12 replies to this topic

#1 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

Let's talk about springs.  Specifically, Glock springs.

I wound up in this rabbit hole because I was looking at trigger kits for the Glock 35.  The general quasi-consensus seemed to be DK Custom, which was great.  But then Sweet T said something about "(replaced somewhat frequently)" with regards to the striker springs and this confused and frightened me. 

While attempting to figure out a definition for "somewhat frequently", I learned that sometimes the trigger return spring also breaks?  And that this is more common with a) a lightened trigger and B) Glocks chambered in .40?  And then I started counting the various springs, and when I got to Too Many Fucking Springs I stopped and posted this instead.

My G19 has north of 20K rounds through it and almost six months of daily dry-fire.  The only time it stops running is when I don't clean it for a shameful period of time.  I have done nothing to the springs.  I want to do nothing to the springs in my new gat.  If I must, though, I would rather do something to the springs than have it stop working.

Doodie, teach me about springs so that I can use this knowledge to move forward with my pending tricked-out Glockicorn, i.e. this:

53d8094f79ae23ef7148890cb31cde48--keep-d

(At the moment I'm leaning towards the DK Custom trigger kit, but I'm coming from a stock G19 trigger that induced the Mr. Yuk face in MFCEO, so anything will be a vast improvement.  In order, my desires are 1) pops any primer, 2) service life of parts, 3) actual trigger improvement.  Halp.)

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

I've yet to have my stock VP9 springs hold me back whatsoever; stock springs aren't going to stop you from having precious .16 splits. Just a disclaimer because people that play the "what springs" game and have half working guns annoy the hell out of me since they're more focused on fixing things than shooting and gitting gud.

Trigger return spring every 10K rounds.

Other springs (like recoil spring) every 20K rounds.

If you shoot like a normal person that's roughly a TRS every year and a recoil spring every couple years. If you shoot a metric fuckton of rounds a year lower those time expectations.

YMMV

• racetaco likes this

#3 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

All new factory Glock springs once a year because they are cheap and reliable. And switch to Glock minus connectors. (can't use aftermarket parts for GSSF) Also grip tape and GOOD SIGHTS that's all. Trying to make a Glock something it's not is dumb. Endlessly swapping parts never ends, a world class trigger just isn't needed for action games. Rock solid fundamentals and practice, that is the magic not gear.
Don't be the dude racking his slide two or three times every COF because is light strikes then taking his gun apart at the safe table when he should be helping with stage reset.

#4 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

I've yet to have my stock VP9 springs hold me back whatsoever; stock springs aren't going to stop you from having precious .16 splits. Just a disclaimer because people that play the "what springs" game and have half working guns annoy the hell out of me since they're more focused on fixing things than shooting and gitting gud.

Trigger return spring every 10K rounds.

Other springs (like recoil spring) every 20K rounds.

If you shoot like a normal person that's roughly a TRS every year and a recoil spring every couple years. If you shoot a metric fuckton of rounds a year lower those time expectations.

YMMV

This is about what I was thinking, based on my reading.  Really helpful, thank you; someone give this man a warning point.

And I don't plan to fuck around with springs for the sake of fucking around with springs, but I do want to do a trigger kit in the G35.  Swapping the sights was a gateway drug.  #SlowMarchTowardsGamerScumhood

All new factory Glock springs once a year because they are cheap and reliable. And switch to Glock minus connectors. (can't use aftermarket parts for GSSF) Also grip tape and GOOD SIGHTS that's all. Trying to make a Glock something it's not is dumb. Endlessly swapping parts never ends, a world class trigger just isn't needed for action games. Rock solid fundamentals and practice, that is the magic not gear.
Don't be the dude racking his slide two or three times every COF because is light strikes then taking his gun apart at the safe table when he should be helping with stage reset.

I did fiber sights on both the G19 and G21, but I'm leaving them otherwise untouched; those will stay my main GSSF guns.  The G35 is going to be for USPSA Limited, IDPA ESP, and GSSF Unlimited.  Regardless, high probability that I won't be competitive in GSSF anymore sometime this month due to needing to get gooder enough to play with the masters. 

My plan was/is to win this gun in GSSF, make IDPA Expert, and then get a USPSA membership and see if I can classify above Derp.  I promise I'm not blaming my suck on the trigger, this is just for fun.

• Peally and racetaco like this

#5 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

I have developed a proprietary spring for the FRC SUPER-Glock that will outlast the gun and allow for fully adjustable pre and over-travel as well as pull weight down to 12 ounces. All while being 100% reliable, popping even the hardest primers. It also resets itself so you can dry fire more easily.

Of course this took considerable investment in time and hi tech military grade materials that are quite expensive. The FRC shop is just spinning up production as I recently hired some Filipino Ghost gun builders, but I can put you on the wait list if you will send a $100.00 non refundable deposit.

Taran, Tori and Bob are using the prototype now and have nothing but great things to say about them.

• GuanoLoco, peterthefish, Peally and 2 others like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#6 Beef

Beef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Change recoil spring to lighter, change trigger spring to heavier, leave striker spring alone. Yeah it makes a difference, but anything under 4.5 is unreliable and even those go to shit in a couple thousand rounds. Or leave them all alone and enjoy a gun that just works and laugh at the spring guys.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

#7 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

If I did it over, I would just buy the trigger bar from DK and buy the springs in bulk and do a polish job and be done with it.  

I replace striker springs before the end of their life cycle because they are cheap insurance.  Every 5-7K rounds maybe.  

I've never broken a TRS.  It's once of the few parts I haven't broken in a glock.

#8 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Change recoil spring to lighter, change trigger spring to heavier, leave striker spring alone. Yeah it makes a difference, but anything under 4.5 is unreliable and even those go to shit in a couple thousand rounds. Or leave them all alone and enjoy a gun that just works and laugh at the spring guys.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

4# striker spring is shit and there is no reason to ever use one

4.5# lasts a pretty long time, IME, and pops any primer provided it is properly seated

#9 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

So here is the blueprint for you Glock trigger neophytes:

DK custom trigger bar 

Wolff extra power trigger spring (optional) I do not use this personally 

Connector of your choosing (TTI, Glock OEM minus, Zev, whatever.)

Wolff 4.5# striker spring

Wolff reduced power striker plunger spring

polish all the metal-to-metal contact points (google 25 cent trigger job)

Done.  Enjoy your entirely adequate Glock trigger for many rounds to come.

• Beef likes this

#10 MNshooter

MNshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis/St. Paul

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Playing with the recoil spring made a noticeable difference.

Playing with the trigger was a waste of time but since you're not going to listen anyway, buy any of the common kits and replace springs annually.

Do this for about a year and then buy a metal gun and start the learning curve all over again.

#11 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

If you have a Gen 3 you need a minus connector, 4.5# striker spring, extra power trigger return spring and cut the safety plunger spring in half.

If you have a Gen 4 you need a minus connector, 4.5# striker spring with the STOCK trigger return spring or 5# striker spring with an extra power return spring and cut the safety plunger spring in half.

Adjusting for over travel is a real improvement.  You can get a ejector block that has this adjustment.

You will get about 90% of the improvement in your trigger from the striker spring and about 9% of the improvement from the ejector block. 

All this for $50.

But feel free to waste your money on a bunch of kits.

• Linkscoach likes this

I am an inventor and Firearms Industry Subject Matter Expert. 

#12 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Pffft.  So much for Glock Perfection™.

• Fishyjoe likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#13 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • barry owens likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users