148 replies to this topic

#41 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

If I drive six hours for a match it will be a lvl2 or better uspsa. I hate to drive more than five miles for a SC match

#42 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Every thing is Long drive from my area of Montana, and after being basically trapped at work all winter it was worth it.

#43 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Might be time to think about relocating to help fulfill your needs

#44 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

04/06

Load testing, crono & 25 yard rested groups:

115 Steel load (3.8gr green dot, fed 200 spp,115 blue bullet)
120 PF
Most accurate load in gen 3 & 5

124 USPSA load (3.8gr green dot, fed 200 spp, 124 blue bullet)
132 PF
Almost as accurate as 115 in gen 5

When I need to restock 124’s I’ll switch to truncated cone to differentiate the two loads, I don’t ever want the mistake of going sub minor.
  • Stubb likes this

#45 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

04/14

USPSA Match

10th overall (69.97% of HOA winner)
5th in limited division (highest shooting minor, 78.10% of the M class winner)
102-A
10-C
2-D

Observations:
The good= stage plans, foot work, accuracy, shooting on the move,and most importantly “mental program”
The bad= THREE MIKES! One of which was on the classifier, not aiming at the first few close open targets leading to makeup shots, plus more unnecessary makeup shots (lack of confidence)

Normally I would be sick to my stomach having mikes but looking at the overall scores there was a LOT of mikes at this match. So even though misses are inexcusable, I’m not going to take it personally. I think it’s more a reflection of the difficulty of this match.

#46 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

04/20

10” plates set up like pendulum @35 yards, 300 rounds with the gen5.

Observations:
Used timer just for the start signal (never looked @ times) main focus of this practice was testing different shooting orders. I’ve always shot it 4 3 2 1 stop, now I’m leaning towards 4 3 1 2 stop. This new order isn’t as fast for me yet but it seems to be a little more consistent, I don’t want to be transitioning into the stop plate so Hot.

CONSISTENCY!!!! Be a FUCKING ROBOT!!!!!
(Well a ROBOT that still has fun)

#47 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Observations:
Used timer just for the start signal (never looked @ times) main focus of this practice was testing different shooting orders. I’ve always shot it 4 3 2 1 stop, now I’m leaning towards 4 3 1 2 stop.

Stick with straight across. That way you’re not skipping a plate as you transition across.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#48 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

04/21

10” plates pendulum @ 20 yards, 300 rounds, gen5

Observations:
Good practice, worked on grip, solid sight picture, and good trigger pulls.
Clean runs 3.2- 3.3 seconds
Not clean runs in the 4 second range

Also put a hundred rounds through my current carry piece because it was due for a cleaning anyhow. Interesting that there’s no real difference in accuracy or times between it and a full size.
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#49 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

04/28

10” plate @ 12 yards, 2 10” plates 12” apart with 10” height difference 8 yards to the right @ 15 yards. 400 rounds gen 3 & 5

Observations:

Low ready no timer freestyle, started off focusing on 100% hits for maybe 150 rounds. Then another 150 pushing transition speeds HARD! Probably around 80% hits. Also some stings putting doubles on each plate.

Last 100 rounds:
SHO= 100% hits @ match pace

WHO= 75% hits @ turtle pace (need to put more time into this)

Shooting on the move= I don’t know why but this is one of my strongest skills even though I hardly ever do it in practice.
Very happy how this went.

Side note:
Concealment draw on a big rattlesnake while fishing yesterday was VERY fast! I’ll contribute that to shear panic. l didn’t even think, it just happened.

#50 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

05/01

Steel challenge match

Open division (with limited gear)
2nd place overall
2nd place for division
6.84 second improvement

Limited division
4th place overall
1st place for division
1.33 second improvement

Observations:
I had a fun time and was on a good squad. They had a very fun outlaw stage with 4 shooting boxes and 3 separate target arrays. It was a little complicated to explain here, but I will say it was very challenging and I really enjoyed it. I didn’t shoot very well at all. I expect to be in the 70 - 75% range normally but that just didn’t happen. I usually do all the math to figure out each stage percentage, no need after seeing my times. The only stage I’m happy about is round about in limited division. I dropped 1.33 seconds bringing it to 88% that gets me 1.52% away from making A class. Peak times for limited division are kind of tough shooting all production legal gear plus a magwell. That same stage time of 11.25 seconds would be 93.33% for production.

The main takeaway for me today is,,,,,,,, I need to always tape up my support hand (pain really affected me the last two stages) and I don’t like front fiber optic sights for steel (ignoring the rear sight is not conducive to clean strings)

#51 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

05/05

5 -10” plates spaced 12” with up to 12” height difference @ 12 yards, low ready 200 rounds with the gen3.

Observations:
Fun drill, did some strings shooting doubles and triples. Also 2 mags of SHO. Good clean single hit strings 2.2 to 2.3 seconds. My low ready starts were a couple 10ths slow today,,,,, not sure why.

Shot 2 mags 12” plate @50 yards (34 rounds) with 29 hits (not great)

Gen3 30sf 100 rounds, low ready, same 5 plates. The 230gr loads I grabbed were hitting low (trashed 1 2x4)
2 mags 12” plate @50 yards (20 rounds) 19 hits

Observations:
I started my practice with this, didn’t track times timer just for start signal. Every time I take this pistol out I’m pleasantly surprised how well it shoots, even SHO. The only downside is getting randomly pelted with brass.

#52 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

05/12

Had to skip a USPSA classifier match today because of work,,,, that’s the bad news. The good news is I picked up one of the new Ruger PCC’s. The thing is awesome! It chewed through every bullet profile and load I could scrounge up, it even ran with any brand of magazine in my inventory. I’ve always been extremely fond of the M1 carbine, and this little rifle is somewhat like a modern incarnation.
I know PCC is dumb but $519 with ZERO additional investment is a awfully cheap way to play. I’m not even contemplating optics the factory irons are completely serviceable.

#53 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

PCC is not dumb. It is the greatest of all divisions.

Shooting PCC with an iron sighted Ruger is dumb.

#54 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

PCC is not dumb. It is the greatest of all divisions.Shooting PCC with an iron sighted Ruger is dumb.

It’s not completely dumb for iron sight PCC in Steel Challenge.

#55 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

05/13

300 rounds through the Ruger PCC. 10” Steel plates @ 25 yards. Also got the sights fine tuned.
I really wanted to be practicing with my limited gear for Area 1 next week but I injured my strong hand middle finger the other day. I think letting it heel is more beneficial than a few more practices before the big show.

#56 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

I’m looking forward to hearing about how it works for you in Steel Challenge.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#57 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

I’m looking forward to hearing about how it works for you in Steel Challenge.

I can’t see how it won’t work so far, 600 rounds no malfunctions. I also didn’t see the benefit of it being a take down, until I went to clean it last night........nice.
  • ZackJones likes this

#58 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

05/17

Preparations for Area 1 Championship:

Ran my match USPSA ammo through the chronograph again just to ease my mind. I guess I’m as ready as I can be. It will be interesting how things shake out shooting limited minor,

#59 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

05/17

Preparations for Area 1 Championship:

Ran my match USPSA ammo through the chronograph again just to ease my mind. I guess I’m as ready as I can be. It will be interesting how things shake out shooting limited minor,

4a895b484145f363bacfeaddfcff32285ea40e53

• racetaco likes this

#60 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

05/20

Area 1 USPSA Championship

Great match, great squad, and great staff.

This was by leaps & bounds the WORST I have ever performed and I don’t know why. I pegged more no shoots and had more mikes than all the USPSA matches I’ve done combined. I’m not going to list excuses why things went wrong, I just sucked. Honestly the only stage I’m happy with the outcome is the chrono. I’m glad I went and didn’t let my inability to do ANYTHING right destroy a very enjoyable weekend. I think this match was probably more beneficial to me because of doing badly. Two days of working my mental program to stay positive and not give up was quite a workout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users