Photo

RO Lectures - Save the "might happen" lectures and do your job.

uspsa ro range officer nroi

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter.Mcgrooter

Scooter.Mcgrooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'll preface this by saying I am a card-carrying range officer, match director, club president, and open master. This isn't new territory. (Posting on this forum is, I mean in the actual-real-life-real-world place). Evidently it's a breach of etiquette to post something like this before making an assload of posts first. Apologies.

I recently shot a level 2 match and the first stage we shot had a somewhat elderly CRO running the shooters, and proceeded to give each of us a little lecture. Here's what happened:

I finish shooting, remove the magazine, rack the slide and WATCH THE ROUND EXIT THE CHAMBER and catch it (as I've done for a couple years, I'm not going to debate the merits of this here). I then hold the slide open for the RO to verify. He looks at it, says "if clear hammer down" and then says "You need to look too". So I stare at him blankly for a moment, tilt the gun slightly, stare at my chamber, tilt it back for him to look again. He then finishes the command and gives me the following advice:

"See, if you had a broken extractor and there was still a round in the gun it would go off when you drop the hammer and you'd be going home". Being the wanna-be professional I am, I stare at him for a moment again and say "thank you". 

As an RO you don't need to tell me about all the possibilities that MIGHT occur in a given situation. I'm sure there is a situation that could occur where this lecture may have been appropriate, but the fact that this guy said this to EVERYONE on our squad indicates to me that he's one of these RO's that has some perceived pet-peeve or other safety concern that he's the only person in the sport smart enough to realize, and decides he's going to "correct" every shooter he runs. Don't be that RO. Make your comments or safety concerns at the appropriate times (like after completing the range commands) if and when they arise. Don't decide ahead of time what your "lecture of the day" is going to be regardless of whether or not it actually applies in the situation.

All that said, I do have sincere appreciation for everyone that works a major match. It's a lot of work, and without it this sport wouldn't work. You don't need to make it harder by adding un-needed lectures for all the shooters.

*I went back and watched the Gopro footage and he didn't interrupt the command sequence as bad as I recalled, so I updated this to reflect more closely what happened.

• wchangose, vluc, GooldMember and 1 other like this

#2 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Moderately annoying, maybe doesn't understand the Operator you are.

Anything other than "Make Ready" before is a problem...when people are in the zone.

• RMJack likes this
I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#3 gLocKsuCker69

gLocKsuCker69

dumbass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationAnywhere a falling P320 is not

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Well said. Couldn't agree more. When I took the RO course the instructor said that the shooter should show you clear and that you should look but it's up to the competitor to look if he wants. That's why the command is "IF CLEAR, hammer down, holster" it's ultimately up to the competitor to make sure the gun doesn't go bang when he goes hammer down. However no one gives a shit if you look or don't look.

Sucks when people have an agenda. Sucks even more when they try to push that agenda in the middle of a COF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • vluc and Scooter.Mcgrooter like this

#4 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

ROs that do double duty as soothsayers are fucking obnoxious.

• CH3NO2 and Scooter.Mcgrooter like this

#5 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

This isn't new territory.

5 posts?!?

This IS new territory.

More importantly, do you like movies about gladiators?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#6 3gundago

3gundago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

no intro but you have time to bitch-moan and complain?  GTFO!

• GooldMember and racetaco like this

#7 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

I'll preface this by saying I am a card-carrying range officer, match director, club president, and open master. This isn't new territory.

I recently shot a level 2 match and the first stage we shot had a somewhat elderly CRO running the shooters, and proceeded to give each of us a little lecture. Here's what happened:

I finish shooting, remove the magazine, rack the slide and WATCH THE ROUND EXIT THE CHAMBER and catch it (as I've done for a couple years, I'm not going to debate the merits of this here). I then hold the slide open for the RO to verify. He looks at it, and then says "You need to look too". So I stare at him blankly for a moment, tilt the gun slightly, stare at my chamber, tilt it back for him to look again. Before finishing the COF by giving me the "if clear, hammer down, holster" command, he begins with the following lecture: (which isn't quoted word for word, but the essence is the same)

"See, if you had a broken extractor and there was still a round in the gun it would go off when you drop the hammer and you'd be going home". Being the wanna-be professional I am, I stare at him for a moment again and say "thank you". I went ahead and dropped my hammer, holstered my gun and locked the holster... he started to wander off to score targets before completing the sequence and clearing the range, which is another reason not to interrupt the end of stage command sequence.

As an RO you don't need to tell me about all the possibilities that MIGHT occur in a given situation. I'm sure there is a situation that could occur where this lecture may have been appropriate, but the fact that this guy said this to EVERYONE on our squad indicates to me that he's one of these RO's that has some perceived pet-peeve or other safety concern that he's the only person in the sport smart enough to realize, and decides he's going to "correct" every shooter he runs. Don't be that RO. Make your comments or safety concerns at the appropriate times (like after completing the range commands) if and when they arise. Don't decide ahead of time what your "lecture of the day" is going to be regardless of whether or not it actually applies in the situation.

All that said, I do have sincere appreciation for everyone that works a major match. It's a lot of work, and without it this sport wouldn't work. You don't need to make it harder by adding un-needed lectures for all the shooters.

Flip and Catch....oh Boy, where have I heard this before???

#8 Scooter.Mcgrooter

Scooter.Mcgrooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

no intro but you have time to bitch-moan and complain?  GTFO!

I guess I'll fill out and application and stock up on a few thousand asinine comments before I chime in again. I beg your forgiveness, I spend too much time actually shooting and contributing to this sport to study and understand the intricate web of ethics and etiquette involved in these forums evidently.

• lpc, Loaded605 and eyesopenedatlast like this

#9 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

I think on most field courses I'll outrun the RO and when I finish and rack out the round they aren't quite there with me. I'm pulling the trigger and holstering when they finally step up and are saying the commands. There's always one of them that says "no, SHOW clear" and I have to open the gun again after I've tossed it into my holster. :mellow:

#10 PupTown

PupTown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

I know this is Doodie, and this is the Rant section.

But you girls coming here to bitch about every little perceived micro-agression need to harden the fuck up.  If someone does something you don't like, either tell them on the spot (which you pussies never do), or shrug it off and never mention it to anyone.

• BenB likes this

#11 Scooter.Mcgrooter

Scooter.Mcgrooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

5 posts?!?

This IS new territory.

More importantly, do you like movies about gladiators?

Hey, I save up what I have to say and write essays I guess. Yeah, I have been "informed" of my breach of etiquette. I guess I'm supposed to go around and buy everyone beer here first or something. Sorry, I have lousy social skills, especially on the internet. And I guess I like gladiator movies? I do feel as though I've just been released into a Colosseum and the lions are about to come out so maybe that's what you're referencing there...

#12 Scooter.Mcgrooter

Scooter.Mcgrooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

But you girls coming here to bitch about every little perceived micro-agression need to harden the fuck up.  If someone does something you don't like, either tell them on the spot (which you pussies never do), or shrug it off and never mention it to anyone.

Or I came on here to give a suggestion to other RO's on how not to annoy shooters. In any other situation I'd tell him exactly what I thought, but in the middle of a major match I'm going to shrug it off and worry about it later and focus on the task at hand. Thanks for the advice dad. By the way, you complaining about someone ranting in the rant section is kind of doing what you just complained about. I'm SURE you are hard-fuck bro that doesn't get on the internet to tell people what you think though.

• Flexmoney and Stranger Danger like this

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:27 AM

Hey, I save up what I have to say and write essays I guess. Yeah, I have been "informed" of my breach of etiquette. I guess I'm supposed to go around and buy everyone beer here first or something. Sorry, I have lousy social skills, especially on the internet. And I guess I like gladiator movies? I do feel as though I've just been released into a Colosseum and the lions are about to come out so maybe that's what you're referencing there...

I read your intro post. You 'guess' you like movies about gladiators and you shoot Open. That pretty much clears things up.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#14 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:58 AM

He looks at it, says "if clear hammer down" and then

And then he wouldn't have time to finish saying "you have to look" because the slide and hammer would have already dropped, gun would be in the holster and I'd be walking off.

Life's too short to listen to dipshits

• gLocKsuCker69 likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#15 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

I think I know this CRO. Did this happen in Florida?

If not, we have the same type. This guy will not shut up about what may happen, what he knows, who he knows, and what you are doing wrong. At one point, after the MR command, I asked him to please be quiet - he could not shut up. I now refuse to squad with him and prefer not to attend a shoot if he happens to end up in my squad.

#16 CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

If not, we have the same type. This guy will not shut up about what may happen, what he knows, who he knows, and what you are doing wrong. At one point, after the MR command, I asked him to please be quiet - he could not shut up. I now refuse to squad with him and prefer not to attend a shoot if he happens to end up in my squad.

i think USPSA issues one of those RO/CRO guys to every state

• GuanoLoco, Blueeyedme, peterthefish and 1 other like this
NITRO
Nitromethane, nitrous oxide, nitrocellulose ....3 of my favorite things
To be sure of hitting the target , shoot 1st and call what ever u hit the target.

#17 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Yeah great idea, tell the retard RO he's a retard at a major you just blew wads of cash to get to.

#18 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

We had a local guy of the same caliber and I've learned that the match director is the one to be informed of this dumbass. You better get them on him before it gets totally out of hand and someone goes off on him during a match
  • RLV65 likes this

#19 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

If you get a fuckstick for an RO, the best conversation to be had is with the MD... unless he was the fuckstick in question... that presents 2 other possibilities.

• Jiw275 likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#20 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

meh. I've got a match to shoot. If the occasional RO wants to be a doofus, I just shrug it off.

Now if it's someone at our local club, where I have some responsibility for the match, I may engage in some constructive correction and training, but at someone else's range, it's someone else's problem. Maybe it'll throw some of the fragile guys in my division off their game, lol.

• praetorian97 and PupTown like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uspsa, ro, range officer, nroi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users