#41 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

I’ve had 5-6 Tanfos between me and my friends. Unreamed chamber OAL’s required to pass plunk tests were as short as 1.085 with 135’s, shorter with things like ACME 124’s - as low as 1.040.

I have other guns like a PCC that likes longer OAL’s and I don’t like loading everything short.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#42 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

I've been flirting with the idea of using 115gr but I don't know how they will act.

People use 147 because it is "less snappy". Of course, they could just be homosexual.

Is it going to be less likely to bring down a popper?

What is your charge to make Minor PF with that?

What is your experience with 115?

As far as 115s in minor, I have shot a lot of them. Load them to about 130, and they seem to take poppers down just the same as a 124 to me. I can tell the difference in recoil, but does it make a difference on the clock? Gonna go with definitely no, unless the targets were all mid range partials where the 0.1 faster splits with the 124s might add up. Which they wouldn't.

Everglades 115 JHP Vs are the jam. I used to load them for minor (since I have tons of them for shooting the one true division laying about) but got annoyed only being able to tell them apart by looking at the length, so I switched to the 124 RN. 

#43 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

I've been testing the Rocky Mountain 147 plaited flat points today. I have theory that flat points knock down steel better, this could be just superstitious nonsense though. Inside 25 yards there hasn't been any difference in accuracy compared to my load using SNS 147 flat points. But in truth, I don't think the G17's I'm using are accurate enough to truly care. If I had more ambition 50 yard paper with the P226 would be a true test.

#44 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Or a PCC

#45 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

I've been testing the Rocky Mountain 147 plaited flat points today. I have theory that flat points knock down steel better, this could be just superstitious nonsense though. Inside 25 yards there hasn't been any difference in accuracy compared to my load using SNS 147 flat points. But in truth, I don't think the G17's I'm using are accurate enough to truly care. If I had more ambition 50 yard paper with the P226 would be a true test.

Factory Glocks are generally quite accurate. I have seen many go sub 2" at 25. I don't know what it is about those barrels, but they shoot great. 

If only every other thing about Glocks wasn't terrible.

#46 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

It's not so much the mechanical accuracy of the pistol, but how badly I shoot it.
  • BettieWhite likes this

#47 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Depends on the weight, ACME 124s definitely need to be loaded at a different OAL than the norm. They're an unusual shape or something.

#48 Damcowboy

Damcowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCanadian Born Texan

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

I never understood the problem here.

I’ve loaded Xtreme 147, Black and Blue 147, Bayou 147, Blue 147 and 124, Berry’s 147

I’ve never had an issue with length. Dial it down a 1/4 turn at a time, plunk test it as you go, done in 20 min.

My loads for the Stock 2 shoot like a champ in my buddy’s SP-01. No need to ream chambers or anything.

The fuck are you guys doing??

^^This^^.  I don't get why anyone needs to care about OAL if you plunk test.

#49 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

I never understood the problem here.

I’ve loaded Xtreme 147, Black and Blue 147, Bayou 147, Blue 147 and 124, Berry’s 147

I’ve never had an issue with length. Dial it down a 1/4 turn at a time, plunk test it as you go, done in 20 min.

My loads for the Stock 2 shoot like a champ in my buddy’s SP-01. No need to ream chambers or anything.

The fuck are you guys doing??

Here’s my personal “why” for reaming chambers and loading Long. And dare I say, it might actually make sense?

The 9mm case gives you about .300” (varies from mfg to mfg) of case mouth before the walls begin to thicken.

vs4CG0E.jpg

If I crammed a 150gr SWC from Bayou down in there far enough to hit the 1.115” OAL my Tanfo would take, it was pressed back in there far enough that many of my rounds would fail to case gauge because it would cause the walls to bulge slightly. Keep in mind I run cheap “shot to death” brass and turn it into reliable ammo, here.

Reaming the barrel let me run virtually any OAL and profile I feel like. Those blocky 150s I had laying around could be loaded so long they barely fit in the mags, and the Tanfo took them at 1.155” all day long. I was back to 1 per 1000 failing to gauge, instead of 40 to 60, because I was only pushing them into the brass about .260”

When I switched back to 124s I stopped caring so much: Shorter bullets obviously aren’t sticking back into the case as much as long heavy 147s.
I run a 125gr Black Bullet now, which has a pointy profile and loads really long compared to a round nose like an Acme or Bayou at 1.120” in my Walther and like it just fine. I can’t cut the hardened chamber in the gun anyway.

BEnos reloading sheeple think they need to load long to keep the pressures down, which is not even close to a factor with shit like Titegroup/WST/Prima V/etc in 9mm. But the cool kids in Limited are loading ultra long and still blowing up guns with Clays in 40, so it is probably a thing we should all be doing, right?
  • Stubb and GuanoLoco like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#50 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Here’s my personal “why” for reaming chambers and loading Long. And dare I say, it might actually make sense?

The 9mm case gives you about .300” (varies from mfg to mfg) of case mouth before the walls begin to thicken.

vs4CG0E.jpg

If I crammed a 150gr SWC from Bayou down in there far enough to hit the 1.115” OAL my Tanfo would take, it was pressed back in there far enough that many of my rounds would fail to case gauge because it would cause the walls to bulge slightly. Keep in mind I run cheap “shot to death” brass and turn it into reliable ammo, here.

Reaming the barrel let me run virtually any OAL and profile I feel like. Those blocky 150s I had laying around could be loaded so long they barely fit in the mags, and the Tanfo took them at 1.155” all day long. I was back to 1 per 1000 failing to gauge, instead of 40 to 60, because I was only pushing them into the brass about .260”

When I switched back to 124s I stopped caring so much: Shorter bullets obviously aren’t sticking back into the case as much as long heavy 147s.
I run a 125gr Black Bullet now, which has a pointy profile and loads really long compared to a round nose like an Acme or Bayou at 1.120” in my Walther and like it just fine. I can’t cut the hardened chamber in the gun anyway.

BEnos reloading sheeple think they need to load long to keep the pressures down, which is not even close to a factor with shit like Titegroup/WST/Prima V/etc in 9mm. But the cool kids in Limited are loading ultra long and still blowing up guns with Clays in 40, so it is probably a thing we should all be doing, right?

Ah... you want to run outside of the 1.169 max OAL SAAMI spec with odd ball shit. Good enough then. Ream away.

http://www.saami.org...ownload/205.pdf

#51 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Ah... you want to run outside of the 1.169 max OAL SAAMI spec with odd ball shit. Good enough then. Ream away.

Using 147s with a short leade it’s not uncommon to need to seat the bullet deep enough (I.e. well < 1.169 SAAMI max) that you bulge the case enough to cause it to fail gauge / cause a death jam.

#52 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Using 147s with a short leade it’s not uncommon to need to seat the bullet deep enough (I.e. well < 1.169 SAAMI max) that you bulge the case enough to cause it to fail gauge / cause a death jam.

Oh, I understand what you say is the problem.

I run the guns people bitch about, with the bullets they do, and the shitty brass that they do, and I don't get the problem.

So, I say "The fuck are you doing?"

• CheesyD likes this

#53 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

Dude, we are talking about Cartridge Base To Ogive (CBTO) where bullet nose profile and leade are relevant factors.

Go sit at the kids table, eat some chicken fingers and tater tots and tell the other kids about SAAMI and COAL. Don’t forget the ketsup.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#54 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Oh, I understand what you say is the problem.

I run the guns people bitch about, with the bullets they do, and the shitty brass that they do, and I don't get the problem.

So, I say "The fuck are you doing?"

Meh - I’ve only ever had the issue with my Dan Wesson and Zero 147 FMJs so I’m not saying it’s common, but I have had it happen so I agree it’s a thing.

#55 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Dude, we are talking about Cartridge Base To Ogive (CBTO) where bullet nose profile and leade are relevant factors.

Go sit at this kids table, eat some chicken fingers and tater tots and tell the other kids about SAAMI and COAL. Don’t forget the ketsup.

Mmmm, tater tots! He, he, I sense butt hurt.

It's just that you pick the dumbest solution to a normal problem.

First, most people recognize that PCC (Penile Colonic Coitus) is gay. But, since this is the new millenium, people are much more tolerant of that kind of thing than they used to be.

So, if you must shoot PCC, you could load to your shortest OAL and roll with it. The accuracy requirements are roughly sheet of paper at frisbee distance, with a rifle, with an optic. Like I said...gay.

Or, you could shoot a lighter weight round. I know that taming the awesome might of minor PF 9mm is critical, and you either have to dick with the optimal load or stop eating soy so you can grip harder.

Heaven forbid, you just load for the gun. I think I read that somewhere once, fortune cookie, maybe.

But nope... re-engineer the fucking gun! Genius. 

• jnkranch likes this

#56 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

I mentioned both 1.120” and 1.155” OALs there, buddy.

Too much butthurt makes it really hard to focus on the words in front of you, though. I understand.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#57 SNSCaster

SNSCaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

We're having a Black Friday sale this year.  Use coupon code "BLACKFRIDAY10" for 10% off.  It will run from 6:00 pm Thursday through Monday, November 27th.    Not to be combined with any other discounts.  

http://www.snscasting.com 

#58 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Still not cheaper than acme
  • aceinyerface likes this

#59 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Maybe not, but their quality is first rate.

#60 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

^this^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users