Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

12/27

Practice:
Gen3 17 #2
250 rounds
G31
10 rounds

Observations:
I set up a simulated plate rack using 8” paper plates @ 11 yards (GSSF). It’s not the same without the reaction of steel. Best strings in the 2.4’s average clean strings 2.6-2.7 seconds. My low ready starts were incredibly slow today, and I’ll contribute that partly to the cold and having so much clothing on.....but mostly sucking.

I tested the 124 match winner bullets in 357 sig with blue dot & federal 200 primers, I wasn’t shooting well enough to get any reliable accuracy results.

#142 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

12/28

Practice:
Gen3 17 # 2&3
100 rounds
Gen5 17
50 rounds

Observations:
25 yard drill, 50 yard plate, long range plate. Nothing worthwhile results wise to annotate, I probably should have just gone fishing.

#143 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

12/29

2018 season wrap:

Matches
2- GSSF
3- USPSA
4- ISSA
8-SCSA

Practice
83 days, 14,000+ rounds

Goals
99% using one platform......yes
SCSA make master...... almost
GSSF make master.......yes
Defensive pistol matches..... (club cancelled them this year) so N/A
USPSA make at least B.......nope (epic area 1 fail)
No regrets......................................................................................................ABSOLUTELY NONE!!

Observations:
I had a great year! I didn’t quite reach all the goals set at the beginning of this year, but I came friggn close. I don’t think my shooting made huge improvements, and that’s OK because what I really needed was to improve my mental game and match performance. That was the biggest advance I made.
I need to put some real thought into my goals and plans for 2019.

#144 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

What do you think you need to improve upon to make B in USPSA?

That’s generally a pretty easy goal for someone who has been practicing any amount, for a year or more. I exepct someone who regualrly updates an online journal to make B without a lot of struggle.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#145 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

What do you think you need to improve upon to make B in USPSA?

That’s generally a pretty easy goal for someone who has been practicing any amount, for a year or more. I exepct someone who regualrly updates an online journal to make B without a lot of struggle.

All I need to do is shoot enough classifiers next year and I could probably jump into A class. It just wasn’t a priority this season, I can only go to so many matches and Steel was my top choice.

#146 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

01/04

Testing:
Gen4 17
300 rounds

Observations:
I picked up a Zev slide milled for a DPP yesterday, and pulled all the guts out of the factory MOS slide & the dot. It felt very rough and tight but there was no malfunctions. After sighting it in plus running 300 rounds through it and a cleaning it has smoothed out. It seems to have made ejection far more consistent. I haven’t spent any effort trying to test if it improved accuracy, but I’m confident it’s at least as good as the factory slide. I think the way the DPP attaches to this slide is way stronger than the MOS. If you weren’t sure what dot to use I can see it as an option, but I just had too much trouble with the screws backing out to trust it.

#147 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

01/11

Practice:
Gen3 17 #2
100 rounds
Gen4 DPP
100 rounds
19x
100 rounds

Observations:
I set up pendulum and shot it fron 25 & 15 yards. I didn’t really put a hard focus on any particular skills, just wanted to kind of get back into the steel groove.

#148 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

01/12

Practice:
Gen3 17 #2
500 rounds
19x
100 rounds
RFPO
100 rounds

Observations:
I did two separate sessions today an AM and a PM. I built an additional plate stand so I could set up a simulated plate rack (6 plates).
In the AM I worked on pushing absolute peak speed, best strings in the very low 2’s. When I went back out in the afternoon I started with the 17 treating the first four strings as if it was a match. Times were 2.42, 2.41, 2.42, 2.42 for a total of 9.67 needless to say I was VERY pleased! The rest of the practice was spent just having fun. My expectation for match mode was to be around 12 seconds and after CRUSHING that time I was in too good of a mood for true focus.
On a side note, I’ve been experimenting on shooting with gloves. Results have been mixed, grip has been awesome but trigger control has not. I think getting proficient while using gloves could be a decisive advantage for early spring time matches, with the added benefit of longer more efficient winter practice.

#149 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

01/13

Practice:
G30sf
100 rounds
Gen3 17 #2
150 rounds
RFPO
100 rounds

Observations:
Simulated plate rack @ 15 yards and some long rang plate. Plate rack work was slow and some what frustrating today. I spent the morning reloading so some of my shortcomings I’l Contribute to tired hands.

#150 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

01/26

Testing:
PCC irons
Gen3 17 #2
G43
100 rounds

Observations:
The first steel match of the season is scheduled for next weekend (if road conditions allow) I plan on shooting production & PCCI so I wanted to do a little function testing before hand. I haven’t been able to practice the last few weeks because of hand problems from work, but I don’t think some time off the trigger is a bad thing. I did a couple mags through the G43 to try out some new grip tape work witch came out well.

#151 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

01/27

Testing:
Gen3 17 #2
40 rounds

Observations:
Did a little crono work with some 115gr loads using BE-86. I’ve had a few pounds laying around from when it first came out and figured I’d use it up on a batch of practice ammo. I find it has more blast & recoil for the same PF of my normal powder.

#152 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

02/02

Steel Challenge match:

Production
Gen3 17 #3
1st in division, 3rd overall in main match

PCCI
Ruger
1st in division, 3rd overall in PCC

Observations:
It was AWESOME getting to shoot a match in February! I didn’t best any of my times in production, and only did well (80%+) in two of the five stages with PCCI. I didn’t expect to perform great, I never do with a five in a half hour drive the morning of. The weather was total crap with 40+ mph wind, and found it especially hard to be steady with the rifle. I learned some stuff this being the first Steel match with the PCC, my electronic ear pro doesn’t allow a proper cheek weld and even though there’s no draw take your friggn coat off.

#153 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:26 PM

02/22

Testing:
G26
300 rounds

Observations:
Picked up a GSSF cert. Gen5 G26 yesterday and put on Dawson sights, grip tape & plug. I also put factory +2 extensions on 4 of the 5 magazines. I didn’t do any serious work with this gun today, just played around at 10 & 25 yard paper getting a feel for it. I did go 24 for 24 on my 50 yard plate, so I’m inclined to think this is a workable model for me. If it’s tolerable outside the rest of this weekend I’ll try and discover it’s ammo preference and get an idea for what kind of times are realistic compared to a G17 & G43.

#154 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:31 AM

02/24

Practice?
G26
200 rounds

Observations.
High of 9 degrees so obviously had to go out and shoot. Set up 3 paper target spaced 6”+ feet apart @10 yards. Mainly worked Blake drills with some head box strings and ended with the long range plate going above 25% hits. Still have made any ammunition determination for this gun, I don’t seem to feel much difference between PF’s the only change is the noise level.

#155 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

03/08

Practice-testing:
G26
300 rounds

Observations:
First day of that it’s above negative zero! I played around at the 25 yard drill trying different loads with the G26. I didn’t do anything great, most strings clean with the best being 5 or 6 X. So far it’s looking like my 135gr blue bullet load has a slight accuracy advantage. A shooting friend of mine has the same Gen5 26 and has found it to be rather picky, with the best results coming from 147gr loads. I’m hoping mine isn’t the same, I don’t want to get into the heavy bullets again.

#156 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

03/09

Practice/ testing:
G26
100 rounds
Gen3 17 #2 (comped barrel)
44 rounds
G43
30 rounds
40. PCC
200 rounds

Observations:
G26- still trying different loads, today 115gr with WST was showing promise. Mostly clean strings, best was 6X.
Gen3 17- I put up a 9X with the same 115gr WST load, 124gr with WST sucked.
G43- 2 out of 3 strings clean, best was only 3X
PCC- I put a new dot on this gun and I’m very pleased. I wish the JRC had last shot hold open, but for Steel Challenge it shouldn’t ever be an issue. I went 20 for 20 on my long range plate.

#157 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

03/10

Practice/ testing
All my Glock 9mm’s
300 rounds

Observations:
25 yard drill testing the WST 115gr load. I’ll start with the good, 10X with the Gen4 DPP and 8X with Gen3 #1. The bad...... my Gen5 17 groups this load like a shotgun, that doesn’t surprise me it has never liked 115gr loads.
With Everglades V2 115gr hollow points this load has been more accurate than my Green Dot load. I ordered some RMR 115gr “match winners” to test, I’m hoping they are as impressive as the 124’s have been.

#158 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

03/15 & 03/16

Practice/ testing
All 9mm Glocks
600 rounds

Observations:
I loaded up a bunch of the 115gr RMR match winners. I’m absolutely thrilled with these bullets, they have performed well in every Glock I have. It’s awesome that I can have just one 9mm load for every division. I did a bunch of the 25 yard drill and set up 5 to Glock. My results from today showed that putting the work into 25 yard accuracy this winter has paid off, most of my strings were clean with the worst ones only being down 1 C. Times averaged a little slower than normal mainly because of my low ready starts being shit.

#159 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

03/17

Practice:
G30
200 rounds
G26, G17 #1, 19x
300 rounds

Observations:
I ran 5 to Glock again, I pushed my speed harder than yesterday and picked up a corresponding increase in C zone hits. With the G30 I did 15 strings with a grand total of 5 C’s. I’ll take that! Especially considering my stage setup is more difficult that a real match.

#160 u sofa king we todd ed

u sofa king we todd ed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

You do realize that there is no one here to read your practice journal, right? This place is more dead than eunuchs underpants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users