Photo

Is Steel Challenge the Dregs of Action Shooting??

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:20 AM

One of the good things about SC is there doesn't need to be heat at matches for you to know where you are at. You can compare your times to the records and see where are.

We only shoot steel 2 times a year here (if we are lucky). When we do I normally go all out and shoot 3 guns. I've usually had enough by the end of the match.

Rimfire I can shoot consistent sub-100's but I need to push harder if I want to go sub-90 or lower.  The wheels fall off when there's a holster though.  Don't think I've gone sub-130 yet when I should really be below 120 based off my rimfire times.  3rd gun has been Open Revo lately (so I can shoot 3 dots). The less said about those times the better....

• Motosapiens likes this

#22 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:45 AM

I enjoy it but then again I shoot it like once a year.

I like to shoot, SC is lots of ammo. Good times.

#23 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

Steel Challenge will help you figure out how much sight picture you really need to make a shot.

Makes sense.. In my extenseive of pod cast listening.. ASP semse to be something that comes up a good bit.. In my limited time practicing I've played with it a bit.. SC would be a good spot to really push it.. the tagets are close enough. But seems that it can only go so far, as the first shot is one thing.. Would an ASP be more *important* on the follow up as the sights settle?? Or would that really matter because you have to go through that process while you're transitioning to the other steel in the stage?

#24 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

I know I’m in the minority but I quit shooting USPSA pistol matches and only shoot Steel Challenge now. Even though the stages are the same at the bigger matches it’s still a ton of fun. Best part is nobody gets popper fucked.
  • warpspeed, Nimrod, Matt1 and 1 other like this
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#25 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

I know I’m in the minority but I quit shooting USPSA pistol matches and only shoot Steel Challenge now. Even though the stages are the same at the bigger matches it’s still a ton of fun. Best part is nobody gets popper fucked.

I can imagine that is the best part.  

• GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#26 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

It's fun once in a while but switching over would kill the novelty really quick.

#27 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Makes sense.. In my extenseive of pod cast listening.. ASP semse to be something that comes up a good bit.. In my limited time practicing I've played with it a bit.. SC would be a good spot to really push it.. the tagets are close enough. But seems that it can only go so far, as the first shot is one thing.. Would an ASP be more *important* on the follow up as the sights settle?? Or would that really matter because you have to go through that process while you're transitioning to the other steel in the stage?

Smoke and Hope you point-shoot the big, close rectangles, and just get a decent front sight on the stop plate as you are swinging. Other stages there are small plates way the hell out there and you have to stop the gun and get a for-real, no-shit sight picture.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#28 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

Sc is the drag racing of action shooting.

Uspsa is f1.

They both have their place but drag racing is more a novelty to me.
  • slemmo and CH3NO2 like this

#29 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:30 AM

Uspsa is f1.

I dont' know.. I've been pretty hardcore into drag racing for years.. and I'm still not bored with it.. I can't say that would be the case with SC.  But I do see your point. If anything, the gun stuff is FAR cheaper!! 

#30 adoo

adoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

haha I switched from car and boat racing, to guns some years back, everyone is like wow how can you have all that nice stuff.. its kinda like beeing free, in comparison

#31 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

haha I switched from car and boat racing, to guns some years back, everyone is like wow how can you have all that nice stuff.. its kinda like beeing free, in comparison

Man... you went WAY worse before you got better.. lol  Boats are ridiculous!!!! Cars are bad enough... I get the same reaction.. I can totally gear queer out, but hell.. if I combine the money I spent on my last two "big" small blocks I had.. I could buy like 10 full tilt Infinity open guns, with money to spare.. 

Unfortuanely, I haven't given up the cars.. I've just added guns.. lol 

• warpspeed likes this

#32 CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Uspsa is f1.

went from race cars with doors to dragsters with out doors to guns of all flavors .. it is still racing just different fuel.

but

looking forward to getting old n slow and having to go cowboy action shooting ( not )

now i found competitive cup stacking and i am hooked ..

i mean - no dry fire , no reloading ...no popperfukin , no ROfukin..no DQ traps ...

cool red solo cup team shirt and they even have a red solo cup theme song.

oh and there is even a super senior open division .

what is not to like ...

NITRO
Nitromethane, nitrous oxide, nitrocellulose ....3 of my favorite things
To be sure of hitting the target , shoot 1st and call what ever u hit the target.

#33 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

I particularly dislike:
- 1 magazine and a rimfire gun that doesn’t run reliably
- Multiple people sharing the same gun, with < 5 magazines
- 1 person shooting multiple guns that has little business shooting 1 gun
- An over-sized squad struggling to find someone competent to RO and run the scoring tablet
- Spending all damn day waiting for slow-ass squads to finish a stage
- a ‘150 round’ expectation with people who like to go to war with steel and who run out of ammo
- Constantly checking and rechecking my supply of tourniquets, Israeli bandages and chest seals
- Taking bets on whether Geezer McDoodle will survive long enough to finish the match

Steel Challenge is fine. The average local SC shooter or squad? Not so much.
  • warpspeed and peterthefish like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#34 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:28 AM

All valid points. We have our share of problems as well.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#35 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

At least slow dopes that should know better and people that can't understand how Practiscore works are a problem in every game.

#36 AMNS

AMNS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationA4

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Find a steel challenge style match but where they change up the stages. I find it useful if you approach it from a perspective of evaluating your skills and testing little elements.
  • ralloway likes this

#37 warpspeed

warpspeed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

Only steel nationals is worth mentioning, was this nats?

Here all the good shooters, show up for steel nationals, and the level is high. 

I got podium in open divisoon this year and I fuckin loved it. 

Did that come with a big check or ?

Foot in mouth and head up asshole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users