makes.

Attached Files

#19 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Firing pin doesn’t matter much. I ran stock, Henning, and PD and I never found reliability increases with light hammer springs and hard primers: the stock pin or an aftermarket one resulted in the same % of light strikes. Save your money.

I don’t know what else is in your gun, but mine ate a steady diet of CCI *MAGNUM* primers with an EGD Medium hammer spring installed.

The Medium spring is around 16lbs and is likely what his smith put in Ben’s guns judging by how his trigger felt to me.

Titan / BOLO / 1 pc sear and all the PD springs along with that hammer spring? I could run any ammo I wanted in the gun with a 6.2lb DA trigger and 2.75 SA.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#20 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'm running Xtreme Medium hammer springs now, they definitely hit harder than PD 15.5's.  

I think I may may have had a problem with CCI seating depth on 1050 - found an issue with swagesense screws were backing out and I have also ordered a primer back-up die.

In Doodie, Veritas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users