Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

01/27/18

Way too cold for a real practice!

Tested 15# recoil spring with stainless guide rod in the gen3 17, daddy likes! Less BTF

Tested my new boss/comptac gen5 holster, 12” plate @ 10 yards 1.1 to 1.2
Smoke & hope with 10” plates instead of 18”x24” @ 10 yards
- best time 2.6 average 2.8-2.9 (pushing speed only 80% hits)

#22 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

02/02/18

Had to cancel going to a steel tomorrow because of the flu. What a bummer, I don’t get opportunities for matches in February.
Tested some 115gr loads with a 11# spring in the gen3 (ran well, needs more testing when I don’t feel like death)
Also got the ppc sighted in with the dpp mounted for 155gr loads.

#23 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

02/28/18

34 degrees and sunny!! Split out of work early, painted some plates green and blasted 300 rounds through the gen5.
5 10” plates @ 10 yards 6’ apart.

-draws 1.4 to 1.5

Good runs 3 seconds, lots of not so good runs in the 3.5 to 3.7’s

Low ready draws 10 for 10 @ .5 to .54

Definitely didn’t light the world on fire, but it felt really good to be outside doing something besides plowing fucking snow.
  • ralloway and MEISTERB like this

#24 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

03/03

Put some all black Dawson sights on the new G31, WOW 357sig is no joke! I know this is a pointless gun & caliber, but this cartridge has always intrigued me and getting it for free means no butt hurt. I’m very excited for the die set to come in the mail so I can do some experimenting. Who knows maybe I’ll try it out this deer season instead of 10mm.

#25 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

03/07

Tested some 124 & 147 loads through the G31,,,,,,,aaaaaaaaah think I need a threaded barrel and comp.

Side note: blue dot makes impressive fire balls.
  • ralloway and Stranger Danger like this

#26 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

03/09

Worked up some 115gr 357 sig loads with accurate #9. I like it so far. I figured it’s too bright out to get good readings with the crono, so that will happen when the snow melts off. I’m hoping to get some solid steel challenge practice in tomorrow. It would have been just a waste of ammunition today, came down with a hellacious illness the other day that knocked the shit out of me. Maybe with enough coffee and bacon in my system I’ll have some semblance of energy & concentration tomorrow.

#27 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

03/10

5- 10” plates 6’ apart @ 35 yards. Gen5 300 rounds
Most strings 4.5 to 5 seconds. Way too many 6+ seconds.

Now the most important part,,, the excuses for an epic suck fest today
1. I was just plain sluggish
2. So friggn bright out (full sun + snow)
3. My lack of ability with a Glock really shines past 20 yards

The main thing I need to work on is trigger control, I kept catching myself trying to crush the trigger through the frame. Secondly shity grip, (normally not something I’ve needed to put effort into) but today I think it was sloppy.

#28 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

03/11

Same setup as yesterday, but no timer and no draws (cold enough I wanted to keep my coat on so no holster) everything from low ready.
Focusing on trigger control and consistent grip!!
Short practice only 100 rounds but I got what I needed out of it, low ready draws are going really well.
First steel match for this year is next weekend, I’m hoping for one or two more practice sessions before that

#29 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

03/16

Same set up, 170 rounds first half was @ 35 yards and the rest @ 10 yards. Low ready start.
At 35 yards my goal was only to shoot clean (grip, sights, trigger) no thought about speed. When I moved up to 10 yards I kept the same mental focus on good form and no misses, but it was CRAZY fast. Way faster than I would typically shoot strings at that distance.
I’m going to keep this format for practice for a while, I think it’s a good way to make well rounded improvements.

#30 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

03/17

Same setup and same drill, 154 rounds.
Went well, happy with my performance. I’m going to go back out in a few hours and run it again.

My first Steel match for this season is tomorrow. I’m going into it with a totally different goal, mindset and approach.
Don’t care about time, don’t care about placement, don’t care about classification, and don’t care about other shooters. I’m there all alone and all I want to do is shoot 1 for 1 all friggn day, every string every stage!
I don’t need to waste energy and focus on time, if I shoot clean my times are plenty good enough to be the HEAT. Compared to other games Steel Challenge is so much more dependent on staying calm and keeping a laser focus for me.
  • Sweet T likes this

#31 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

03/17 part 2

Repeat of this morning, 204 rounds= six mags @ 35 & six mags @ 10 yards.
What a confidence booster to finish a practice and have very few edge hits on the plates. The mikes I had can be mostly contributed to rushing my sight picture, which is DUMB because the point of this drill is to weed out that kind of crap. I think this was a good way to start off serious practice for this year. I need to work some 50 yard stuff back into the mix. Finishing each session with trying to go 50 for 50 @ 50 is like magic. “fifty yard plate don’t lie”

#32 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

03/18

Steel challenge match

4th overall
2nd in production division
1st in class (& the class above)
74% for the match (1st place was 77%)
Round about 64%
Smoke & hope 76%
Accelerator 72% (1.41 second improvement over last year)
Speed option 81%
5 to go 76%

Even though I shot like crap, I’m happy with my performance. This match was the toughest conditions I’ve dealt with, first was the six hour drive in a snow storm with fog and terrible roads. Second I didn’t get to bed early enough for getting up at 1am. Lastly white targets on a snow covered range suck.

My new strategy of mindset and focus definitely showed I’m working on the right approach. I wasn’t able to keep it consistently applied though, mainly because of showing up already frazzled from the trip. I’m sure if I had been able to travel the day before and spend the night every stage would be in the 80% range.

Observations:
Every stage string 1 was the fastest, which is the opposite of most matches for me
String 2 & 3 of each stage is where things fell apart
Strings 4 & 5 I mentally reset, FOCUSED and got back on track
Most makeups took about .3 seconds (because of improvements in shot calling)
I sucked balls on stage 1!! I got way too amped up after the first string
The first plate on each stage had a nice centered group 100% first shot hits
Draws were slower than usual, I’m guessing in the 1.6 to 1.7 range
Transitions were fast and deliberate
Being prepared for shit weather is the only way to play!

#33 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Classification update 03/21:

Missed making the next class by .36% ,,,,,, on a good note I’m only 10.36% from my season goal. What truly blows is my April steel match has been canceled.

#34 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

03/23

Put a KKM barrel with comp on the G31 today. Just need to do some more load development and it will be ready for GSSF unlimited division. Initial testing shows this was definitely a improvement in shoot-ability.

#35 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

03/24

Load testing for the new G31 barrel:

WSF & 124gr: hotter than needed to work comp
Blue dot & 115gr: not very accurate
Blue dot & 124gr: better accuracy
Blue dot & 147gr: liked it (needs more testing)
#9 & 115gr: unburned powder
#9 & 124gr: very accurate
#9 & 147gr: crazy accurate, softer recoil

After this initial testing I’m impressed with the accuracy of the KKM barrel. As of today it’s a toss up between the 124’s or 147’s, usually I don’t test pistols from a bench but that might be the best way for making my final decision.

#36 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

03/25

170 rounds @ 35 yards
Observations: I friggn struggled today, just couldn’t keep at 100% hits

170 rounds @ 10 yards
Observations: Crushed balls! I took a long brake after the 35 yard drill, walked around cleared my head and came in HOT.

I’m really thinking sub 3 second strings (EVERY STRING) on round about for my match next Saturday. I’m shooting limited and production with my production gear just to get more trigger time.

#37 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

03/31

Steel challenge match

Production:
Match 73.79% second place for main match, first in division
Three stage improvements dropping my total by 2.31 seconds

Limited:
Match 74.93% first place for main match & division
Five stage improvements dropping my total by 11.57 seconds

Observations:

Tough match! 10 degrees at the start warming up to a balmy 20 something by the end. Five hour drive in a snow storm to get there, but the drive home was better.
My mental program is helping immensely with staying focused on recovery and consistency.
I had trouble with getting my grip, and draws with the extra clothing were on the slow side.
Overall I’m totally JAZZED with the outcome, but even more so with keeping my shit together. Eight of the twelve stages ended up being division bests for me!

93.66% smoke & hope in production today,,,,,,,BOOM!!!!!!
  • Stubb and ralloway like this

#38 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

04/04

Steel challenge classification update:

Production 76%

Limited 72.73%

#39 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:12 PM

HOLD THE FUCK ON!!!!!! You drove six hours in a fucking blizzard to shoot steel challenge???? And I thought I had a problem.

#40 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

HOLD THE FUCK ON!!!!!! You drove six hours in a fucking blizzard to shoot steel challenge???? And I thought I had a problem.

I’ve got this disease,,,and the only cure is more Steel Challenge!
  • ZackJones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users