#21 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

My season is over also. I've been out of town for work the last week and planning for next year every night in the hotel. I surpassed my goals for this season and that has boosted my drive to keep improving. I was surprised that focusing on steel challenge this year had such positive impact on my USPSA and defensive pistol scores. My goal for next year is to reach Master in four divisions of steel challenge and play the other games just for shits & giggles.

#22 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Maybe its different for everyone.

I know for me, I know my own personal skillset very well. And having watched film of the top dudes, I can see where they are gaining time on me and where I am gaining time on them. At this point its essentially doing everything slightly faster, and slightly more consistent.

When I was in Master I focused a lot more on modeling myself after particular shooters. I watched a metric fuckton of youtube, and just tried to figure out why they shot a specific way and tried to emulate that to best fit my body style and shooting style. After doing this I just saw what I was fucking up in my own personal videos, and when comparing that to watching hours upon hours of top dudes you very quickly see your deficiencies. 

For me now, I know that specifically I have always been weakest at field courses with long distances of movement. I need to learn to be more aggressive, and learn to run. I enjoy weightlifting, so I think I will go the Shane Coley route and try and just eat healthier and weight train for explosive muscles.

So as I alluded to in a previous post, I am at the point of trying to figure out my life. But assuming I decide to go full bore for a year and just see where I could place giving it my all, my plan would involve 2-3 live fire sessions a week, and try for 2 matches a week. I run a match a week in the Spring and Summer, so that means a USPSA match on each weekend which is pretty easy. Usually for me a practice session is 150-300 rounds. I spend almost all of my time thinking about what I am doing, and focusing on executing that specific drill.

I am not a huge fan of dry fire. In fact I hate it. So I probably won't do that still. And then weight training, but thats more for me personally (the side benefit is it will help shooting). As far as specifics, that just depends on you. I know for me that movement is an issue. I plan on watching film of better shooters and how they move, and try and emulate that. Film myself, and painfully figure out how to not run like a retard. 

When I was struggling with steel earlier this year I put a lot of time into shooting steel, and imagine that I got better.

Hopefully that answered your question slightly better. It probably didn't but whatevs.

Wyatt

• BenB likes this

#23 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

If you have the time and money to live fire train at a high rate like that the dry fire becomes less relevant outside of fixing certain things without recoil. I personally couldn't shoot that much without getting burned out in less than a month.

#24 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

I realize that those of you who live in more sensible climates may not deal with this until later (or ever, I suppose). But, here in SE Wisconsin, the USPSA season essentially comes to an end next week. That means the best/worst 2-3 weeks of the year are coming up soon: don't touch my guns at all, triple down at work, maybe rest and heal a bit, and play the fuck out of some R6: Siege. 

It also means two of the most important steps are coming up: 1) Analyze how the year went / where I'm at now, and 2) Develop a plan of attack for next year. 

For me, previous years were easier because everything was low hanging fruit. To some degree, it still is (I'm locked into A-class like a fucking Disney ride). But, it's definitely going to require a bit more in-depth analysis this year, and a far more involved planning session. Thankfully, I have Iron Sight Nats to use as my "finger on the pulse" for some solid data. I would like to have a better structured plan for my training over the winter and next season. 

For those of you (looking at you, Hwansik and Yanutola) who break down your training and come up with comprehensive plans...

1. What do you look for in your current skills and/or this year as "data" for establishing where your skill is at?

2. How do you apply that information to developing a plan for next year? What does such a plan look like?

TL;DR. If you do such things, read bolded 1 and 2. 

If you don't, which - let's be honest - you probably don't because this is Doodie, post something useless that hinders the discussion.

Personally I have a log of movies from various stages throughout the year.  You can create a dataset and hopefully see your improvement over the course of months for things like draw speed, transitions, etc.  Get film of a shooter in the next class up and find your biggest gaps compared to them (you dont even need fancy software, queue the movie and use a timer).  That's what you focus on.  I'm not sure about A class, but I  have basically 'everything' to focus on.  But then again, everything improved as well (easy when you suck). Biggest gap--, get the most focus.  For me its actually moving my fat ass through the course that costs me most time.  That's unusual, but it is what it is.

TLDR:  Did you measure anything?  Work on measurements where gaps are biggest between you and the next step up.  If you didn't measure anything--start.  

Welcome to the club, I'll be so damn glad to get the hell out of A class.

Lodi doesn't have one more outdoor match in November by you?

FFS Lodi?  Small world.  Former Sauk Prairie dude.

• Peally likes this

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#25 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

FFS Lodi?  Small world.  Former Sauk Prairie dude.

Very small world. I spent a shit load of time in the Dodgeville/Spring Green area whilst dating my ex.

TLDR:  Did you measure anything?  Work on measurements where gaps are biggest between you and the next step up.  If you didn't measure anything--start.  

Yeah, I used some basic drills that I tracked throughout the year. Distance Changeup, Criss Cross, Accelerator, and so on. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#26 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:05 AM

TLDR = ? 

(Sorry... Trying to keep up here)

No real input for ya.. Really more for me seeing what guys who've been shooting this for a while approach this. 

#27 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

TLDR = Too long; didn't read. For the crowd with a 2 second attention span.

#28 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

I'm in the process of doing this after wrapping up a solid finish at the GA Championship.

1. What do you look for in your current skills and/or this year as "data" for establishing where your skill is at?

Main thing here is going to be comparing my GA Championship match video and scores with Sal Luna's. I see the video as giving me a good idea regarding shooting & transition speeds on various types of targets along with an impression of how solid each stage run looked. Initial thinking is that my movement and gun handling look solid and that I need to focus on quickly laying down As on 10+ yard targets and taking more targets on the move.

2. How do you apply that information to developing a plan for next year? What does such a plan look like?

It will drive drill selection for dry- and live-fire practice. I'll pick a few repeatable live-fire drills where I'll record all shot times and keep track of them to see how I'm doing.

• SlivGod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users