58 replies to this topic

#1 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

I recently shot someone else's .45 reloads that were softer and flatter than my shitty factory Freedom 115 gr 9mm and this plus my credit card bill has inspired me to actually maybe make some damn ammo on the peasant 550B that's been waiting patiently for me for months now.  Stories of blowing up my face will probably ensue, but first, a question:

I have read all the threads on Doodie about how to clean brass.  Cement mixers, rock tumblers, corncob, stainless steel pins, food dehydrators, outside vs. inside, Lemishine, Dawn, Armor-All, etc.  Yes, yes, all of this is beautiful and I'm sure I'll wind up doing it someday.  But right now I just want to produce some small-batch non-automated artisan ammo that doesn't blow my face up.

So the question I have is this:

Do I have to clean my brass?

80% of the internet seems to say "YOU SHOULD OR YOU'RE A BAD PERSON," 10% says "YOU HAVE TO OR YOU'LL BLOW YOUR FACE OFF," and 10% says "No you don't have to because people managed to not blow their faces off for a long time prior to the advent of mass case cleaning solutions, but it's prettier if you do."

Doodie seems to accept unquestioningly, as a group, that brass must be cleaned, but let's be real: Doodie, as a group, likes shiny things, is OCD, and has mostly automated to the point where cleaning makes the automation run more smoothly.  I'm asking about non-automated peasant mode on a 550B.

Go.

• el.kuglov1953 likes this

#2 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

One dude in my club never cleans his brass and his stuff appears to function.

• ShootsLikeaDog likes this

#3 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

All my brass is indoor range pickup stuff, once-fired by cops in training. Pretty much the best case scanrio for brass acquisition.

I still give it a 20 minute tumble in lizard bedding from Petco (cheap source of crushed walnut) because it goes through the press much more smoothly.

I couldn’t give fewer fucks about how shiny it is: ugly and beaten but reliable guns are much more intersting to me than hardchromed safe queens, and I don’t feel much differently about my brass.
  • u sofa king we todd ed likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#4 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

If you're too lazy to clean your brass you deserve having a stuck case in your chamber.  Which will negate the damage you've done to your tendons to improve in a split second.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#5 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

I remember reading in a Lee book that he didn't bother to clean his brass.  I don't know where you shoot, but if it doesn't have grit/rocks in it, I can't see that you have to do it.  I mean, you're using a 550 so you've proven you do not give a red fuck.  Fuck the man and do what you want!

• Ben, aceinyerface, CH3NO2 and 2 others like this

#6 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

You're just going to have to buy a tumbler and some media; clean brass shoot it...then load and shoot without cleaning it to see cleaning is needed.

I am an inventor and Firearms Industry Subject Matter Expert. 

#7 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

I remember reading in a Lee book that he didn't bother to clean his brass. I don't know where you shoot, but if it doesn't have grit/rocks in it, I can't see that you have to do it. I mean, you're using a 550 so you've proven you do not give a red fuck. Fuck the man and do what you want!

Pretty much this. To get rid of

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

If you clean the range before you shoot on it you shouldn’t need to clean the brass ‘nuff said.

#9 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

FFS you own hundreds and thousands of dollars in gear, get a fucking $40 tumbler so your brass doesn't look like it was in a goat's ass.

• Motosapiens, LeadChucker, ShootsLikeaDog and 1 other like this

#10 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

FFS you own hundreds and thousands of dollars in gear, get a fucking $40 tumbler so your brass doesn't look like it was in a goat's ass.

This. But if you're too lazy, put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the washing machine with some rags or in the dishwasher. I'm sure you'll eventually fuck up either appliance but look all that money you saved by not buying a tumbler.

• Ben likes this

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#11 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Polishing your brass will help it run through the dies more smoothly. It is not like this is a high effort/high cost process.

#12 ShootsLikeaDog

ShootsLikeaDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

All my brass is indoor range pickup stuff, once-fired by cops in training. Pretty much the best case scanrio for brass acquisition.

I still give it a 20 minute tumble in lizard bedding from Petco (cheap source of crushed walnut) because it goes through the press much more smoothly.

Fair.  The stuff I'd be using for this particular application is factory reman and/or new indoor pickup, though I do plan to add some kind of cleaning solution eventually for the stuff that isn't.

If you're too lazy to clean your brass you deserve having a stuck case in your chamber.  Which will negate the damage you've done to your tendons to improve in a split second.

You are definitely underestimating just how bad I was prior to the tendon shredding.  I could probably field-strip and reassemble and still be able to finish faster than I could before.

You're just going to have to buy a tumbler and some media; clean brass shoot it...then load and shoot without cleaning it to see cleaning is needed.

I think I would be more likely to wait for ToddKS to stick another box of shiny, shiny prepped 9mm in the Doodie classifieds.  Because so shiny.  And also so lazy.

Goat-Caliber Carbine: the new hotness?

This. But if you're too lazy, put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the washing machine with some rags or in the dishwasher. I'm sure you'll eventually fuck up either appliance but look all that money you saved by not buying a tumbler.

To give me full credit for laziness, it's not really even the money.  It's paralysis by analysis and too many starting variables.  Dry or wet?  Inside or outside?  What kind of media?  How to sort the media out, if using reusable media?  What kind of tumbler?  How long to run?  What ingredients to use, if wet-tumbling?  Buy a food dehydrator or put it on cookie sheets in the oven?  IT'S ALL SO HARD!

#13 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Cheap tumbler + media + cheap plastic noodle strainer is cheaper than new dies. If you're investing the time to load on a 550b why not use clean brass.
  • ralloway likes this

#14 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationExposed. In the flesh.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Shiny sparkly brass is for people who are afraid to mess up their manicure.

Throw the junk in a bucket with hot water and some dish soap. Drink a beer and stir a couple of times. Rinse, let dry and You're g2g.

~ Does Your lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#15 CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

i just tumble them clean , not looking for highly polished 

for the the lil bit of time and the tumbler doing all the work..

why risk the old saying ~~~>    garbage in - garbage out

NITRO
Nitromethane, nitrous oxide, nitrocellulose ....3 of my favorite things
To be sure of hitting the target , shoot 1st and call what ever u hit the target.

#16 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationExposed. In the flesh.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Getting out of bed is a risk. Man up dammit.

~ Does Your lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#17 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Dirty carboned brass goes through the machine easier than clean stuff.

Ive done it when needed. It will be fine.

Ps rocks break decapping pins.
  • warpspeed and MEISTERB like this

#18 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Lol - dirty brass! That is the least of your problems...

You're reloading for the first time on a 550 which means the probability of you double charging a case and blowing your shit up is virtually assured.

#19 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Lol - dirty brass! That is the least of your problems...
You're reloading for the first time on a 550 which means the probability of you double charging a case and blowing your shit up is virtually assured.

The type of guy that blows shit up will do it no matter what model press is used.
The 550 is good machine,,, if you have time to spend and stay off the sauce.

#20 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Fair.  The stuff I'd be using for this particular application is factory reman and/or new indoor pickup, though I do plan to add some kind of cleaning solution eventually for the stuff that isn't.

You are definitely underestimating just how bad I was prior to the tendon shredding.  I could probably field-strip and reassemble and still be able to finish faster than I could before.

I think I would be more likely to wait for ToddKS to stick another box of shiny, shiny prepped 9mm in the Doodie classifieds.  Because so shiny.  And also so lazy.

Goat-Caliber Carbine: the new hotness?

To give me full credit for laziness, it's not really even the money.  It's paralysis by analysis and too many starting variables.  Dry or wet?  Inside or outside?  What kind of media?  How to sort the media out, if using reusable media?  What kind of tumbler?  How long to run?  What ingredients to use, if wet-tumbling?  Buy a food dehydrator or put it on cookie sheets in the oven?  IT'S ALL SO HARD!

You're in the wrong forum.  Benos will love you moar.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users