6 replies to this topic

#1 Beef

Beef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

I started shooting USPSA in Aug '16. Started in Production classified C, shot Limited major for a couple months classed C, went back to Pro % has crawled up but still C, got bored and frustrated switched to CO in October unclassified not looking good, but matches my abysmal match performance usually landing somewhere around mid pack 45-55% of high overall. Last couple matches had some major ammo related jams and a badly botched unloaded start or I may have actually broken out of that area a little. Got a hundo so the ammo situation should be squared.

I shoot about 75% of points available and 70% As, most of the points down and non A hits I'd venture are on classifiers and stages heavy with hard cover and no shoots. With the dot I'm generally shooting as many or more points than the division stage winner, I didn't pay attention to this before.

Practice mostly consists of dry fire I try for 20/30 minutes 5 nights a week, mostly using Ben's book, or I might set up small stages. With production gear I thought I was doing pretty good meeting the par times on draw, reload, transitions, and other stuff, I think I was lying to myself about "hits", when I switched to the dot I was about 0.2s over on most of them but sure A "hits", I've whittled many of the fundamentals to the par beep. I live fire practice once a week if I don't shoot a match, it's been pretty unstructured, but I'm working on that.

What I've realized, I'm fuckin slow obviously, I used to think it was just my movement position to position cause that's what observers told me, shitty classifiers should have been a clue this wasn't the only area. I do know that is a partial cause as I will sometimes literally pause and think what next before leaving a position, seems to be happening less lately as I have really been trying to burn in stage plans and not change them last after the walk thru period.

The other day I clearly demonstrated to myself I  was slow at every damn thing in a live fire practice. My range has a plate rack, I'm lazy, cheap, and forgetful so a lot of my live fire involves it. 

10yd draw to an 8" plate or lower A is at best 1.40s usually in the 1.5-.6 range. Not sure why my live fire draw is almost a second longer than dry fire.

I do a reload drill on the rack of two plates, reload, two plates, reload, two and the reloads shot to shot are 2.34-2.8 with no real consistency, best I can find in my notes was 2.13, shitty but probably not a place to put mass effort? I really only started hitting them in dry fire after not fully seating a mag on an unloaded start murdered a stage.

Just running the rack L-R I'm 0.8 slower than a time I found for Rob L. I'm @ 3.33 with a 1.56 draw and feeling almost out of control transitioning, guessing a massive amount of that difference is in the draw.

If you read this drivel this far then I'm all ears for advice, I don't know if I'll update this with any frequency or not.

• zapedKag likes this

#2 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

You practice quite a lot... are you pushing the speed at all when dry?

Post some video.

• MEISTERB likes this

#3 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

That's got to be a typo, right? You only shoot 75% of the points?

#4 Beef

Beef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

You practice quite a lot... are you pushing the speed at all when dry?

Post some video.

To be totally honest it's a bit sporadic, like go at with that frequency for a couple months then say fuck it for a week or three, only started dry firing in maybe June or July, felt like there was some immediate improvement then nothing. I try to push speed in dry fire, but a lot of times I see the sights getting real sloppy and pull it back. I'll see if I can get someone to video the match this Saturday. 

That's got to be a typo, right? You only shoot 75% of the points?

That's what that snazzy bar graph on the stats page tells me, 76.68% of points available. 

#5 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Don't use that graph, use observation of your latest match results.

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

The truth will set you free.

TEST your dry fire results with live fire practice, then recalibrate how you dry fire.
  • Motosapiens likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#7 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

The truth will set you free.

TEST your dry fire results with live fire practice, then recalibrate how you dry fire.

additionally, considering doing some dryfire at the range. do a few live fire reps, then some dryfire reps. observe the differences. notice what you are doing different (i.e. being lazy and sloppy about) in dryfire.

figure out what you need to see and do to get an acceptable hit in live fire, and replicate that stuff in dryfire.... only faster.

Also, consider some drills to break through the slowness. spend a few mins drawing to a target at 5 yards are less. or an array of 3 targets at that distance. Learn what it feels like to shoot really fast while still observing what the gun is doing. Just try to get all the shots on paper and don't worry about alphas...... Once you know what it feels like to go fast, start adding some accuracy back in. You will probably be surprised at how much of that speed you can keep.

• GuanoLoco, Matt1 and Beef like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users