#22 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

We already have what are effectively single action guns with crap like the M&P ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I say go for it. Not like anyone is getting any better with this random ass no-name handgun than they are with an XD or whatever else.

#23 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

No single action guns in production.

Both the M&P and XD are single action striker fired guns. Drop the slide off one and look.
  • ralloway likes this

#24 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

Both the M&P and XD are single action striker fired guns. Drop the slide off one and look.

Don't get him started.

#25 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

I haven't had one in my hands yet but I have studied the design and have digested all the info I can find on it. I believe the couple behind it have the best intentions and they truly believe in the concepts. IMO the basic assumption that putting the recoil spring and lug further under the barrel will change how the pistol recoils is flawed, hell doesn't the 1911 have that already? Yes they've moved the slide impact area lower. I've been part of experiments in this area, non moving weight in that area does reduce muzzle rise, more weight more improvement, but it's because weight..mass, nothing secret.  Secondly, look at the pistol with it being held, can you see any real reduction in bore height? Plus it looks like the slide is a bit fat on top canceling out any potential gains. Thirdly watch videos of people shooting them, I can't see the incredible lack of muzzle rise the design promises. 

Seem like genuinely good people and I wish them the best but I don't believe this pistol has much of a future. I hope I'm wrong.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#26 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

Does P-F have a megathread on it already?

• Will likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#27 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

False. Everyone knows SA guns are not allowed in production. Next thing I know you’ll be telling me the PPQ is a SA gun too.

#28 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

It’s impossible for striker-fired guns to be single action.

(Not in reality, I’m referring to the unspoken supposition implied in the rulebook. Where it matters.)
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#29 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

I haven't handled all the weird guns we allow in production, but the Glock is the only striker fired gun I can think of that actually pulls the striker to the rear during the trigger pull. Cocking the hammer or striker is the second action in "double action". If the triggers only action is to release the striker, it's a single action by definition. I believe we classify production guns by trigger. If the trigger pull is crappy enough we allow it in production. This is where all the CZ butthurt starts. Their triggers are clearly double action, but they don't suck.
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#30 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

I think the stock M&P sear also *very slightly* cams the striker back when the trigger is pulled. Unlike the Glock it can still fire w/o the extra energy of cocking the striker, so I’m assuming this is done to meet procurement requirements.

#31 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Regardless, the H9 isn't exactly going to make any waves compared to everything else people are already shooting that's phantom single-action.

#32 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Regardless, the H9 isn't exactly going to make any waves compared to everything else people are already shooting that's phantom single-action.

Sure it is because heavy. Who wouldn’t shoot their Tanfo SA if allowed?

#33 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

I haven't had one in my hands yet but I have studied the design and have digested all the info I can find on it. I believe the couple behind it have the best intentions and they truly believe in the concepts. IMO the basic assumption that putting the recoil spring and lug further under the barrel will change how the pistol recoils is flawed, hell doesn't the 1911 have that already? Yes they've moved the slide impact area lower. I've been part of experiments in this area, non moving weight in that area does reduce muzzle rise, more weight more improvement, but it's because weight..mass, nothing secret.  Secondly, look at the pistol with it being held, can you see any real reduction in bore height? Plus it looks like the slide is a bit fat on top canceling out any potential gains. Thirdly watch videos of people shooting them, I can't see the incredible lack of muzzle rise the design promises. 

Seem like genuinely good people and I wish them the best but I don't believe this pistol has much of a future. I hope I'm wrong.

Warning Point for SeriousPosting. Shame.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#34 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

I think the stock M&P sear also *very slightly* cams the striker back when the trigger is pulled. Unlike the Glock it can still fire w/o the extra energy of cocking the striker, so I’m assuming this is done to meet procurement requirements.

Yes, but the Apex parts remove this "feature" rendering the M&P truly single action.

#35 Alma

Alma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

Yes, but the Apex parts remove this "feature" rendering the M&P truly single action.

Where does it say "no single action" in the USPSA Production rules?

#36 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Where does it say "no single action" in the USPSA Production rules?

It doesn't. It has to be in the list. That said, I don't believe there are any single action hammer fired guns on the production list, only single action striker fired guns.

#37 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

It doesn't. It has to be in the list. That said, I don't believe there are any single action hammer fired guns on the production list, only single action striker fired guns.

You couldn't have a hammer fired single action gun in production because production rules specify a hammer down start, and the single action ready state is cocked and locked.

Single action striker guns are another story I guess.

#38 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

Equal rights for hammers!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users