ISSA match:

Production
1st place center fire
1st in division

Center fire optics
2nd place center fire
2nd place in division

Observations:
This is such a fun game and I hope it grows! I can’t put into words how much I would recommend someone giving this a try. Having to use your brain a little to remember a shooting order or figure out the best order is a fun change from Steel Challenge. I had a few brain fart strings but overall I’m very happy with my performance. It was kind of interesting to run two nearly identical guns with the exception of one having a red dot sight. My production time was 2.5 seconds faster which doesn’t surprise me only having the CO gun for two days. I actually expected a bigger disparity in times.

#82 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

07/02

Practice:
Gen4 MOS
238 rounds, 10” & 12” plates @ 25 yards

Observations:
Tried a variety of different loads with a 15# recoil spring. My 125gr blue bullet green dot load has the fewest brass to dot collisions. The majority of this session was spent pushing full transition speed. Shooting with the dot is interesting because it makes subtle irregularities in my form very visible. I’m curious to see in the long term what division I’ll Classify highest in.

#83 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

07/03

Testing & practice:
300 rounds
Gen3
Gen4
Gen5

Observations:
This was more of a POI-POA & function testing session with some 25 yard group shooting and 50 yard plate work sprinkled in. The main reason was just to be out on a nice 65 degree day, I didn’t feel like training speed or anything important.
Things of note:
My 147gr USPSA load and 115 Steel load hit the dot almost every shot on the Gen4.
115gr HAP with 3.8gr of green dot & fed 200 primer was quite accurate in all 3 guns.
I put a all black front sight on the Gen5, and grip tape on the Gen4 & 5

#84 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

07/04

SC practice:
Gen4
150 rounds

Observations:
Set up a “round about” type arrangement, low ready starts no timer. I had all the ammo preloaded in mags and just burned strings as fast as possible, probably 80% hits.

#85 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

If you like the 115 HAP you might consider trying the 115 JHP from Precision Delta. They shoot just as well as the HAP from my Glocks but are much more economical than the HAP, especially when purchased 2000 at a time.

I started with the HAP as my match bullet but now use the 115 JHP from Precision Delta.

#86 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

If you like the 115 HAP you might consider trying the 115 JHP from Precision Delta. They shoot just as well as the HAP from my Glocks but are much more economical than the HAP, especially when purchased 2000 at a time.I started with the HAP as my match bullet but now use the 115 JHP from Precision Delta.

I agree with you on that, the only reason I have some HAP’s is I had Cabelas bucks to use up.

#87 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

07/06

Practice:
Gen5 & 4
100 rounds

Observations:
Today was a quick session on transition speed. 10” plate @ 15 yards & a 12” plate @ 10 yards with a 2 yard spacing. Back and forth trying to get comfortable with being in .2’s. I can once I’m warmed up and having a good day, but I need that to be my cold normal transition speed. Pushing in practice is paying off, although I’m not seeing any speed gains with the dot yet.....well at least inside 15 yards. Finished off the night with 15 rounds with the Gen4 on the 50 yard plate, and went 15 for 15.

#88 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

07/10

Practice:
Gen4
300 rounds

Observations:
Open paper @ 7 & 30 yards, back and forth (3 pairs on the 30 yard & 2 pairs on the 7)
Most strings around 7-8 seconds clean, best run 6.03 clean, picked up a few “random” close C’s
Overall a productive practice, I’m trying to burn into my stupid brain that I need to give the second shot at the far target the respect it deserves. My goal for the GSSF match in Billings is to be sub 50 seconds, with my head screwed on right that shouldn’t be a unrealistic expectation.

#89 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

07/14

USPSA match:
2nd place overall
2nd place in carry optics

Observations:
Fun match, awesome squad. 110 A’s 5 C’s 1 mike.
It was a tough match for me because of the heat and having 2 reshoots, one for RO interference and the classifier because it had the wrong size poppers. My first run on that stage was my best ever on a classifier, and the reshoot I picked up a close C... oh well.
83.99% of the match winner, not bad for my first try at CO.

#90 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

07/15

Steel Challenge match:
1st place overall
1st place in carry optics
2nd place overall
1st place in production

Observations:
CO 76.60%
Pendulum 76.78%
Speed option 86.66%
Outer limits 68.29%
Showdown 68.63%
5 To Go 85.30%

Production 75.37%
Pendulum 76.31%
Speed option 69.12%
Outer limits 77.87%
Showdown 81.33%
5 To Go 74.38%

Overall things went OK, honestly I was still tired from the day before. I’m surprised about doing better in CO than production. It was cool to make A class the first time out, considering it took me over a year to do that in production.

#91 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

I did a little more math with yesterday’s steel challenge times. Looks like I dropped my total time for production by 5.78 seconds, bringing my total to 120.86 (81.08%). If I can shave another 3.92 seconds I’ll make master! It’s funny that my favorite part of this game is getting home and doing the calculations
  • ralloway likes this

#92 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

08/03

Practice:
G43, 200 rounds
Open paper @ 10 yards & 25 yards

Observations:
I picked up this G43 today at blue label price with the salute to veterans promo Glock has been running. I already had a plug, Dawson all black sights, and some grip tape for it at home. It fed and functioned with my 115, 125, and 147gr loads, and all three loads hit to POA at both 10 & 25 yards. The little bugger is surprisingly accurate but..... not surprisingly some what NOT enjoyable to actually shoot. None the less it should fill it’s intended roll for pocket Glock at GSSF. I can’t ever see it replacing my J-frame for pocket carry.
I finished this practice with 2 mags on the 50 yard plate and went 11 for 12.

#93 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

08/04

Practice:
G43, 100 rounds
Gen5, 150 rounds

Observations:
I put another 100 rounds through the G43 this morning. I would have shot it more but it was starting to irritate my hands. I went back out in the afternoon to run a drill my brother has been doing, 2 open papers @ 7 yards and a 12” plate @ 40 yards. Doubles on each paper and the steel then reload and repeat. This drill was more difficult than I anticipated, the best time I was able to get was 7.78 with quite a few runs in the low 8’s. Best reload was 1.32 which is quite good for me.

#94 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

08/05

ISSA match:

CLR (center fire low ready)
Gen5
1st in center fire
1st in division

CRO (center fire optics)
Gen4
2nd in center fire
1st in division

Observations:
Super fun match as always. Definitely had a few train wreck strings, but was able to laugh it off and keep plugging away. I chose to shoot the low ready division in preparation for GSSF match next weekend.

#95 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

08/07

Steel Challenge match:

Carry optics
3rd in center fire
2nd in division
72.24%

Limited
4th in center fire
1st in division
70.81%

Observations:
I expected to be off my usual 75% and above percentage because of traveling this morning instead of last night. But I still had fun and made some small improvements. I dropped my limited total time by 5.77 seconds which should get me into A class with 76.95%. I had a really good showing on Smoke & Hope with a time of 10.91- 91.65%.

In CO two of my stages went down the drain with no improvements. One stage was a tiny bit better by .12 seconds, and the fourth was my first time for CO at Smoke & Hope with 11.82- 84.60%. My total division percentage should bump up to 77.70%.

I don’t think I’ll have many more opportunities to shoot Steel Challenge this season, and NEED to really get my shit together if I want to get into M class. All three divisions (CO, Limited, & Production) have quite a few Master level stages on my record, it’s just the crappy B class stuff holding me back. I wish I could shoot eight stage matches, four or five stages a month is a long road to travel.

#96 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

08/12

GSSF match:

Competition, G17 Gen3
1st place (MatchMeister)

Master Stock, G17 Gen3
1st place

Pocket, G43
1st place

Major Sub, G30
1st place

Unlimited, G17 Gen4
2nd place

Sub Compact, G30
2nd place

Heavy Metal, G30
2nd place

Observations:
The good: 4 firsts and 3 seconds WAY better than I expected to do. Starting with Glock-M then 5 to Glock and finishing with the plates is the best order for me.
The bad: I shot all 7 divisions in a row which is just too much shooting packed into an hour and a 45 minuets. Next year I’ll space things out more. It was hard to keep my focus and my hands got tired, also the guns didn’t have time to cool off any. 5 to Glock seemed to be a particularly difficult setup, the far target was a big time C and D zone magnet. Next time I will give it the respect it needs. Also I won’t start with the G30 divisions, I think it would be more productive to start with the G17.

#97 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

08/18

Practice:
Gen3 17
200 rounds

Observations:
2 10”, 2 12”, & a 6” Steel @ 15 yards.
Focused on maximum transition speed on the bigger plates and coming in to the 6” hard with a deliberate trigger pull and sight picture to make 100% hits. I did very well on the 6” stop plate but was too sloppy on the other four plates. I’m thinking next time I’ll put the 6” in the middle instead of the far left and shoot my S&H order.

Side note:
Went to clean my Gen4 and found the dot mounting screws had loosened up a lot. The dot could move around quite a bit, which makes me wonder if that was the cause of my crap longer range hit in unlimited division last weekend. More importantly WHY didn’t I check or notice it, I have always put paint pen reference marks on screws just for that reason.
I’ve done a lot of contemplating about my last GSSF match and have come to the conclusion that if I wasn’t in such a rush to get done and on my way home I could have won all 7 divisions. Oh well there’s always next year.

#98 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

08/26

Testing:
300 rounds

So I did some work on the Gen5 17 this week. Dropped in an Apex flat trigger and connector, took off the backstrap, cut all the checkering off, used epoxy puddy to form thumb rests and fill the dimples on the sides of the grip, then epoxied 120 grit silicon carbide on the entire grip. I’ll rate the different “upgrades” individually.
Apex trigger:
I like the feel, less over travel, and possibly makes shooting slow fire groups a little easier. Pushing speed on steel I don’t even notice it’s there. I don’t think it’s a big enough upgrade to justify the cost, but worth experimenting with.

Thumb rests:
Friggn AWESOME! Especially SHO. The front rest is as big as I could make it and still function with my CompTac holster.

Grit & glue job:
Love it!! Endless traction without cutting up my hands like coarser grip tape does. I’m very glad I went with 120 grit! I didn’t do the prettiest job of masking, so it doesn’t look the most professional. I plan on doing a better job on one of my free Gen3 17’s when they come in.

#99 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

08/26

Testing:
Gen3 31 (plasma cannon)
30 rounds

Tried a new load 125gr Sierra jhp,10gr of Blue Dot, wspp.
Went 20 for 20 on the 50 yard plate.

#100 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

08/28

Testing:
19x
300 rounds

Observations:
Picked up a 19x last night and got the opportunity to try it out a little after work today. Overall I really like it, I’ve never been a fan of the standard G19 grip and this model fixes that. This thing balances well, tracks well, and seems to cycle a little faster than a 17. The trigger is super for a factory Glock, but as to be expected the stock night sights SUCK. Ejection was better than my Gen5 17, and accuracy was slightly better than the 17. I tried my 115 steel load, 125 USPSA load, and my 147 carry load, all functioned but printed a little bit low with these sights. I can see this being a good candidate for slide milling and a DPP. I would have never gotten one of these if I had to pay full price but blue label pice was very reasonable, bummer they aren’t on the GSSF certs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users