27 replies to this topic

#1 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

This may be a divergence from the norm a bit. I have zero illusions of being some death stalker, or ultra-competitive GM. The goal is to punch above my weight in regards to level of effort given.. lol 

I don't practice.. well at least not in any real measurable way. At least not in any consistent manner. 

What I do tend to be able to do is glean technique from watching... I also am able to break concepts down mentally, and then apply them physically.. 

A re-cap of the last few months.. 

Feb- Heard about USPSA, AFTER talking to a old Navy buddy who wanted to start shooting three gun.. I thought that sounded cool.. So I said I'd do that with him.. 

March- bought guns(well, game guns) because, you know.. it's the gear that wins the match after all.. Started listening to Ben's podcast.. after being turned onto it from a guy at a match I observed before buying any guns... 

April- I think I shot my first match.. didn't dq (nice) didn't finish last (bonus) finished bottom of middle 1/3 (unexpected) 

Fast forward: I've now shot 3 USPSA matches, 2 Falling Steel, 1 3 gun, and 1 Steel Challenge.. I think finishes are like 50% of points?? Again.. I could be being VERY generous to myself. But the last match I shot was a Steel Challenge, which I won my division (limited) which is why I asked if that was the dregs of action shooting... I feel I should have been stomped.. 

Near future.. I am going to shoot my first level 2 match, and see how much I really DO suck.. and try not to embarrass myself. Again.. it's just a gauge..

#2 vluc

vluc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

I always thought the entertainment approach to shooting is that you are either being entertained or you are the entertainment.

• ralloway likes this

#3 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

I always thought the entertainment approach to shooting is that you are either being entertained or you are the entertainment.

In my case, it could very well be both! I am entertained by shooting.. it's fun. I also, could be very entertaining for others to watch me do it.. Win/Win!! 

#4 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

This may be a divergence from the norm a bit. I have zero illusions of being some death stalker, or ultra-competitive GM. The goal is to punch above my weight in regards to level of effort given.. lol 

I don't practice.. well at least not in any real measurable way. At least not in any consistent manner. 

What I do tend to be able to do is glean technique from watching... I also am able to break concepts down mentally, and then apply them physically.. 

You are on the wrong side of the Dunning-Kruger curve.

You don't know what you don't yet know.

#5 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

^^^ I certainly would't argue that point!^^^^^

At least when it comes to shooting... I've competed at very high levels in other sports, and that's what got me through.. 

#6 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

If you shoot enough matches, matches become practice, I shot about 40 matches last year and got to A in a little over a year, also shooting above 85% a few times, with a bit more effort M should be doable, I'm not sure I'm willing to actually start doing practice sessions to make it though, practice is boring, shooting matches is fun.

• vluc likes this

#7 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Funny, I find live fire practice is fun as hell.

#8 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

I am a GM in a hider division in an anti gun country from pretty much only shooting matches.

It can be done. Sort of.

#9 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Country GM or international GM? There are huge differences from country to country. I've seen some people are GM in their country and only A intl.

#10 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Country only. I doubt i am A overseas. Maybe B.

#11 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

I am a GM in a hider division in an anti gun country from pretty much only shooting matches.

It can be done. Sort of.

Don't believe this guy. He's got actual talent 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ben likes this

#12 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

If you shoot enough matches, matches become practice, I shot about 40 matches last year and got to A in a little over a year, also shooting above 85% a few times, with a bit more effort M should be doable, I'm not sure I'm willing to actually start doing practice sessions to make it though, practice is boring, shooting matches is fun.

That's good to know!  I mean, I will go to the range every now and again, but as it sits I don't have access to a range where I can set up multiple targets. I go to the typical indoor range, but I can move the table and draw from a holster. So I can do a bunch of things... BUT there are a bit of limitations.  Not the least of which is me actually going.. lol 

Plenty of low hanging fruit for me.. and I'll find out in a couple weeks how much my soul is crushed at this next match. But I think it'll be a good benchmark.. 

#13 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

"Matches are practice" isn't a great mindset. They can half ass act as it if you shoot a lot of them, but considering the time and money invested in that route there are cheaper more effective ways.

I'm living proof you can accidentally get into A class, so that probably makes me a hypocrite. Getting up there is plenty doable, but building consistency at a high level is a little more a pain in the ass.

Slemmo has an edge over me though since I eat cows and he eats master race sheep.

• BenB likes this

#14 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Don't believe this guy. He's got actual talent 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lies. I don't even mention my GM status on youtube videos so I don't disappoint anyone. So many foregone views. 😂
  • Matt1 likes this

#15 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Jeff?

#16 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

While I do show up to win (being a competitive jerk will do that to you), I'm going to suck, so set more appropriate goals, like improving from the last time or not finishing last.

But I do also enjoy the time away from smug douche bags at work, off-color humor, and general good feeling of being around 'assholes like myself' so yeah there is some entertainment there as well.

SO yup, i'm the fat asshole you guys all laugh at. Are you not entertained?

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#17 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

I spent some time playing with my grip, not trying to draw from a holster or anything, but just still trying to feel out how to best have a grip that's "locked in"

Since this is essentially the foundation of everything, I figure why mess with other dry fire aspects of things and get this figured out. 

So.. I'm shooting limited and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth over gun selection.. I'm using a CZ TS. I have larger than average hands and the frame of these seems to be the best fit.. 

Anywho...  What I focued on was seeing about getting my strong hand wrist behind the bore axsis, or at least close to it. This rotation allowed for a bit more grip panel exposure to allow my weak hand palm access for a more positive "clamp" with that hand. Things that are going on in my head with this are still repeatability with this, and economy of motion to achive this grip. Resigning myself that I would ACTUALLY need to dry fire this to maximize. (dammit)

Arm position was something else I was kind of feeling out. Where I think in the past I've tried to lock out my arms straight... With the rotation of my strong hand wrist to try and get that behind the bore, it bring a natural bend to my right arm... which I'm now trying to mimic with my left arm, all while focusing on keeping the stress OUT of my arms and shoulders, but only working the muscles in my hands. 

Grip strength, I'm sure is lacking. At least it feels that way. As I bear down on the gun, the sights actually seem to waiver more! This is regardless of any grip "strategy" I've tried. Is this a sign of me still needing grip refinement?? 

I'm actually going to the range tonight, and I'll try and see how this change/mod effects groupings.. I'm still working on group shooting when I go to the range. I'm still working on knowing what my sight picture needs to be, and pressing the trigger straight. It's has improved a touch.. but hitting an A zone at 25yds consistanly is elusive still! Which.. I guess should be, all things considered.. lol 

#18 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:32 AM

Jeff?

Who's Jeff??

#19 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Well... A rare range day: 

As I mention, I was just kind of worried about seeing if the new grip ideas had any merit. 

I didn't stay all that long, and really went right to it, and the lack of an shooting in the last few weeks showed.. lol 

I was shooting groups of 5 @ 25yds.  Goal: All "A" zone (obviously) 

First group, only 4 were even on paper!! WTF.. lol Second group same result... whammy

I was moving around a lot, and I could feel I was, for lack of a better term, recoil *sensative*? I was flinching in anticipation I think.. 

Figured that out.. dry fired at the target a couple times, grip seems as solid as I typically produce, and sights were as stable.. 

Next string. all 5 on paper, 3 A's, 2 C's as best as I couple tell.. I'm not using a metric target.. just the range fare silhouette things.. But basing on a 10" x 6" box centered around the "x" in the middle of the target. 

The next few strings resulted in the same.. hits weren't really consistent as far as groupings, other than they were smattered in the A zone. and close C''s . 

I did have a couple strings at the end with all imaginary A zones hits, but again.. I wouldn't call it a grouping per se.. 

Take aways:

Trigger control... need FAR more of it. (noted) 

Better front sight focus at distance...  I could tell the my vision would switch between focus on the front sight, and having the target more crisp than the sights. 

Grip: I think it's a decent grip, however, I could feel my weak hand fingers slipping as time went on.   Maybe some manner of a grip enhancer is needed? Just never thought about it. 

Moving forward:

I think I will try and see about a from holster indexing process for my strong hand. time to get that nailed down. 

I liked the feeling of the arm position, and IF I could control the grip, recoil of the gun wasn't horrible. (That I could tell) With that, again.. start an indexng process there.. muscle memory, to me, seems key. 

#20 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

If you need USPSA targets make friends with the RM of your local matches, a lot of times they just toss them after a match and many are perfectly serviceable with a few pasters thrown on.

Otherwise if you buy a box they will last a long ass time.

• Ben and 90lxracer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users