Photo

Is Steel Challenge the Dregs of Action Shooting??

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Or is this even considered action shooting?? 

Shot my first steel challenge match over the weekend.. Which in the grand scheme of my shooting experience is my 7th or 8th match... having only heard of this stuff in March or April of this year.

Anyway... I ended up winning my division. (limited) and 8th overall behind the rimfire optics, and pcc people.. I think there was one person that finished ahead of me that had actual iron sights on their gun... 

I know I'm not fast.. so really I am a bit puzzled.. 

Do *real* shooters stay away from steel challenge? Is it just area dependent? (which I'm guessing is the case) 

I looked the stuff on youtube after the fact, and there are some silly fast people out there.. But are these people only doing this? 

I mean, I thought it was cool, but if the stages are the same every time.. I can see it getting boring really quick. 

From a USPSA match perspective, would the best approach to these types of match be to look at it as decent practice for draw consistancy and quick transition work? 

• zapedKag likes this

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

Depends on who shows up. You can easily win a local USPSA match as a C class too if everyone else is worse.

Apparently at some point record speeds were established for each steel challenge stage. Whether that means they regularly shoot it or just showed up that one day I don't know. I do know it's not as popular as USPSA or IDPA.

#3 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

There is absolutely no difference. Stand in one place. Repeat repetitive movements consistently as quickly as possible. Woohooo for muscle memory!

"You can give it the old spin."

#4 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

There is absolutely no difference. Stand in one place. Repeat repetitive movements consistently as quickly as possible. Woohooo for muscle memory!

Now how bad can that be for things like nailing your draw? That's something that will translate over ot more dynamic shooting courses of fire I would htink..  I get it though.. and even after doing it once, I see what you're saying. 

#5 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

probably varies by area. around here we have some pretty serious heat in the rimfire divisions (world and national champion heat), but the centerfire divisions while popular, are not as competitive. Still, it's an easy way to get some live-fire for $3 on a monday or wednesday evening, so the matches are popular. I would never choose a steel challenge match over a uspsa match if there were a schedule conflict.

Steel challenge is imho a very good way to get your feet wet in competitive shooting, and it will seriously shorten your learning curve.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#6 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

Now how bad can that be for things like nailing your draw? That's something that will translate over ot more dynamic shooting courses of fire I would htink..  I get it though.. and even after doing it once, I see what you're saying. 

I did Steel Challenge when first starting out with the same idea - more practice with draw and transitions. However, like you can see, it becomes apparent its more about muscle memory and consistent reps if you want to be competitive in Steel Challenge.

I figured I'd get more value out of dry firing instead of going to a Steel Challenge match.

"You can give it the old spin."

#7 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

Most people don't dry fire, especially when they start, so it's probably not a bad place to start now that Moto mentions it.

#8 Area 51

Area 51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationClovis, Commifornia

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

As others have said, it's great draw and target acquisition practice. Makes you focus on your front sight. I have found it makes stars and plate racks less intimidating. I always ask the RO to give me my first shot time.

USPSA # TY81578, ICORE # CA3002

Limited, Limited 10 - CZ 75 Tactical Sport "C" class

Revolver - S&W 627 V-Comp "B" class

Single Stack - PARA Pro Comp 40 "C" class

Carry Optics - CZ SP01 w/Burris Fastfire 3

Open - 

3-Gun - Glock 35, Mossberg 930JM, AR 15 Custom Build

#9 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

As others have said, it's great draw and target acquisition practice. Makes you focus on your front sight. I have found it makes stars and plate racks less intimidating. I always ask the RO to give me my first shot time.

That's a good idea... then.. goal?? 1 sec from surrender? 

#10 warpspeed

warpspeed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

It is a great place to start. Little to no movement, known targets, 10-rd friendly, rimfire friendly. The list goes on and on.

Personally I like it because its live fire practice. You get good at drawing from the holster and, for the most part, shooting "A"s. Prefect place to start kids, new shooters and especially non-shooters. 

Foot in mouth and head up asshole

#11 warpspeed

warpspeed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

That's a good idea... then.. goal?? 1 sec from surrender? 

Yes - under 1 sec with a hit is the goal.

Foot in mouth and head up asshole

#12 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

If you do it, the goal is to not let anyone else know you do it.
  • warpspeed and Peally like this

On injured reserve.

#13 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Like mopeds and fat girls, just dont be seen

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#14 adoo

adoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

Only steel nationals is worth mentioning, was this nats?

Here all the good shooters, show up for steel nationals, and the level is high. 

I got podium in open divisoon this year and I fuckin loved it. 

#15 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Steel Challenge will help you figure out how much sight picture you really need to make a shot.

• GuruOfGuns, CH3NO2 and racetaco like this

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#16 CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Like mopeds and fat girls, just dont be seen

I like my mopeds fast and my fat girls slow...
NITRO
Nitromethane, nitrous oxide, nitrocellulose ....3 of my favorite things
To be sure of hitting the target , shoot 1st and call what ever u hit the target.

#17 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I like my mopeds fast and my fat girls slow...

I like fat girls like I like mopeds - under someone else and in a trailer park instead of my neighborhood.
  • peterthefish and Beef like this

On injured reserve.

#18 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Winning your division in SC doesn't mean as much as in USPSA. If there isn't lots of heat it only boils down to center fire and rim fire. I find SC to be more about beating myself than other shooters. I've seen really good USPSA shooters not do too well at steel, it's a totally different game with a completely different mindset. The level of focus and consistency needed to be a great steel shooter is a considerable challenge.

#19 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

It's probably not a coincidence that the top of the SC field has pretty much the same names as the top of USPSA.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#20 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

It's probably not a coincidence that the top of the SC field has pretty much the same names as the top of USPSA.

Very true, but I wasn't referring to world class level shooters. I'm a small club scrub and tend to think along those lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users