#1 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

I'm starting this with hopes that it can keep or increase my focus on improvement. I've been reading other shooters logs for about a year, and have found it quite interesting. I don't know if anything I put in here will benefit others, but I can see keeping track of things could help me.

My goals for this upcoming season are:
* for the first time put 99% of my attention into one platform.
* make master in steel challenge, and consistently shoot to that level
* make master in GSSF,,,, and make that $$$$!
* keep my level of enjoyment shooting defensive pistol matches
* get my USPSA classification up to my true performance level
* MOST importantly have NO regrets

#2 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

I've had weather suitable for practice this and last weekend, so I have tried to make good use of it.
11/10 - 11/12
Low ready starts to a 15 yard 10" plate.
Observations- .6 sec. 100% hits
.4 sec. (as of yet a total shit show) +- 60% hits

Low ready start to 15 yard 10" plate with a 20' transition to a open paper @ 10 yards
Observations- +- .6 sec. hit on steel, .3 to .4 transition to paper 90% A's 1 D no mikes
I'm not able to just "rip" doubles with the G17 like I could with the Sig. when I try second shot goes high.

SHO same drill as above.
Observations- a little slower than freestyle but I'm happy with the results

WHO same drill
Observations- Suck fest!! Needs considerable work

11/17 - 11/19
Low ready start 12 yard 12" steel 30' transition to 10" steel @15 yards
Observations- best time .81 sec. average time .9 to 1.1 @ about 90% hits. I'm ok with this time if I can get to 99% hits.
Good drill, economical use of ammo compared to a full SC stage,I'll spend more time with this.

12" plate @ 50 yards
Observations- 41 hits out of 50 shots, factory sights on the Gen5 make this unnecessary difficult. Splits and hit percentage should
improve with good sights
  • WJM likes this

#3 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

I'm starting this with hopes that it can keep or increase my focus on improvement. I've been reading other shooters logs for about a year, and have found it quite interesting. I don't know if anything I put in here will benefit others, but I can see keeping track of things could help me.

My goals for this upcoming season are:
* for the first time put 99% of my attention into one platform.
* make master in steel challenge, and consistently shoot to that level
* make master in GSSF,,,, and make that $$$$!
* keep my level of enjoyment shooting defensive pistol matches
* get my USPSA classification up to my true performance level
* MOST importantly have NO regrets

What platform--Glock?  Also, unless you were deliberately omitting, what class are you now in USPSA?

I recently fondled a G19 Gen 5.  The factory sights aren't good, to be clear, but I thought they were improved from the previous dovetail protectors.

Finally, you need this:

tattoo.mp4.Still003.jpg

• BettieWhite likes this

#4 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

I'm using a Gen 5 17, and I do agree the factory sights are an improvement over previous models just not as useful as good black steel sights.
I was intentionally not stating my current classification because of the deep and unending shame it brings. C class in open, limited, and SS which are my initial rankings from two years ago. This past season I shot USPSA only two times, but performed at or near A class. In truth I care far less about classification than my actual match performance. I hope to shoot an all classifier match this summer and do what needs to be done, but I don't plan on putting any extra effort into that this season.

#5 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

11/22
Low ready draw 10" plate @ 12 yards 12' transition, 10" plate @18 yards 6' transition, 12" plate 10 yards.

Observations-
Warm enough to actually use the holster and stuff but,,, fuck that I'm going to make low ready my bitch.
It's funny how after putting in the work last year to have a very consistent draw for SC that low ready is demanding so much attention.

Tested out the different back straps on the Gen 5 (sticking with the medium beaver tail)

Wasn't a great practice, not very consistent, good runs from 1.4 to 1.6 seconds but far too many mikes to keep burning ammo packed it up after about 150 rounds. Shooting without grip tape is a no go, I'm sure that was the main reason for the inconsistency.
I need to really push to get as much practice in while I can, its looking like a month long out of state work deployment coming soon.

#6 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

I'm using a Gen 5 17, and I do agree the factory sights are an improvement over previous models just not as useful as good black steel sights.
I was intentionally not stating my current classification because of the deep and unending shame it brings. C class in open, limited, and SS which are my initial rankings from two years ago. This past season I shot USPSA only two times, but performed at or near A class. In truth I care far less about classification than my actual match performance. I hope to shoot an all classifier match this summer and do what needs to be done, but I don't plan on putting any extra effort into that this season.

Be a c class shooter that stomps a class shooters. Classification is waaaay over rated. Kinda like that friend you grew up with that got a MBA, but now cooks fries for a living.
  • racetaco likes this

#7 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

I think classification is overrated if you grand bag to get it. Most of the matches I shoot aren't big enough for class to really mean much anyway, HOA is all that matters. I'm planning on shooting the area 1 championship this summer because it's in Montana and for that I'd like it to be a true representation.

#8 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

11/23

Low ready start shot left to right and right to left 6" plate 4' transition, 10" plate 4' transition, 6" plate, all at 15 yards.

Observations-
Best time 1.64, average 1.75 to 1.9
Fun drill, man the 10" feels HUGE next to the sixes.
Needless to say the 2x4's definitely got a beating
Next time I do this drill it will be with makeups, don't want to train transitioning away from mikes.

#9 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

11/24

Hands at sides draw, paper @ 7 yards 45* transition, paper @ 15 yards 6' transition, 10" plate 17 yards.
Shot starting on all targets, but majority starting in middle transition left then to steel.

Observations-
Timer for start signal only. 125 rounds total, 4 mikes on steel before makeups, 17 C's no mikes or D's
Focus was on transition speed with good hits

#10 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

11/26

Traveled a ridiculous way to shoot a 4 stage USPSA match today. Totally worth it, very very rare this late in the year.

Observations-
Overall I'm super happy with my performance, historically I suck balls doing a long drive the morning of. 8th out of 37 overall and 6th in limited, not bad for minor PF production gear + 140mm mags.

The good-
Stayed calm & collected, made a plan and executed it, made no retarded mistakes, solid reloads & draws

The bad-
Had a dud primer during the classifier, tried to start a 24 shot stage with fully loaded mag plus one chambered (didn't feed the second shot) probably would want a reload anyway. Two D's and a Mike,,, WTF I can live with the D's but the Mike is friggn unacceptable.

#11 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

No practice lately because of work and the little bit of free time has been spent reloading. After my work trip I'm hoping to upgrade to a 1050.

#12 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

Be a c class shooter that stomps a class shooters. Classification is waaaay over rated. Kinda like that friend you grew up with that got a MBA, but now cooks fries for a living.

Better to be decent and also not have to cringe telling people you're a class D shooter ;)

• racetaco likes this

#13 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

I see no shame in being a D level shooter if you're new to the sport, I have a distinctly different view about unsafe D class shooters. What must be very tough is being a very competitive shooter that drops down to C or D because of age.

#14 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

12/09

Five 10" plates spaced 3' @ 25 yards. Low ready start, stock G30 with good sights, 300 rounds.

Observations-
Draw times with this gun are about .3 slower than the G17. Splits are also about a 10th slower, this makes sense considering 45acp out of a subcompact. Best time was 2.41, clean runs 2.6 to about 2.8 couldn't stay sub 3 seconds if I had any pickups.
I need to make another steel target stand and 10" plate. If the logistics for hauling a true plate rack back and forth wasn't such a PITA I'd build one.
I forgot to add yesterday, 19 out of 20 on the 12" 50 yard plate

#15 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

12/10

Four 10" & one 12" (bolt head broke off on one of the 10's hence the 12") 25 yards spaced 6' apart. Low ready start with the gen3 17.

Observations-
Sluggish today because allergy meds. Best run 2.2. Average in the 2.4's
Ran a few strings shooting doubles on each plate just for fun, .19 to .22 splits
Ended with the last mag at the 50 yard plate, 14 out of 17 .4 splits

#16 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

12/16

I put a couple hundred rounds through a 40s&w PCC, and I'll admit to it being SUPER fun. It didn't have the ideal optic, but the potential was evident. I could see running one as a second division at local steel matches at some point.

#17 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Five 10" plates spaced 3' @ 25 yards. Low ready start, stock G30 with good sights, 300 rounds.

Observations-
Draw times with this gun are about .3 slower than the G17. Splits are also about a 10th slower, this makes sense considering 45acp out of a subcompact.

Are these making any PF, or bunny-fart GSSF/SC loads that are just enough to run the slide?  I ask because I'm still reeling from shooting the borrowed G30 that was softer than my factory 9mm.

I put a couple hundred rounds through a 40s&w PCC, and I'll admit to it being SUPER fun. It didn't have the ideal optic, but the potential was evident. I could see running one as a second division at local steel matches at some point.

I like the vague flavor of shame permeating this post, as is only right and proper.

I also still like ToddKS's idea about RCR (Rifle Caliber Rifle) being the new hotness.

#18 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

I've been using 200 & 230 gr major loads from when I shot single stack. I'm sure their not quite making the 170+ power factor out of the G30, I had those loads worked up for a 5" 1911. I should run them over the crono next time I've got it set up because now you have me curious, my guess is maybe 160 PF.
I don't agree with your assessment of the G30 being softer than 9mm, but I will say the G30 shoots far softer than I would have expected.

YES! There always should be a tinge of inadequacy and shame when contemplating anything PCC.

#19 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

2 more days till I'm back home! I think this 30 day stint is the longest period in my life without handling a gun. Can't wait to do some shooting, or at least some dryfire.

#20 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

01/18/18

Put Dawson black sights and a magwell on the Gen5 17 today. Went out and tested all my magazines with the new magwell, (GTG) Tested the sights with 147’s, “mental note” don’t test sights when completely JACKED out of your mind on strong coffee! So I’ll be testing POI/POA with multiple loads another day when I’m not displaying the physical signs of a crack addiction. Side note it did feel good to be pulling the trigger after such a long hiatus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users