27 replies to this topic

#21 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:21 AM

I can get targets from my local match.. I think they almost encourage it.. I really haven't been to many matches, so I really haven't had the opportunity to grab many. Agreed though, I think that's a good idea. 

What's a typical box of those cost, and where does one source them? 

#22 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

Random thought to anyone that may read this:

How much attention are you paying to building up core strength? (abs) 

Seems that paying attention to core strength would be a great way to sharpen up transitions. 

• chachacha likes this

#23 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

How much attention are you paying to building up core strength? (abs) 

Seems that paying attention to core strength would be a great way to sharpen up transitions. 

I don't think that core strength is the limiting factor in transitions. It seems more a function of visual processing speed, getting the trigger prepped, and dropping the hammer at the earliest possible instant.

That's not to demean building core strength, which I think is an important part of moving explosively in all directions. I've been working stuff like lateral box jumps, speed skaters, lunges, and depth jumps with lateral movement in with my kettlebell exercises.

#24 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

The many fundamentals are faaaar lower fruit than any physical ability. There are some pretty chunky old dudes kicking ass in USPSA at a higher level.

That being said being fit doesn't hurt in the game or life in general.

• racetaco likes this

#25 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:05 AM

I don't think that core strength is the limiting factor in transitions. It seems more a function of visual processing speed, getting the trigger prepped, and dropping the hammer at the earliest possible instant.

That's not to demean building core strength, which I think is an important part of moving explosively in all directions. I've been working stuff like lateral box jumps, speed skaters, lunges, and depth jumps with lateral movement in with my kettlebell exercises.

This makes perfect sense, and I guess where my mind was with it, is your second statement, and specifically the explosiveness of those transitions. The quick start and more precise stop added core strength might give you. Of course taking into account your first statement. 

The many fundamentals are faaaar lower fruit than any physical ability. There are some pretty chunky old dudes kicking ass in USPSA at a higher level.

That being said being fit doesn't hurt in the game or life in general.

I couldn't agree more with everything you've stated!! I completely understand I have a veritable orchard of low hanging fruit in front of me... I also know any physical gains do take time.. call it a 2 front war.. lol Even as I slowly work to improve all the fundamentals. chipping away, if I actually get my ass in gear, at the physical aspects of the game wouldn't hurt either. 

At this point, I feel like Indiana Jones when he said "It's not the age, it's the mileage"... and I've spend MANY years beating on this chassis, and I'm paying the man at this point. But I think it's more having shifted to being an IT desk jockey for the last decade plus that's hurt me more than the physical stuff, but ramping the physical stuff back in has shown me just how soft and fragile I seem to have become!! lol 

#26 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

I did dry fire last night briefly.. 

Since I have my first level 2 match coming up this weekend.. I figured why not?? 

Focus: Draws, Reloads

I am shooting limited, so really, I know I'm only drawing once and maybe reloading twice, which is a very small aspect of the stage. I just kind of wanted to see where I was at speed wise with each. I set a par time for 1 sec. Seems that's where I a decent starting goal should be.

Draws: Well.. after a few, I could honestly say I was getting an ASP SOME of the time.. lol (drawing to a door knob at about 12') It needs more work for sure. As I'm still trying to get my grip locked in and what not.. I moved the par time to 1.2, and that was actually pretty easy to hit my grip and get a sight picture. 

I think some of the stuff I was doing, which is eating time, as I bring my hand up to grab the gun, I'm almost driving my hand down, pushing the gun into the holster trying to make sure I have the gun in hand before starting to bring it up. 

Moving forward.. I think it's working on repatition of movement. that muscle memeory of that.. taking care to not drive the gun BACK into the holster before bring it up. Also, with the 1 sec par time I would miss my weak hand grip a good bit. I was really more throwing the gun up.. So concentrate on deliberate movement.. again.. this is rep time I would think.. 

Reloads: Same par time.. result.. complete choas! lol  I am certainly not ready for that. I didn't really mess with it for very long. I didn't mess with moving my par time around on this. but if I were to guess, and I will try and verfiy later this week, I should be around 1.5 sec I think. 

Moving forward: Here, I'm not too sure. I think it's just reps.. muscle memory work, the entire process... bringing the gun down, how I grab the new mag, watching the insertion, regaining grip, and reaquiring the target. 

#27 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

It's the night before my first level 2 match. 

I went to the range today, and I just wanted to feel recoil again. I warmed up by group shooting at 7yds, and it was "ok" I guess, I was using the standard fare range silhouette. Shots were in the red, or close to it. Which is good for me. 

I brought 200rds with me, and was using a par timer to my first attempt at a dot drill. 

I only ran the target out to 3 yds, and the proceeded to be humiliated for the next 40 min or so. lol I think I attempted 4 strings, and I don't think I had more than 2 dot that all rounds were in. <dammit> 

I then took it slow, and with no time.. at 3 yds I was able to at least put the shots in the dot the... but man.. gimme a break! 

Trying to understand what I may have been doing.. I'm guessing a couple things.. 1: I wasn't gripping the gun as I needed to 2: My draw, just crazy inconsistent

Also, I think I need to build up the muscles for more precise movement. Everything just feels sloppy.. Nothing was "crisp" but again.. I guess that will come with more reps and familiarity.

I went to the place where this match was being held.. I walked the stages briefly, kind of got a lay of the land. where registration is going to be.. So that was cool.

I made it home.. and I dry fired a bit.

Worked on draws some more 1 sec par.. still not making it. Broke it down a bit.. has a .2 par to see if I could get my strong hand on the gun, and weak hand over in a position to receive my strong hand. I felt I was making that, BUT my strong hand wasn't consistently landing on the gun where I felt it needed to.. So, I was reacting on time, but placement still needs work.

Moved par to .6, goal here was to react, bring gun up, and have weak hand meet the gun, but not present it to the target (being a lightswitch plate) Results were hit or miss, but mostly miss.

From there I moved par back to 1 sec, and attempted full draws. I still wouldn't say I'm there, but dd "feel" like I had a bit more time. I'm still just throwing the gun up there for the most part, which I can only hope that reps over time will resolve this.

Everything is put away.. and ready to go for tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!   

#28 90lxracer

90lxracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

Well, first sectional is in the books. It was GREAT experience. I got to squad with a some really good shooters and it was pretty eye opening. 

Things I'm super happy about, I didn't DQ (And 5 people did), and I didn't finish last.. lol 

Biggest takeaway: GRIP THE DAMN GUN!  Followed by, shoot my game.. I was squaded with a GM, M in my division, and I can tell that I got a bit caught up, and was shooting a bit faster than I should have been and it cost my time and points. I mean, not that I was in contention whatsoever, but just as a general statement. 

I finished 127/206, and 40/62 in limited. 55.34% of the winner in limited. 

I had a couple stages that were pretty much off the rails, which is a direct result of my experience level, and skill level. So I really can't be too upset about it. 

I got to see the crono process.. that was interesting. my stuff shot 186PF When the guy gave my gun back, he said "Please take this cannon away" lol 

this was the first time I got to shoot at swingers.. that was a bit of a mess. lol 

All in all, the match staff was awesome, the match seemed to flow very well, my squad was super fun, and I other than sucking a bunch, really couldn't be happier with the whole experience! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users