47 replies to this topic

#1 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

I went to Enos but am only getting advice from CheesyDick and one other tanfo user so I'm bringin it here too. Ive searched the shit out of this problem and the general consensus is to buy a bunch of extractors and land on a working one. 

My tanfo will leave a fired case in the chamber. Somehow the extractor is slipping off of the rim. I thought I solved the problem by increasing the tension by filing the tab behind the extractor hook and installing the XP extractor spring, but it is coming back. Any of the tanfo users on here come across this and know what exactly to do to fix it besides trying out numerous different extractors and luckily landing on a working one? The two extractors this has happened with so far are an unmarked one and one with a 9 and three dots marked on it. It has what I would think is a lot of tension to hold a round but I guess I could increase to have more tension? The two extractors I have are different in a lot of areas, but both dont work 100% reliable.

• el.kuglov1953 likes this

#2 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Probably doesn't matter, but this is an unreamed barrel rounds loaded at 1.085-1.090.

#3 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Is it leaving them entirely in the chamber or does it also stovepipe?

#4 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

Stays entirely in the chamber. Next round trying to feed into an already occupied chamber jams the slide and doesnt let the mag drop, clearing the malfunction is very time consuming. 

#5 spk

spk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'd be checking your chamber and or brass length, sounds like the case is tight in the chamber and the extractor simply can't deal with it.

#6 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

When clearing it the case falls out with no issues. I pull the mag out, rack the slide, case comes out at that point with no extra effort, insert new mag, rack away and keep it movin. All rounds are case gauged prior to shooting, it has happened with once fired same headstamp Speer in great condition sporadically. Happens more with mixed brass. Last practice it happened twice with RP brass. once with the Speer same stamp.

#7 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Is it leaving them entirely in the chamber or does it also stovepipe?

You must have a lot of tanfos and have gone through a few extractors at this point. Do you ever modify the shape of the extractor or add tension to a stock extractor when swapping them out? Can you add too much tension on the extractor or is the more the better?

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

I can tell you I did that working to get good extraction on the open model and was wondering whether you’d benefit from that. Of course once you do it you can’t undo it and I did, as you suggest, have an extra extractor around in case.

But I’d be surprised if the 9 model extractor needed that - is the spring tension good?

My first impulse would be toward the ammo side. I’d shoot a box of good factory ammo and if the problem doesn’t appear then it is ammo.

If the problem does appear then sell the stock 2 and get an infinity and shoot open but in 40 so people are wary of you and respect you as a maverick willing to put your belief in true power factor over match results but actually they are laughing at you and you sell the 40 open gun at a big loss and then go carry optics with a sig x five but get bumped back into open but minor because Phil’s mag pads.
  • Will and ralloway like this

On injured reserve.

#9 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

I can tell you I did that working to get good extraction on the open model and was wondering whether you’d benefit from that. Of course once you do it you can’t undo it and I did, as you suggest, have an extra extractor around in case.

But I’d be surprised if the 9 model extractor needed that - is the spring tension good?

My first impulse would be toward the ammo side. I’d shoot a box of good factory ammo and if the problem doesn’t appear then it is ammo.

If the problem does appear then sell the stock 2 and get an infinity and shoot open but in 40 so people are wary of you and respect you as a maverick willing to put your belief in true power factor over match results but actually they are laughing at you and you sell the 40 open gun at a big loss and then go carry optics with a sig x five but get bumped back into open but minor because Phil’s mag pads.

I hope your wrong about the ammo suggestion. I have 5-6000 rounds loaded up of this shit. All loaded with Blue pills at 1.085-1.090 Plunks and spins, same headstamp once fired nickel plated Speer and chronos at 135PF

#10 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

I figure a box of decent factory ammo would answer that for you.  I did grind down the stop on the 38 super version to grab 38 SC but then had an epiphany and just put a 9 version in it.  

I admit to using a U-die for 9 due to the peaceful, easy feeling it gives me on the random brass I load.  But, I just shoot that for fun, not super serial actual matches.

On injured reserve.

#11 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Polish the chamber.
  • Trigger Warning likes this

#12 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

You need an FRC super-JACK extractor upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• GuruOfGuns and ToddKS like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#13 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

You must have a lot of tanfos and have gone through a few extractors at this point. Do you ever modify the shape of the extractor or add tension to a stock extractor when swapping them out? Can you add too much tension on the extractor or is the more the better?

Too much tension can cause the extractor not to function but that will show up with the case not feeding in the first place.

Sometimes knocking the edge off the corner of the cartridge bar is what is needed.

#14 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

I offer $20 for the Tanfo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#15 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Too much tension can cause the extractor not to function but that will show up with the case not feeding in the first place.

Sometimes knocking the edge off the corner of the cartridge bar is what is needed.

I was following up until cartridge bar. What’s a cartridge bar?

#16 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

I offer $20 for the Tanfo.

I’ll keep this in mind.
  • MEISTERB likes this

#17 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

I’ll keep this in mind.

😁

#18 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

I didn’t have luck when I tried the XP extractor spring. Some extractors seem to last longer than others.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#19 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

This is a problem my gun never had. I’ll be interested in what rhe fix turns out to be.

That said, I’d run 100 rounds of new factory ammo through the gun as a diagnostic step.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#20 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

My only problem with that is, it went about 1500 rounds without happening and now is back. I aint buying 1500 rounds of factory ammo. I cleaned the shit out of the extractor, if I have to just keep the extractor super clean to run thats fine. 1500 rounds isnt a ton though, and driving the extractor pin in and out every 1000 or so rounds is lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users